My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Widow's Sons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy Fleischer

This is from the Texas Grand Lodge website, concerning the Widow's Sons:

January 6, 2011​
To the Masons of Texas:

Grand Master’s Edict​
I have been advised that some Texas Masons presently belong to an organization operating under the name of “Widows Sons Masonic Motorcycle Riders Association”. At the 2007 Grand Annual Communication this organization was denied recognition as an organization to which Texas Masons could belong.

Texas Masons are not permitted to belong to, or be identified with, the organization known as “Widows Sons Masonic Motorcycle Riders Association” unless and until such organization is recognized by the Grand Lodge of Texas, and to do so constitutes a Masonic Disciplinary Violation. This Edict is effective immediately. Acts contrary to this edict will result in Masonic Disciplinary action against the violator.

This edict is issued to enforce the 2007 decision of the Grand Lodge of Texas concerning the “Widows Sons Masonic Motorcycle Riders Association”.

Sincerely and fraternally,
T. E. “Gene” Carnes
Grand Master of Masons in Texas

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
The wording of this leads me to a question: Is it typical for a Grand Lodge to regulate all groups to which a Mason of that GL may belong, or does this only apply to groups that purport themselves to be allied to Freemasonry?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The Grand Master & Grand Lodge only have authority to regulate membership to those groups which require their members to be Masons.

Last year the then Grand Master issued an edict that Texas Masons could not belong to an organization called the "Confederation of Clubs", which is a group of motorcycle clubs which lobby the Texas Legislature regarding legislation affecting motorcyclists. As CoC does not restrict its membership to Masons only, the GM had no authority to issue such an edict, and it was, thus, invalid. The first part of the statute is quoted below:

"Art. 225a. Other Organizations, predicating membership on Masonic membership, recognized.

In addition to those organizations recognized in Art. 225, next above, as being entitled to use Lodgerooms and Anterooms of Subordinate Lodges, the Grand Lodge of Texas may recognize and authorize other organizations which predicate membership on Masonic membership.(italics mine)

Recognition and authorization must take place by approval of the Grand Lodge in Grand Communication. After an organization has been recognized and authorized by the Grand Lodge of Texas in Grand Communication, pursuant to this Art. 225a, Texas Masons may participate in, and be a part of, such organizations."

Last edited:

jvarnell

Premium Member
As a new Freemason this thread bothers me (EA at this time). I can see the Grand Lodge of Texas being able to say that the Widows Son is not a reconized Mason orgination in Texas and tell Texas Mason that that it is reconized. But to tell "Free" Masons they can not belong to an orgination is another thing. I don't want to cause my self a problem but it strikes me as odd and wish some one would explain it to me.

I also have been looking for a Msonic RC/MC because I can be insured of the ideals of the members. I contacted the FMRC and they won't even tell me if there are any groups that meet in the DFW area, but the Widows Son will say where the groups are located.

This sounds like the way the Bandito run stuff. If you have a 3 part patch/ colors of a club and have not had it aporved by their El hefa it is put on their forbidden list and you have trouble. I see a defreance in being forbidden and just not being reconized.

Can someone please help me with the this thread it is just one of many I have been reading after becomming a member here.

stephenaulds

jvarnell,

I'm just as much at a loss for understanding here as you. I just don't get this. It would seem that the Grand Lodge of Texas is taking the Widow's Sons at "face value" in that they see patches, and motorcycles and assume the group to be nefarious in some why. If this is the case, it doesn't sit right with me for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that simply asking a Mason who is a member of this club about it's activities should be enough to gain an understanding of whether they are Masonic, anti-Masonic, or otherwise. Masons which I find to be Regular and on the level are neither in the habit of being untruthful with one another, nor associating with any organization that would bring discredit to the Fraternity.

As to a "free"-Mason being able to go where he pleases, I would say that you absolutely correct! Once you take your MM degree you will be asked why you became an MM. The answer to that question will support this argument.

jvarnell

Premium Member
As a EA I am trying to digest the work I am doing. This seams counter. I would also like to hear form brothers that have more experance with edicts. I am "not" a Widows Sons member but just trying to understand this edict when I ran across this thread.

stephenaulds

It's part of the Obligation of an MM to obey the edicts of his Grand Lodge. That's as it should be in any Regular Lodge. I just can't understand why any Grand Lodge would issue an edict like this. I think the Craft as a whole would benefit from some good and wholesome instruction on the matter.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro. Varnell,

The reason the "Widow's Sons" was not recognized by the Grand Lodge of Texas is because we (the members of the GLoT) felt that their group did not present a favorable image of Masonry to the public. GM Carnes' edict was a reminder to the Brethren that WS was not recognized and, thus, Texas Masons could not belong to it. It was WE, and not the GM, who made the decision not to recognize WS.

