My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The evils of democracy

Sirius

Tom you make an excellent point about CNN and whatnot. Would Medicare have passed if there was CNN at the time? Or Social Security? How would have Truman been treated for desegregating the military?

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
and i'm saying that it's always been the way it is now.

So you are saying that the internet, cable/satellite TV, etc, have always existed, and have been blaring political agendas at us 24 hours a day since the beginning of our government? Facts are not on your side here. lol

Newspapers used to have an editorial section where opinions went. Now opinions are front page stuff.

Back in the day, farmer Joe down in the valley probably didn't get the New York Times, or any of those other big-time papers. Now, farmer Joe just has to turn on his TV and there it is. What I've been saying (over and over) is that with technology advancing, centralized political media plays a bigger role than it did back in those days, and to say otherwise is madness.. ! It is an inevitability..!

Last edited:

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Would Medicare have passed if there was CNN at the time? Or Social Security? How would have Truman been treated for desegregating the military?

Depends of what side of the issue CNN would have been on, and what it's ratings were at the time.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
So you are saying that the internet, cable/satellite TV, etc, have always existed, and have been blaring political agendas at us 24 hours a day since the beginning of our government? Facts are not on your side here. lol

Newspapers used to have an editorial section where opinions went. Now opinions are front page stuff.

Back in the day, farmer Joe down in the valley probably didn't get the New York Times, or any of those other big-time papers. Now, farmer Joe just has to turn on his TV and there it is. What I've been saying (over and over) is that with technology advancing, centralized political media plays a bigger role than it did back in those days, and to say otherwise is madness.. ! It is an inevitability..!

do i really have to go dig up an 1850's era farmer's almanac to find civil war propaganda for you? it was much more absurd and blatant back then, too.

sure, nowadays we are exposed to news much more often. but in terms of percentage of that news that is what we're talking about? the same.

owls84

Premium Member
I don't really have a whole lot to add to this other than, media views are way more present today than a Farmer's Almanac. It is impossible to go a day without getting a onesided view of how someone feels on this heathcare bill (or any other bill or view). It is on the radio when you get in your car, on the internet when you go to a homepage. I have it on my intranet homepage at work to make my company look good. It goes on and on. Was there propaganda back then yes but you can't tell me it influenced people like it does today.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
...And more exposure means more influence.

what if your only exposure is the propaganda pamphlet? sure, it may be less exposure as a whole, but if it's the only access to news you have, you're more likely to

the internet brings with it more exposure, but it also brings more diverse exposure, where you can find differing opinions, etc.

check this out. if this is the only access to information about California at the time, wouldn't you move out there?

Ca-cornucopia_of_the_world.jpg

talk about getting off-topic though. Democracy is bad, mmm-kay?

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
what if your only exposure is the propaganda pamphlet? sure, it may be less exposure as a whole, but if it's the only access to news you have, you're more likely to

Yeah, assuming you actually made it into town everyday to look at the newest "nailed up pamphlet," assuming you were literate and could read the pamphlet, assuming even that a new propaganda pamphlet was printed every day.

I'd be willing to bet that a greater portion of the population in those times was illiterate, compared to the percentage of the country's population today who doesn't own a TV or radio.

Big deal. Propaganda has always been around, but we are talking about the media's influence on partisan politics.