My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Widow's Sons

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpbrown

Premium Member
Now there are those that want to regulate what I wear or ride.

I wear a black leather vest with the square and compass on the back with Mason above and AF & AM below. Again, I do not belong to any orginization other than my ble lodge and the Scottish Rite. These vests are worn only by Master Masons and have been worn for all to see at the family day in Arlington for the last 3 years. WE were even selling them for a fundraiser for our lodge.

The leather vest is for somewhat of body protection in case of an accident. The embroidery is made of a gold reflective thread. Therefore it is a much for safety as anything.

I thought that a mason was to be judged by what was on the inside and not on his outward appearance. It seems there are some that want to judge me differently because I ride a motorcycle and wear a black leather vest. Perhaps those are the ones that need to be judged.

scialytic

Premium Member
EDIT: I get that it's not to be taken seriously, but...

Who *wouldn't* wanna shoot 50 kW lasers???
:45:

Anything with "pew-pews" in the title has a special place in my heart...

[h=1]"Rheinmetall 50kW laser weapon aces latest test, pew-pews a 3-inch ballistic target"[/h]
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/rheinmetall-50kw-laser-weapon-aces-latest-test/

Another interesting thing to think about is that the current generations view us with a bit of...well...disinterest. A lot of this has to do with the change in times, advent of of unbelievably accessible technology, and access to a large portion of any of our secrets via a web search (so they believe). This doesn't mean that they will remain disinterested when they meet a Mason somewhere after their niece recently had a successful surgery at the Scottish Rite Hospital. It just isn't the same as it was thirty years ago when word spread about the great deeds of good men.

I personally think that how we are perceived by the community is more important now that it ever was. We are truly a society suffering from "attention deficit disorder" (no offense to anyone suffering from ADD). It is imperative for the continued success of this Fraternity that we make effective first-impressions. Now, I'm not saying that S&C flags in a convoy of bikes isn't the right impression...but we really need to be cognizant of the fact: The people you see from day-to-day may never make another conscious connection to the Fraternity...so go out of your way to make it an impressive one!

rpbrown

Premium Member
So I was accepted in my lodge while I rode a motorcycle but now I am no konger accepted for the same reason. I am no different now than I was then but I guess I am fortunate that I did not petition a lodge that some of you belong to. Seems you think you are somewhat better than the rest of us.

The knowledge that I am recieving here is truely not what I thought the brotherhood of masonry was about. Love my lodge and was accepted in all that I have visited in my journey, but guess I would be turned away from some of yours if I rode up on a motorcycle. Those that really feel that way, I am sorry that I offend you but I am just me. You are still welcome in my lodge any day.

Mac

Premium Member
We have several brethren who arrive at my Lodge on two wheels (when the weather is convenient). I have no issue with it.

Of course, I guess I probably fit one of the stereotypes mentioned above. I've always wanted a motorcycle, just never had the chance or funds. I would get one after graduation if my boss allowed it...

rpbrown

Premium Member
The thing is, I rode a motorcyle long before I became a Mason. Never joined a M/C as I always believed that I did not have to belong to be able to ride.

I joined masonry because it is supposed to make good men better and I believe in most cases do. However, there are those that think the better it made them is better than anyone else.

Do I think we need the WS or Roughians, or even the MC, No. But as I said in an earlier post, there are those that do but they must conform to the laws of GLoT and it is sad that they would come in and not want to follow these laws an expect to be welcome. But it was their choice to do so and the vote of the GLoT was to not admit them.

However, I am an independent rider that happens to be a Mason. I am no different on my bike than I am in m truck. But I took an obligation and in that obligation it says (paraphrasing here) we are not to talk bad about another mason, and I am being judged by some here because I ride a bike. Thats like me lookong down y nose at them in their (insert vehicle of choice here). It is WRONG to do so and against the general intentions of the obligation.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro. Brown,

You either totally misunderstand what has been posted above or you are being deliberately obtuse.

The point those Brethren are trying to make is that THE GENERAL PUBLIC, i.e. "the profane" tend to regard motorcyclists wearing black leather as "bad guys". In addition, the real outlaw clubs, a.k.a. "1%'ers", look askance at those "wannabes" who wear black leather with 3-piece patches. It's a good way to collect an a$$-whipping, or worse. For that specific reason the FMRC forbids them, in addition to geographically-worded patches and those which say "Nomad(s)".