The reason FMRC would not answer your questions is that you must be a Master Mason before you can join any Masonically-related organization. EAs & FCs are not eligible. There are FMRC chapters in the Dallas area & I'll be happy to give you contact information for them once you have been raised.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
It's part of the Obligation of an MM to obey the edicts of his Grand Lodge. That's as it should be in any Regular Lodge. I just can't understand why any Grand Lodge would issue an edict like this. I think the Craft as a whole would benefit from some good and wholesome instruction on the matter.

How far does this obligation reach, though?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If I understand your question correctly, my answer would be that I would obey all valid & lawful edicts issued by the Grand Master. If I know an edict is not valid and lawful, I do not consider myself bound by it. BTW, edicts are only in effect until voted upon by the members of the Grand Lodge at the Grand Annual Communication. The Grand Master must present them to us & explain why he issued them. If we approve them, they remain in effect. If not, they expire immediately.

stephenaulds

How far does the Obligation of a Master Mason reach? All the way to the Celestial Lodge would be my knee jerk response there.

On the other hand...

"that cement which unites us into one common band or society of friends, or brothers among whom no contention should ever exist save for that noble contention, or rather emulation of who best can Work, and best agree."

I wish I knew more about the widow's sons in Texas, and why it is that Texas Masons are now forbidden to join so that I could have a better understanding on the matter.

Last edited:

jvarnell

Premium Member
Thank you all for the replies I did not know I was going to cause a problem with my questions but it looks like I have already steped in it. Also when I was trying to find out about this I was wanting to be a part of a morally up riding org. group that rides and not in name only. I live in Duncanville and if there is not a FMRC group (that meets) in the south part of Dallas I guess I will have to stay a lone rider. I know that I can join the FMRC when I am raised, I was just looking for information for that day. I don't think that it should be bad to tell people that ask there is a group that meets once a ???? and has about ????? active members near ????? part of town. When I found 2 groups on the internet claming to be Mosinic RC/MC's I thought that I would find one near me so I could ride with brothers and not be a lone rider any more. Then I saw the edict and tryed to find out what was wrong with the WS. I have long hair not as long as Albert Pike but long. I wear a leather vest when I ride to protect me and it has patches in cluding a one peice large family patch on the back. I might look bad but it is the internal and not the external my true brothers look at. As I get older and I am known in the Elecrtic Power business (and the best at it) I can look like I want to in business. I have been getting closer to the Pike look every day.

DSC00477.jpg

I hope it was their actions and not there look that caused the problem. I also hope I am not causeing problems with The Masons of Texas with my questioning and that my questions are not being taken as being defiant but a true quest for understanding.

stephenaulds

Don't feel bad Brother. As an EA you're both entitled and expected to ask as many questions as you can think up. It's our responsibility to field your questions with the best possible answers that we can provide.

It's my personal belief that Masonry should find it's way into every part of a Mason's life be it riding motorcycles, weaving baskets, playing chess, or whatever. Just about every activity that one can do with a group of people is made all the better when done in the company of Masons if only for the fact that, when in the company of Masons, you're in the company of just and up right people.

I would ride with you if I were back home in Texas, but I'm up here in the frozen north. :lol:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Thank you all for the replies I did not know I was going to cause a problem with my questions but it looks like I have already steped in it.

There is no problem with your questions nor have you stepped in it. (yet. :wink:)

I saw the edict and tryed to find out what was wrong with the WS.

I think a large part of the problem with the WS was their patch featuring the girl & the "stripper's pole". The vast majority of members of the Grand Lodge (most of whom are not "fans" of motorcycling to begin with) did not consider it appropriate for a Mason to display publicly. It didn't help that the WS Brethren who proposed recognition had already left the auditorium to hit the bars when the subject of the patch came up.

