My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Past Master Apron Rules

chrmc

So an idea I've kicked around for a year or two has been proposing a resolution that would lessen the restrictions on what's allowed on a PM apron. Based on the number of brothers I've seen wearing them, it looks like there's a legitimate desire for it. How would you word the resolution?

Thanks to Brother Bill for the clarifications. As for Mac's question I think it is a good idea, an one that would be support for. The way I'd go about is it to change the present article that reads how PM aprons has to look like and just lessen it. Something along the lines of "A PM apron must fulfil XYZ size, border etc. criteria and must have a square/47th problem etc emblem on them. In addition to this the lodge shall be entitled to put the lodge logo / year / PM name / personal engravings etc. on them as long...."

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I know that, unless otherwise stated, all edicts are null and void at the end of the current GM term

Bro. Vance, that is simply not so. Any GM's Edicts issued during the year are presented to the members of Grand Lodge at the Grand Annual Communication for their consideration. If we approve the edicts (and in most cases we do), they remain in force until changed by another GM or by another vote by the GL members.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
and must have a square/47th problem etc emblem on them

I realize that you are just giving an example, but the 47th Problem of Euclid is the emblem on the aprons issued to members of the Committee on Work. I doubt it would be allowed on any others.

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
Bro. Vance, that is simply not so. Any GM's Edicts issued during the year are presented to the members of Grand Lodge at the Grand Annual Communication for their consideration. If we approve the edicts (and in most cases we do), they remain in force until changed by another GM or by another vote by the GL members.

Thanks, Brother. I stand corrected. I appreciate all the new education I can get. I don't like making the same mistake twice.

Roy Vance
San Angelo Lodge 570 JD
San Angelo, TX
Phil Head Lodge 1415 JW
Carlsbad, TX

chrmc

I realize that you are just giving an example, but the 47th Problem of Euclid is the emblem on the aprons issued to members of the Committee on Work. I doubt it would be allowed on any others.

It was just an example as you say, but good point none the less. I wasn't aware of that.

dfreybur

Premium Member

Interesting and nice variation of practice in the jurisdiction. The 47th problem is the Past master symbol in a lot of jurisdictions outside of the US and a few within the US. Neither of the two where I hold membership but traveling for work I have seen the 47th problem on lapel pins and I recognized them as PM pins.

One of my Masonic Education/Moment talks is on layers of meaning in the various PM symbols. I'll try to remember to include that bit when I offer to present that talk going forward.

crono782

Premium Member
Will somebody provide a real quick explanation of a GL resolution vs GM edict vs GM decision, please?

chrmc

Will somebody provide a real quick explanation of a GL resolution vs GM edict vs GM decision, please?

I can cover the first two. A resolution is a suggestion to be incorporated into GL law. It is proposed prior to the yearly GL session, discussed there and voted on.

An edict is something that the GM can issue for his year. This year for instance GM Walt Rogers issued the edict that he wanted all lodges ended with the citing of the Master's charge by the WM. An edict is only good for that GM's year, but they are often adopted into a resolution the following year.

I think that a decision is just something the GM makes a ruling on if there's a dispute, but I'm not certain on that one.

Feel free to correct me should I have misunderstood any of these.

crono782

Premium Member
I was thinking that too. The details online are sparse, but I found this quote from MasonicWorld:

"In the narrower sense, Masonic law rest upon the Old Constitutions, the Old Charges and the Landmarks; the superstructure is made up of the Constitutions and By-Laws of Grand Lodges; the decisions of Grand Lodges on appeals; the edicts of Grand Masters; the decisions of Grand Masters, sometimes standing without review, more often reviewed and confirmed by Grand Lodges."

So yes? A decision is basically kinda like an edict, but in response to an appeal that requires them to "decide"? Whereas an edict is a self standing proclamation?

Last edited:

Ecossais

In the MM Obligation we agreed to abide by the Grand Lodge Law, ALL parts thereof. A violation of any part of one's Obligation IS a Masonic Disciplinary Violation.

