My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visiting With Prince Hall

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
This "old beliefs & prejudices" that you speak of is not exclusive to Texas. Should there ever be any doubt, just do a bit of traveling.

The key factor in much of this is more related to the physical "age" of the Lodge membership. This age is the primary reason that you are seeing more involved cross-visitation in the major metropolitan areas. The more of the younger Brethren who speak out against the "old guard" publicly, the faster we will put all of this behind us, and the more normal interaction will become. We can not allow the generations prior to silence the future of this great and honorable Fraternity of Men.

Trust me, it is very difficult to tell a Pearl Harbor Veteran to stop making bigoted jokes and comments, but it can be done.

Spoken by a true Son of both the Republic Texas & the Confederacy. My two cents.

Stewart M. Owings, P∴ M∴
Lead Moderator
I have met with quite a few Brothers from the Grand Lodge of Texas and I have been impressed with the reception that I received. Not once did any of them show any un-masonic attitudes towards me or Prince Hall masonry. I tip my hat to PM Stewart for his honesty for being able to acknowledge his past but also show that it didn't keep him from changing his attitude as he traveled. We all have scars from our pasts but they don't determine where we are going. They only show where we have been.

Kenneth NC Mason

It has been my experience as a NC Mason that visiting prince hall even in our state is a little bit tricky. Most visitation apparently happens in city areas, not rural. The Prince Hall GL website does not list the numbers for the masters and secretaries, only the DDGMs. Ours is the opposite.

It gets rather frustrating when I've got to call a DDGM only to find out he's not the head over the district of the lodge I'd like to visit , and then be told I don't know what district that's in by the DDGM. It makes for quite a bunch of calls to make , just to find out if I'll even be accepted into their local lodge. Unfortunately; even though there is recognition I've been yelled at over the phone for a solid 30 minutes on more than one occasion by a particular Prince Hall AGL for wanting to visit lodges that are Prince Hall in NC....even in his district

His question to me " Why do you find prince hall Masonry interesting ( and no this wasn't in a friendly tone )" ? And " Why on earth do you want to visit our lodges"?

How about , it is steeped in tradition and history , they do tons of service for the community and their ritual is quite different than NC Mainstream ritual PLUS we have recognition. I've also heard more racial slurs then I care to count in my local lodge that I'm from about prince hall brothers, I want to prove some brethren in my lodge wrong as far as their actions by the love I choose to extend to ALL brethren , if that makes sense.

Another avenue where things get tricky as far as my experience with prince hall has been finding out transportation to lodge meetings or degree work ( I can't drive due to a visual impairment)

Recently , I've been invited to a district raising in Durham . That's 30 minutes from my campus. The master of the lodge is looking into people to get me there, dome hell or high water. He did advise me to check locally as well. So that's what I did. The local PH DDGM lives near my campus . I asked him if any of the members of his lodge or district were attending. He said no, which was fine. But then he said something that threw me for a loop . He told me to call the Grand Secretary for MWPHGLNC and ask him about finding transportation.....

As much as I'm willing to try that I'd rather not run the risk of pissing any more Prince hall brothers off. But then again I'm not in Masonry to be a people pleaser

I love fellowshipping with my prince hall brothers , I just wish it wasn't such a tough process to go visit.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
The local PH DDGM lives near my campus . I asked him if any of the members of his lodge or district were attending. He said no, which was fine. But then he said something that threw me for a loop . He told me to call the Grand Secretary for MWPHGLNC and ask him about finding transportation.....

Yeah... I'll get right on that , not.. My Freemasonry
Maybe you should. They might have a carpool set up. Its worth a try. Just call and introduce yourself and say you were inquiring about carpools to the district raising. There mught be a Bro coming right thru your area

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

BullDozer Harrell

What you have to remember is that this is Texas. A former republic and member of the confederacy. Even though the vote passed both Grand Lodges, there's people on both sides that hold on to old beliefs and prejudices. Remember that the local lodge has to vote on the request and at that time those feelings may surface from some member(s). This helps to keep the embarrassment of showing up at a meeting and being treated with less than brotherly love. To date most of the visits have been in major metropolitan areas where more people are willing to not dwell on the differences but the current political climate may aid or hinder further easing of the process depending on the deep seated beliefs of the minority of members that will silently or vocally show discontent. That's my personal 2 cents.
Brother, i must counterpoint your opinion with all due respect. Even understanding that the State of Texas are politically of a Rebel persuasion, it's 2017 and we're well past the days of the Confederacy. Besides the issue went through both GLs successfully and there's no reason whatsoever that the process should be as bureaucratic as what I'm hearing about.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Brother, i must counterpoint your opinion with all due respect. Even understanding that the State of Texas are politically of a Rebel persuasion, it's 2017 and we're well past the days of the Confederacy. Besides the issue went through both GLs successfully and there's no reason whatsoever that the process should be as bureaucratic as what I'm hearing about.

Perception and reality are two different things. Brother Hill is probably a lot closer to the truth than most would like to admit. There is a reason that the process is bureaucratic and gives the lodge the option to decline visitation or sometimes the communication network breaks down. There are sides in both grand lodges that really don't care for the visitation process.

I thought we were well past the days of the Confederacy as well but not everyone feels that way.

BullDozer Harrell

Perception and reality are two different things. Brother Hill is probably a lot closer to the truth than most would like to admit. There is a reason that the process is bureaucratic and gives the lodge the option to decline visitation or sometimes the communication network breaks down. There are sides in both grand lodges that really don't care for the visitation process.

I thought we were well past the days of the Confederacy as well but not everyone feels that way.
Duly noted.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
My lodge just visited a local PHA lodge and we got to witness a FC degree. Great experience. I created a Facebook group called the Bridge Builders and we will try to do at least quarterly visits to a PHA lodge if not more.
Awesome !! Was there much difference bro ?

Alfred Taylor

That would be tough. You have to submit the paperwork to your grand secretary who then sends it to his counterpart who then sends it to the WM of the lodge.

I recently created a Facebook group Bridge Builders of Freemasonry (US) to bring brothers of both grand lodges together. Feel free to join. Link is in my profile also.

Requested to join group