My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Widow's Sons

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRG

Premium Member
You have a restaurant full of bikers and one full of cowboys, which one do you take your family inti for a meal?

rpbrown

Premium Member
You have a restaurant full of bikers and one full of cowboys, which one do you take your family inti for a meal?

Really wouldnt matter. Have taken them into both many times. But that is different people in different settings. What I am talking about is the same person with only a change in hat and mode of transportation. What, in your eys, make him (me) a different person?

Mac

Premium Member
The image doesn't actually have a stripper pole. The woman depicted on it is wearing something skin-tight...perhaps a leotard. Shows some cleavage. She is crouching, and appears to be scratching her head, or adjusting her hair. The members of the WS who have commented on our concerns about this image say that it depicts their vision of a Mason's widow. Personally, that is enough information for me to make my decision.

I personally wouldn't want brothers' feelings to get hurt over a conversation regarding the internal versus the external, if the impetus for the conversation is something altogether different. Wasn't WS not recognized for the above-mentioned patch? I agree that it is inappropriate for Masons to appear so clothed (with a scantily clad woman on their back).

I suppose that could be extended to this conversation by pointing out that a brother dressed as others have described (black vest, etc) might misrepresent the fraternity. If that brother is rude or gets in trouble, while so dressed, he reflects poorly on Freemasonry.

But so does a rude man in a Fez with a beer at a dance at the Shrine. It almost never happens in my area, but I feel bad when it does.

It's not the vest or the Fez that makes this person rude, or a poor representation of us, and I think we all recognize it.

(I'm sure we've all seen unmasonic behavior inside a masonic lodge, while the brother was clothed as a mason even)

scialytic

Premium Member
Getting Back on Track --> Re: The Widow's Sons

I've been watching this discussion for some time now. What strikes me as absurd is that a young Brother like yourself has not taken heed to the guidance from our more mature Brothers that frequent this forum. The same points have been explained several times over. That was disconcerting in itself, but to see you write so glibly about edicts from our Most Worshipful Grand Masters and laws voted into place by the Past Masters, sitting Masters, and Wardens of our Texas Lodges is incredulous. It appears that you are having difficulty conforming to the rules, regulations, and customs of our beloved Fraternity.

If a Brother in my Lodge refused to heed the good counsel whispered into his ear and continue to act refractory and argumentative when approached with sage advice, I would likely protest that he (if not a Master Mason already) not be Raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason and afford him more time to learn his working tools. If he was a Master Mason, I would strongly consider bringing the fact that he rode with the Widows Sons to the Worshipful Master's attention or even file Masonic charges myself if I felt strongly enough about it.

My personal opinion is that you have not shown proficiency in the preceding degrees--based on reading your comments on this, and several other threads. As I write this, I will also perform a self-evaluation of sorts on myself, because I know I have faults that need work as well. I pray that you see yours and that you can work them out before somebody in your Lodge comes to the same conclusion that I have...and persues instructing you utilizing disciplinary tools.

I say all this in the kindest way possible. It is not my intent to embarrass or hurt you. I want you to continue to grow and apply Masonic principles to your daily life. Please take this as constructive feedback, because that is how I am meaning it to be received.

Take care Brother.

As I was reading the Charge to the Candidate for Brother Crono being Passed to the Degree of a Fellow of the Craft (I'm eternally grateful to you and Keller Lodge, Crono...I am really honored and you are one impressive Brother; you will be an extremely impressive Mason), I reread the Charge several times before I assumed the role of Master to deliver the Charge to Brother Crono.

I did a lot of contemplating while studying the Charge and reflected back on this and many other conversations between the Brethren and yourself Brother Varnell. I really hope that you understand that (most) everything that has been directed to you from your Brethren in comments like above, have been made in an attempt to "admonish with friendship." It may not feel like that on the receiving end, but I know that is my intent.

I know that you are a curious Brother and that this disposition is compounded by much life-experience. Many of us probably just aren't understanding why you are making some of the comments that you make, or asking the questions that you ask. I've been taking them with a grain of salt because I also share that (generally much-despised) characteristic. The red flag for me was when you mentioned that you had rode with Widows Sons (or mentioned it as a hypothetical situation) because that is something that could drastically impact your Masonic future within this Jurisdiction--and consequently--most others. You will be a Mason for life, but an expelled or suspended Mason loses communication with the Brethren and that is a lot of what our Fraternity is about.

I do apologize for the tone of my previous posts if they offended you. I do, however, encourage you to reread the Brothers' posts. There is a lot of wisdom and sagacity in them. The majority of the Brothers that respond to your inquiries have provided really good answers...and some are from crusty old farts that don't want to deal with people that question anything about Masonry...but that's life! It takes all kinds...

And on this forum, I guarantee that there is far more signal than noise. Please reread what you can, and take an unbiased position when reading them. There are many things that you swore to uphold that you may (and will) completely disagree with. You can work on changing that when you become one of the top three officers of your Lodge or a Past Master because then you'll have a vote in Grand Lodge. Until then, keep asking and be sure to know your audience. If they don't seem the type to like bikers...don't bother trying to change their minds, focus on something else.

The Stoics have a great philosophy where they say that you should only focus your energy and emotions on things that directly affect you and that you can actually change. If somebody doesn't like that you ride a motorcycle, they probably never will...because they probably didn't like them long before they met you. But what you can change is how they perceive you. I'm not saying change who you are, but let them see the "you" that they are most likely going to appreciate. If an enormous tree falls in your path, you can try to move the tree to get by it; or, you can just drive around it. Focus your energy on what you can directly affect.

Whatever you decide to do, just be careful. There are a few people out there that will gun for you if they don't like what they see. Especially if you are not a Master Mason. All it takes is three protests to put a halt to your degree progression. And you are going to be a great Mason. You are excited, passionate, and inquisitive. Let's just focus that energy on things that can be changed, and trust in your Brethren. They are very knowledgeable and have been at this for quite some time. If they comment on your post, it is worth really thinking about...in many contexts.

Now I'm throwing that "take care" that you threw back at me and I'm throwing it back at you. Take care Brother.

Last edited:

scialytic

Premium Member
And with that: This thread is dead! [Da-Dum-Dum-TSsccchhh]

Could we have this thread locked up please? Brother Varnell does not plan to continue this discussion and neither do I. May peace and harmony prevail my Brothers.

If we want the conversation about bikers and cowboys to continue, please post it on a new thread. And for the record: it really doesn't bother me if you wear a leather vest--as long as you wear a shirt under it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.