When the current description of a "regulation" Past Master's apron was written, as it appears in Article 273 of our Grand Lodge Law, it specifically did not outlaw the Past Masters' aprons that were still in use. The pertinent part of the article reads: "In addition to using the Past Master's now being worn, it shall be permissible for Past Masters to wear aprons with the same design and insignia as provided for the Worshipful Master, but the addition of the Arc (or Quadrant) under the points of the Compasses would be optional."

So, it appears that this means if you have a Past Masters apron that was in use at the time this law went into effect, you can wear it without fear of Brother Bill Lins bringing you up on Masonic charges.

As I said before, I have seen many different Past Masters' aprons being worn, and some are fairly new. But, I have never seen a Brother harassed or criticized for wearing a Past Master's apron that was not "regulation."

But, since we have some who want to be sticklers, be aware that if your PM apron is bordered in anything other than "blue silk velvet or braid, one inch in width," then it is not regulation.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I can cover the first two. A resolution is a suggestion to be incorporated into GL law. It is proposed prior to the yearly GL session, discussed there and voted on.

An edict is something that the GM can issue for his year. This year for instance GM Walt Rogers issued the edict that he wanted all lodges ended with the citing of the Master's charge by the WM. An edict is only good for that GM's year, but they are often adopted into a resolution the following year.

I think that a decision is just something the GM makes a ruling on if there's a dispute, but I'm not certain on that one.

Feel free to correct me should I have misunderstood any of these.

You hit it pretty closely. If a GM wants one of his edicts to survive his term of office, he can present it to the Brethren at the Grand Annual Communication for their approval. I doubt M:.W:. Rogers will do that with his edict regarding the MM Closing Charge (not the Master's Charge- that's in the Installation of Officers ceremony). GM's Decisions do have to be presented & approved at the GAC- it isn't optional.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
it appears that this means if you have a Past Masters apron that was in use at the time this law went into effect, you can wear it without fear of Brother Bill Lins bringing you up on Masonic charges.

If you'll refer back to my earlier posts, I believe I made it clear that I, personally, wouldn't begin to consider making any kind of fuss over a PM apron. I was answering another Brother's question regarding what could happen should someone else do so. I think we, as a Fraternity, have much greater issues to deal with, survival being the most critical thereof.

MarkR

Premium Member
Personally, I'm glad that Minnesota allows a great deal of latitude in Master Mason and Past Master aprons. About the only rules are that purple and gold are reserved for Grand Lodge, and that the Past Master emblem is the square, compasses, quadrant, and blazing sun.

Mac

Premium Member
I thought here it was the compasses, sun, and quadrant (in the law book).

Don't have it in front of me of course. ;)

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Right you are! (I missed that about the square). You're alright, Mac- I don't care WHAT your professors say about you! :wink:

jwhoff

Premium Member
well now ... they have been quite vocal on the topic of Bro. Mac now, haven't they.

:001_rolleyes:

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
I thought here it was the compasses, sun, and quadrant (in the law book).

Don't have it in front of me of course. ;)

When the current description of a "regulation" Past Master's apron was written, as it appears in Article 273 of our Grand Lodge Law, it specifically did not outlaw the Past Masters' aprons that were still in use. The pertinent part of the article reads: "In addition to using the Past Master's now being worn, it shall be permissible for Past Masters to wear aprons with the same design and insignia as provided for the Worshipful Master, (italics me), but the addition of the Arc (or Quadrant) under the points of the Compasses would be optional."

That was per Bro. Ecossias' earlier post. That is also the way I read it in the Law Book just a few minutes ago. My interpretation would be to have the square and compasses with the blazing sun over the quadrant, but that is just my interpretation. I do not want to misstate and cause any problems or controversy.
:45:
Roy Vance
San Angelo Lodge 570 JD
San Angelo, TX
Phil Head Lodge 1415 JW
Carlsbad, TX

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
PM gold.jpg