My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The rush to attract new members

Jacob Johnson

I agree, solicitation is a bad idea. I also think that much of this is our own fault... Masonry was CHURNING out candidates in the early 20th century. There are pictures of lodges with lines of candidates circling the building, just waiting to get inside. Masonry survived 300 years BEFORE the American Fraternal Boom of the early 20th century. I have no doubts or worries that Masonry will survive another 300 years AFTER the American Fraternal Bust. The problem is that we expected that boom to continue. But it'll be ok. The symbols are everywhere, and the young men we bring in seem to be very serious about the craft. Sure, there will be some attrition. All organizations deal with attrition to different extents.

I do, however, also believe that we need to step it up on our content. We need more masonic education discussions/lectures and more social activities outside of the lodge. I can't help but think of the old ball players telling Kevin Costner "if you build it, they will come". That's good advice for the craft. We need to build something that draws men to its beautiful proportions.

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
Jacob Johnson said:
I do, however, also believe that we need to step it up on our content. We need more masonic education discussions/lectures and more social activities outside of the lodge. I can't help but think of the old ball players telling Kevin Costner "if you build it, they will come". That's good advice for the craft. We need to build something that draws men to its beautiful proportions.

I have been preaching this since about day 2 of my Masonic career. This generation of Freemasons wants EDUCATION... discussions, debate, research, history.

At the end of the 3rd degree, we were told (paraphrasing): "We've taught you all we can, go out and learn more yourself." This is wise counsel, as every Mason should take responsibility for his own Masonic education. However, this does not absolve the institution of any its responsibilities for providing a structured, relevant and timely educational environment.

Timothy Fleischer

As a member of the younger generation (I'm 23) I truly believe we're about to see a new generation enter Masonry. Some of my college friends younger than me by a couple of years are interested, but they'd rather wait till they graduate to petition. Yet they already ask me about it. We're on the verge of an upswing if you ask me.

Amen Brother! One of my proudest moments as a Mason was when I raised my 20-year-old nephew to the Sublime Degree. I was the top line signer of his petition and worked with him to teach him the work. He is proud of his membership. His good friend (another college student and ROTC member like my nephew) asked him for a petition. I was proud to be a recommender on his petition, as well.

Young men are looking for something more important than they are, something with meaning and importance. Masonry offers that. We offer it to the banker and the biker, the Doctor and the college student.

cemab4y

Premium Member
The Grand Lodge of Oklahoma has a "college liaison" program. Lodges in college towns, will schedule meetings at the various Greek fraternities. The Masons go in to the meetings, and distribute literature about Masonry, or play a video with the Ben Franklin impersonator. The Masons will hold a "question and answer" session, and explain Masonry. These young men, are already "joiners", and understand the benefits of networking. The result is a slew of petitions.

We need to realize, that we need to "hit" these prospects "upstream", before they graduate. Before they get married, and take on the responsiblities of career and family. If we can get them into Masonry, while they are still in college, we will have them for life. And we will be getting "quality" men, professional men. What a terrific idea!

SEE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1_HV85Tgys

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiisiJ5wIIw

Last edited:

Jacob Johnson

Yesterday I went through the shrine... Even more so than with Scottish Rite, I found that the VAST majority of our New Nobles (myself of course included) are 25-35yrs old. A lot of the guys said something to the effect of "I need something bigger than myself". I think that's DEFINITELY a defining characteristic of this generation. We have a higher percentage of "joiners" for sure, but I think we have a higher percentage of young people who are disillusioned with the normal "clique" style of socializing as well. I think my generation is reacting to a lack of honor and mutual respect in our communities. What better place to prove that honor is not dead, than the Lodge?

This generation is certainly interested in high quality Masonic Education. Yes, we are supposed to bring ourselves to additional light, but we also have a duty to share our knowledge. That's why there is talk around my lodge of putting together an Education program, with short talks before or after the business meeting.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
The Grand Lodge of Oklahoma has a "college liaison" program. Lodges in college towns, will schedule meetings at the various Greek fraternities. The Masons go in to the meetings, and distribute literature about Masonry, or play a video with the Ben Franklin impersonator. The Masons will hold a "question and answer" session, and explain Masonry. These young men, are already "joiners", and understand the benefits of networking. The result is a slew of petitions...
...as a result of outright recruiting of men who join for mercenary reasons.

