UGLE Suspends recognition of Grand Lodge of Albania

Discussion in 'International Freemasonry' started by Scoops, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

2. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Hmmmmmm....

3. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

To be pedantic, suspension was in March. Withdrawal this week.

This was discussed in Spain amongst Grand Lodge representatives during their Grand Lodge sessions in March. We were informed that Albania formed lodges in Kosovo contrary to an agreement when Albania was founded. Albania then entered into an agreement in Belgrade to withdraw those lodges. Instead, we were informed they secretly formed more lodges. Albania advises they finally withdrew the Lodges in January 2018. However, it was too little too late.

Note, an irregular grand lodge was formed in Kosovo in February of this year.

Most US Grand lodges are not in amity with Albania.

Bro. Stewart P.M. and chrmc like this.
  4. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

Thank you for the clarifications Bro Glen, I was hoping you'd come in on this.

It makes me sad that brothers won't stand by an agreement they made, although I understand the political sensitivities of the region as my brother and his partner were posted to the British mission in Kosovo a few years back.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

5. YHWH

YHWH Registered User

UGLE instead installs "Districts across the Channel", ie Logge in other national jurisdictions: is not this a violation of national sovereignty of a Grand Lodge?

6. YHWH

YHWH Registered User

"oversea"

7. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Not if the GL in question have no problems with it, soverignity also means you can decide that other GLs can have lodges in your country.

Having provincial GLs in other countries is not uncommon and most of the time its no problem.

Glen Cook likes this.
  8. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

As mentioned it depends on the local grand lodge. Japan has five or six grand lodges operating on the islands, all in amity with the others.

Glen Cook likes this.
  9. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

It seems you misunderstand Masonic history, the "Home Grand Lodges" of England (both of them), Ireland and Scotland set up District Grand Lodges all around the World hundreds of years ago when they were busy spreading Freemasonry, they do not set up new District Grand Lodges any more. You should also note that many Grand Lodges exist today because they were first District Grand Lodges of the "Home Grand Lodges".

bupton52, Glen Cook and Brother JC like this.
  10. YHWH

YHWH Registered User

They are subtle differences, but I thank you for the explanations.

11. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

Ha ha, very funny

12. YHWH

YHWH Registered User

13. bashkim

bashkim Registered User

This makes me sad!

14. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Don't fret, the topic of "at the end of the day, who really cares if a GL is recognized by UGLE or not?" has been discussed many times. For years, Prince Hall was not recognized. Le Droit Humain is not, Co-Masonry and so on. But the members of these "masonic" groups still practice a form of Freemasonry that is just as regular and Masonic to them as "regular" Freemasonry is to me and others that fall under UGLE.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    bashkim and Scoops like this.
  15. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

This gets truer every year. Multiple memberships add another layer; for example I can either visit all lodges in Italy, or none, depending on how you read it.

CLewey44 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry