My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Codebooks

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
As far as I know, you cannot teach a student out of the Codebook (as in his presence) nor can it be on Lodge property. With that said, what does the Bylaws say in regards to who can own one? Does it specifically state only Master Masons? I don't see what the fuss is all about if an EA has one. Heck, I'm still having a hard to reading it. It's a great tool to refresh your memory, not so much for finding out what lies ahead in the next degree.

R

RJS

That is the answer I am looking for. I don't think it specifies who can and can't own one. I agree that it is no replacement for instruction, but it seems only natural that it would make a nice supplement to it.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Brother David you are right brother Cecil B. Curry in his resolution no.8, he did mention those books, but in the actual law change no book or specific books was mentioned.

See the following LAWS.

Chapter 2 – TITLE V
Masonic Disciplinary Violation

Art.505
20. Possess, of use a cipher/code book anywhere on a Lodge premises, and to use a cipher/code book in the presence of a candidate when instructing the candidate in the esoteric work of a Masonic Degree. (Revised 2007).

Art. 650. Inquiry Into “Cypher Work†It shall be the duty of District Deputy Grand Masters to strictly inquire into the use of any “cipher work†in the possession of the Lodges or members thereof, and report the same to the Grand Master.

B

Brother Secretary

Not as a matter of law. I like the idea of GL not saying it's illegal for someone anyone to own any book. Bad things tend to happen when governing bodies tell those they govern that particular books are illegal. Even one as benevolent as ours.

I guess my point is akin to the advice I received in my petition process, "if you google the right words, you can find the ritual word by word and step by step. DON'T. It will mean more to you if you're seeing it for the first time in your degree."

If you're reasonably intelligent and you're taught the EA work up to the obligation, you have the keys to the cipher. You know enough to read that entire book. The next page after the end of the EA trail lecture is the opening of the FC Lodge and the FC Degree conferral.

Imagine if as a candidate you knew exactly what was going to happen next in your degrees.

R

RJS

Chapter 2 – TITLE V
Masonic Disciplinary Violation

Art.505
20. Possess, of use a cipher/code book anywhere on a Lodge premises, and to use a cipher/code book in the presence of a candidate when instructing the candidate in the esoteric work of a Masonic Degree. (Revised 2007).

Art. 650. Inquiry Into “Cypher Work” It shall be the duty of District Deputy Grand Masters to strictly inquire into the use of any “cipher work” in the possession of the Lodges or members thereof, and report the same to the Grand Master.

The Articles make no reference as to who can own a code book.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jwardl

I guess my point is akin to the advice I received in my petition process, "if you google the right words, you can find the ritual word by word and step by step. DON'T. It will mean more to you if you're seeing it for the first time in your degree."

I understand this isn't your point, but I've never actually been able to find the precise wording of the TEXAS degrees, and am pretty good at finding what I want on the internet. Not saying it isn't there, but IME, it's not easy to find.

OTOH, it's probably not important that what one finds be specific to Texas when it comes to a candidate coming across it before passing through the degree. The essence of the experience would still be spoiled. Also, some find it harder to re-learn the correct wording than to learn it fresh in the first place.

B

Brother Secretary

I was referring to the Eph511 site, yeah I know that it's AZ work & not TX, but when I say "know exactly what's coming next" I don't mean if it's an "and" or an "or" coming next.... I mean if it's a setting maul coming next.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
If the instructing brother can not use the cipher/code book in the presence of a candidate when instructing the candidate in the esoteric work of a Masonic Degrees then I would assume they, EA, FC and MM candidate can not have one.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I was referring to the Eph511 site, yeah I know that it's AZ work & not TX, but when I say "know exactly what's coming next" I don't mean if it's an "and" or an "or" coming next.... I mean if it's a setting maul coming next.

I purchased the ritual book that the Eph511 site uses, and it's quite a read. And no, as far as I know there are no Texas rituals available online. I would however love to have the codebook in pdf format..lol.

S

skicat1898

For a book that no Mason is suppose to have, the GL has many in storage.

The book is as stated inside the cover a valuable aid to the memory.

I have had one since '97 and refer to it often.

The mistakes are not as numerous as thought. What some believe to be mistakes are not.

Remember, our secrets are not our rituals, they can be found all over the internet or by simply watching the History Channel.

S

skicat1898

Yeah, she kept leaving it in my truck.

I was very lucky to have learned my work from a Life member.

Only reason i am infavor of the cipher books is because the smaller lodges such as mine, are very rapidly losing Senior members due to passing away. Not many younger members are as dedicated.