I also hope I am not causeing problems with The Masons of Texas with my questioning and that my questions are not being taken as being defiant but a true quest for understanding.

Not a problem. If my earlier response gave you that idea, I apologize.

jvarnell

Premium Member
I found 2 Widows son back patches.
WS_Vest_Back.jpg
image13.gif
The only thing I saw that was questionable was on the Florida chapter web page. But I don't ride to suport a neet patch and will wair my famaly pacth even if I Join a RC/MC. The only thing I noticed about the second WS it is a 3 part patch and that has a meaning in the biker world that could get a lone rider wairing this patch hurt. The top rocker or cut is who they are and the bottom rocker or cut is there staked out territory and if it dosen't say a proper place some 1% MC's will think you are disrespecting their area and force you to remove it. If I had a bottom cut I would put something like Solomons Temple this is territory no one else can clam. I know the GL has rules but the MC's do also and we are in the world with the 1%er. The 1%er MC's earn there patches in three parts of patching and don't get the center till they are compleet. That is why ithe FMRC patch is a very good one it has rockers that are a part of the single patch and it also goes along with having to be a MM before getting it.

The FMRC patch is a very good one also.

freemasonrc200.jpg

E

eagle1966

"I think a large part of the problem with the WS was their patch featuring the girl & the "stripper's pole". The vast majority of members of the Grand Lodge (most of whom are not "fans" of motorcycling to begin with) did not consider it appropriate for a Mason to display publicly. It didn't help that the WS Brethren who proposed recognition had already left the auditorium to hit the bars when the subject of the patch came up."
I take exception to this, I was there and know the brother who made recommendation, he was not there when the revote came up because he ill and not a the bar! the patch was just a item used by an unhappy group who were denied a chapter because they did not want ot conform to the group but wanted to do thier on thing. but let us remember " it is the internal not the external..." know your facts

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
The only thing I saw that was questionable was on the Florida chapter web page.

Just like Bro. Bill Lins said, something to do with a patch (or even maybe just a logo of some sort) having something to do with a woman had a part in all of this. I remember when this stuff came up quite a while back. I did look around at the time and specifically remember a site that had not only a woman with a stripper pole, but I'm pretty much certain I remember a woman with an exposed breast. Don't know if it is was part of the patch or if it was just a logo or image meant for their site (it was a prominent feature on the site, I know that...lol). One reason you may not find anything to do with what myself and Bro. Bill Lins has stated is because the WS MIGHT be trying to meet the GLoT in the middle and change up some of their public images. Like, they may be actively trying to go about the things they need to do to be removed from the naughty list and become "recognized".

I don't have ALL the details surrounding the controversy, but I really do believe that the stripper pole girl/half naked girl images were a BIG part of all of this. I really don't think that it had anything to do with they typical "biker look" of having long hair, facial hair, wearing leather vests with crests on it. If the primary reason is because of the nudey girl patch/logo, I support what the GLoT did. Lol don't get me wrong, I like the female body as much as any guy, but I don't like the idea of putting the words "Freemason" or "Mason" on the same patch/logo that has the picture of a half naked chick wearing fishnet stalking and grabbing a stripper pole. Lol at least not publicly. This Fraternity is about morals, family, and having standards in life to make our communities and world a better place. And in my opinion, if you have a group of guys riding around on bikes (whether they look like the typical biker or not, and a bunch of guys on bikes has nothing to do with this opinion itself) with a patch and a website pasted with a picture of a big set of hooters and a stripper pole and a crest that says "Freemason", that takes away from the public's positive look on the Order.

That is just the opinion of this guy, though. Like I said, I don't know ALL of the details, and can only go off what I have been told, seen and read. Whether this was the only reason, the primary reason, or if it was just one of many, if the WS do want to make the effort to change what is needed to become recognized and not banned by our GL, I support that. I welcome the thought of having another organization that is associated with Freemasonry as long as they dive into the Masonic morals and principles and can abide by the governing institutions.

Last edited:

stephenaulds

I don't believe I would support a woman on a stripper pole being placed next to...or anywhere near the GLs. Those two images don't seem to go together in my mind. I wonder though, would the GloT be able to simply instruct the WS to change that image? It seems like a reasonable request.

On a slightly related note, does anyone know if the Shriners have any sort of rider's group? They've been known to cut lose once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.