There are lots of organizations that encourage "networking". Indeed, for some, that's their whole reason to be. Freemasonry is not one of them. We don't need more "members", especially those who are in it for "professional" advancement. We need Masons. We have enough of the others already.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
...as a result of outright recruiting of men who join for mercenary reasons.

There are lots of organizations that encourage "networking". Indeed, for some, that's their whole reason to be. Freemasonry is not one of them. We don't need more "members", especially those who are in it for "professional" advancement. We need Masons. We have enough of the others already.

There have been quite a few of those that joined through these programs for reasons other than just joining to be joining. They have not joined for "mercenary reasons". Take a look at the website for Frontier Lodge in Stillwater, OK. The website is www.stillwatermasons.com. There are a lot of college students that are very active in that lodge and are holding various offices. I would say that had it not been for a program like that that there were many worthy Brothers that would have been otherwise overlooked.

Also I believe that there will be some that don't belong. We can't however overlook those that would benefit from Masonry and Masonry benefit from them simply to avoid a few bad apples.

I don't really view it as recruiting as much as it is an informational type presentation. Of course that is just my opinion. Good or bad it seems to be bringing people in and that means money so I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Zack

Good or bad it seems to be bringing people in and that means money so I don't see it going away anytime soon.

And therein lies the problem. IMO.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
Good or bad it seems to be bringing people in and that means money so I don't see it going away anytime soon.

And therein lies the problem. IMO.
Exactly. As long as the focus is on "more members" (more revenue), the other priorities (guarding the West Gate) are prone to getting less attention than they deserve. ODC's are prime example of this, though it might be argued that those hurt most in that case are the candidates. Regardless, it's the argument that "what matters most is getting another member" that is at play here.

Done properly, (and by "properly" I mean appropriately sized lodges that actually labor as Masons and which have a balance sheet that allows them to do so without worrying about getting "more members") a Lodge will have no need for recruitment efforts. As Brent has pointed out, the demand is already there. If we actually deliver on the promise, we will have all the candidates we can handle.

Last edited:

Beathard

Premium Member
As part of my LIFE program (second time through in 20 years) I researched the growth of Mina Lodge in Bastrop. We have grown each year for the last 3. We are on track for another record year this year. It is not due to recruitment. It is due to getting out in the community and providing service. People want to be part of something that is making a difference.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Exactly. As long as the focus is on "more members" (more revenue), the other priorities (guarding the West Gate) are prone to getting less attention than they deserve. ODC's are prime example of this, though it might be argued that one's hurt most in that case are the candidates. Regardless, it's the argument that what matters most is getting another member that is at play here.

Done properly, (and by "properly" I mean appropriately sized lodges that actually labor as Masons and which have a balance sheet that allows them to do so without worrying about getting "more members") a Lodge will have no need for recruitment efforts. As Brent has pointed out, the demand is already there. If we actually deliver on the promise, we will have all the candidates we can handle.

I couldn't agree more. As is oft the case money is the driving factor behind so many different things. We want new members but the problem is that so many times our lodges want new ones who will be active and take the mantle from the older members in order for the lodge to survive, but the GL wants new members for the increase in revenue.

I didn't come to Masonry looking for a "club" to join. As with many people I didn't really know what it was I was looking for but when I found Masonry it just "clicked". I found a place that offered me more than I could have ever hoped for. I know that there are many more out there like me but don't know where to turn to find answers. Things like what the GLoO is doing is great for that exposure but as was said earlier it may not guard the West Gate properly.

My Lodge does not actively seek out new members but yet we get a fairly steady flow of people seeking to gain admission. We have no Facebook page or website, the only place we advertise anything is the listing in the phone book for the Lodge. So in the end we aren't worried about new members because we can function just fine without them. I know there are some that aren't that lucky.

In the end we will survive and continue on. We just need to find that happy balance of finding new members and promoting ourselves and staying true to our ideals.