One of the objections brought up @ Grand Lodge regarding the "Ruffians" club is that the word "ruffian", while having a specific meaning to Masons, has an entirely different and derogatory meaning to the public at large.

Neither I nor the majority of my Brethren would turn you away from our Lodge once we knew you were a Brother. However, we are cognizant that the profane DO judge us by our appearance, and the "outlaw" look is not the impression we, as Masons, wish to give them.

I, too, have been riding since long before I became a Mason. Whether I am on my bike or in my truck (both of which have the Square & Compasses on them), I always try to remember that I am a Mason, and do my best to leave a positive impression on those I meet, regardless of the circumstances. I believe it is incumbent upon all of us, riders or not, to do the same.

rpbrown

Premium Member
Bro. Brown,

You either totally misunderstand what has been posted above or you are being deliberately obtuse.

The point those Brethren are trying to make is that THE GENERAL PUBLIC, i.e. "the profane" tend to regard motorcyclists wearing black leather as "bad guys". In addition, the real outlaw clubs, a.k.a. "1%'ers", look askance at those "wannabes" who wear black leather with 3-piece patches. It's a good way to collect an a$$-whipping, or worse. For that specific reason the FMRC forbids them, in addition to geographically-worded patches and those which say "Nomad(s)".

One of the objections brought up @ Grand Lodge regarding the "Ruffians" club is that the word "ruffian", while having a specific meaning to Masons, has an entirely different and derogatory meaning to the public at large.

Neither I nor the majority of my Brethren would turn you away from our Lodge once we knew you were a Brother. However, we are cognizant that the profane DO judge us by our appearance, and the "outlaw" look is not the impression we, as Masons, wish to give them.

I, too, have been riding since long before I became a Mason. Whether I am on my bike or in my truck (both of which have the Square & Compasses on them), I always try to remember that I am a Mason, and do my best to leave a positive impression on those I meet, regardless of the circumstances. I believe it is incumbent upon all of us, riders or not, to do the same.

Although I agree with most of what you have said here, I am in "the public" all of the time and most of the time I am wearing either my Masons vest or my Fellowship Riders vest. Both of which are leather and neither support an area. We (as in those that wear either vests that I ride with) show nothing but a Christian and Masonic attitude. We have been to rallies and to events all over this great nation where the 1% clubs are. Not once have we ever been bothered by them. As for the general public regarding us a "outlaws", in all cases they seem to be relieved that we are Masons or Christians. There is protocal for wearing a vest in public and you have to know and understand that protocal.

I do agree with the issue of the "ruffians" and can understand what can and probably would be percieved and had similar thoughts when I heard they were going to try to gain acceptance into the GLoT. I had the same issues about 'Widows Sons" and how they would be percieved.

The one statement that you made that I do not agree with or maybe I misunderstood your intentions, was that I would be welcome in most lodges once you knew I was a brother. I have an issue with this. Isn't this maybe costing some membership into our fraternaty? What about a rider that would come to lodge (on a motorcycle) looking to become a Mason? Is he less deserving because he rides a motorcycle. Would he be turned away because he wore a leather vest with a few patches on it? Thankfully, I can say our lodge did not turn these men away or I would not be a Mason today as I rode up to my lodge and visited on many occassions before I was accepted. What about your lodge?

This could be said for those that ride, have a different car, those of a different faith, color, or financial status. I think it is time for all of us to do some soul searching and remember what being a Mason is all about.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
As for the general public regarding us a "outlaws", in all cases they seem to be relieved that we are Masons or Christians.

Precisely the point, my Brother- what was their initial reaction? That is what we need to avoid. To assume that all who have that reaction go to the trouble of looking further is, I believe, an error- one which hurts us, both as motorcyclists and as Masons.

jvarnell

Premium Member
The problem is not that one needs to belong to a RC to be a mason rider but that the GLoT made the statment that a Texas Mason could not belong to the Widows Son RC. If they would have just said the the WS is not a reconized Masonic org. and Texas Masons should not support the patches that cast a bad light on the Masons. Like someone else here said we still ware a square and compasses patch on our vests so should the GLoT have just said at Bad WS patches will not be able to be worn.

chrmc

The problem is not that one needs to belong to a RC to be a mason rider but that the GLoT made the statment that a Texas Mason could not belong to the Widows Son RC. If they would have just said the the WS is not a reconized Masonic org. and Texas Masons should not support the patches that cast a bad light on the Masons. Like someone else here said we still ware a square and compasses patch on our vests so should the GLoT have just said at Bad WS patches will not be able to be worn.

