My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We do enjoy our meetings - Texas Roots

B

Brother Secretary

Was debating on posting this as a reply to Texas Masonic Roots, but thought it might do better as it's own thread. A paragraph from my TLR Paper:

Events were unfolding in other parts of the Mexican province of Texas at this time that would forever link Edward Burleson with the founding of a free and independent Republic, though he was not yet directly involved. The very same month Edward Burleson applied for land in Stephen F. Austin’s colony the governor of Coahuila and Texas, Ramón Músquiz, furnished to a DeWitt colonist named James Tumlinson, Jr., one Spanish made bronze cannon of the six pound caliber. This was the artillery piece that the Mexican Army loaned to Green DeWitt at Gonzalez to defend the colony against hostile Indians, its likeness destined to grace the, “Come and Take it,†flag. Mexican President Anastasio Bustamante had been deposed and was preparing for the first of his two exiles to Europe and General Mexia had pledged the loyalty of the Anglo colonies in Texas to the new military leader of Mexico, Antonio López de Santa Anna. Colonel Stephen F. Austin had presided as president of the First Consultation and Convention of Anglo Colonists at San Felipe de Austin on 1 October 1832. The purposes of this first convention were many but primarily to request reduce tariffs on essential items being brought into Texas, to ask the government of government of Coahuila and Texas in Bexar to grant land to Texas to create a fund for the establishment of primary schools, to petitioning the general government for the establishment of a government for Texas as a state of the Mexican republic independent from Coahuila, and to comprehensively deal with the ongoing threat of hostile Indians. Governor Musquiz’s takes exception to the requests and prayers of the Convention and replies to Colonel Austin that the convention itself was,

“illegal and unwarranted by the constitution and existing laws, and must be considered as derogatory to the supreme government, which prohibits as dangerous, all such popular meetings.â€

Colonel Austin quite obviously took exception to Governor Musquiz’s reply to the request for schools, lower taxes, security, and a representative legislature in his letter to the Governor of 15 November 1932:

“I tell you candidly, that in my opinion, it would be very impolitic to translate and print your communication. I shall not do so. The Ayuntamiento may do as they please. In times like the present, any measure is bad that tends to irritate and produce excitement; every measure is good that is calculated to soothe, bind up and bring about tranquillity [sic] and good order. I have but little hope of obtaining anything from the Government of Mexico. There is little probability that we shall soon have a stable and peaceable order of public affairs; and I give it as my deliberate judgment that Texas is lost if she take no measure of her own for her welfare.â€

Given the facts of history the inherent danger found in informing Freemasons of the prohibition of meetings should be here noted.