I know what you mean, but if you pretend to be a masonic organization without being sanctioned you are in fact clandestine. If WS is allowed to do this, where is the line drawn?

scialytic

Premium Member

They would be fine as long as they didn't predicate membership on being a Mason. That is when you step into the respective Grand Lodge jurisdiction. And, as mentioned three or four times in this post, they would be clandestine without GL recognition, etc. and so would you if you were part of the organization in any way (including being in communicatione).

jvarnell

Premium Member
So why does the GLoT not see that the WS are not clandestine in many states. From what I see is that GLoT is just not liking a center back patch that has only been sean in Florida.

I am just trying to understand the politics of this. Every time I try to use comman since when looking at the declration of the GLoT I only see I am being told that I can not reconize masons of other states just because they ware the patch of the WS and not due examination. In my thougths this is like in the past a man putting on a Union uniform in Texas and reciving Disciplinary action for the GLoT for doing so.

"------------
January 6, 2011​
To the Masons of Texas:

Grand Master’s Edict​
I have been advised that some Texas Masons presently belong to an organization operating under the name of “Widows Sons Masonic Motorcycle Riders Association”. At the 2007 Grand Annual Communication this organization was denied recognition as an organization to which Texas Masons could belong.

Texas Masons are not permitted to belong to, or be identified with, the organization known as “Widows Sons Masonic Motorcycle Riders Association” unless and until such organization is recognized by the Grand Lodge of Texas, and to do so constitutes a Masonic Disciplinary Violation. This Edict is effective immediately. Acts contrary to this edict will result in Masonic Disciplinary action against the violator.

This edict is issued to enforce the 2007 decision of the Grand Lodge of Texas concerning the “Widows Sons Masonic Motorcycle Riders Association”.

Sincerely and fraternally,
T. E. “Gene” Carnes
Grand Master of Masons in Texas

------------"
If I had not read this I would have never thought or said anything about this group. I was looking for a Masonic riding group and found two the first one I contactedwas the FMRC was very stand offish. The Widows Sons Of Missouri (Solomons Tribe - Lebenon) I meet riding in Arkansas made me feel at home riding with them.

My hope from continuing this thread is to understand the thoughts behind the rules and editcs of the GLoT. I was not in the military and never held to the old adage "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die". I reason why! reason = wonder for those younger than 50.

scialytic

Premium Member
The GLoT does consider Widows Sons clandestine as they weren't recognized and still predicate membership on Masonic Initiation. It also means that the group in other states are viewed exactly the same. It is analogous to the issue with Princ Hall Affiliation. If I travel to Washington where PHA is recognized and visitation is permitted, I cannot visit a PHA Lodge because in my jurisdiction (Texas) it is not allowed.

If you are indeed riding with Widows Sons as a Texas Mason, you are violating A Masonic Edict. <Whispers in ear> I would recommend that you refrain from doing that (if you are, I may have misread your post).

It may suck...but it is, what it is...

jvarnell

Premium Member
I only did once in Arkansas as I rode the pig trail. I was the only non-WS following the leader of the ride. I am not sure many new I was there but the back patch I suport is a famly patch from Alsasse-Lorrain area.
2010-02-14 11.14.42.jpg

jvarnell

Premium Member
I only did once in Arkansas as I rode the pig trail. I was the only non-WS following the leader of the ride. I am not sure many new I was there but the back patch I suport is a famly patch from Alsasse-Lorrain area.
View attachment 2754

If any of you have a problem of a non-Scotish rite wearing that patch I was wairing it 10 years before becomming a Mason and had no knolage the "cross of lorraine" was a symble some one would say something about.

The symbliasm is "on earth as in heaven" like in the Lords Prayer or as above below in other translations.

Last edited:

jvarnell

Premium Member
After thinking about what I said in the privous posts, I think it is odd to have to hide the knowlage you know and assoiate with a person that is a Master Mason. I don't ware their colors and may never but me of my own free will and acord want to ride with them as men of good moral character can causes a problem. I am not a felon, I have lived a life striving to be the best I could be, being inlightened in Masonary and someone tells me I can't ride with them because they ware the colors of the WSRC and is not reconized in Texas....(but reconized in other states).....Hmmmmm I just don't know what to think at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.