My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What browser?

What Web Browser do you use?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Firefox

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Safari

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Chrome

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Webkit

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Opera

• Other

• Total voters

kwilbourn

Chrome.

I have to use everything for testing at work. If I have a choice, I use Chrome; on my MacBook, on Windows, and on Linux. Chrome everywhere; most of the best "plug-in" features of Firefox are available as Chrome extensions these days, and there isn't much out there that is as fast, standards compliant, and lightweight. I also like Safari on the Mac, but since I use Chrome everywhere else, I use it on the Mac to keep bookmarks in sync.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Newly converted chrome user, at least at my vocational spot. The Internet explorer has been very slow the last week. I noticed that someone put chrome on here recently opened it up and the Internet is quick enough to be fun again.

Benton

Premium Member
That's the primary reason I use Chrome. It can run circles around IE, or even Firefox as of late. Tried going back to FF recently, but it just couldn't compare.

MikeMay

Premium Member
Here is a link with browser comparisons... http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/ (there are 10 different browsers being compared) - Firefox and Chrome look good but Chrome uses more System Resources than I am comfortable with...not as much as IE, but more than I like.

At the top of each column is a link for more details on that particular browser. I use the new Firefox Beta 4.0 (up to build 12 so far) because I am feature testing for developers. Besides, I have been a Mozilla fan since the Netscape days...but that's just me.

My feelings on IE.... :33:IE
It's like :52:

Don't ask how I really feel about it.... LOL!

Benton

Premium Member
Interesting test results. I have to say, I've had the opposite experience. Chrome uses much less system resources on my PC than Firefox (have both installed and up to date), and the pages load much, much faster in Chrome. In fact, the main reason I don't use FF isn't so much the system resource, but rather how it takes about twice as long to load a page, any page, than Chrome.

Makes me wonder why thats the case on my particular machine.

jhodgdon

Used to be FF but Chrome blows it away, at least on my system. IE completely sucks. Haven't used it in years

kwilbourn

Like Benton, my experience has been that Chrome outperforms and uses less memory than Firefox in almost every situation. I especially like that Chrome runs tabs as separate processes under Windows, so if one tab crashes the rest of the browser generally doesn't. For normal use, that may not be a major point, but when you're debugging web apps, it's nice if the entire browser doesn't crash just because somebody made a dumb mistake (usually me).

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Right now I am using only Chrome. I got in on the Google Chrome Netbook trial. So I am using it for everything and loving it.

SC Heston

Premium Member
No choice for all of them? When testing my software applications, I need to ensure it works groovy with all the available browsers. I use primarily IE at home & Firefox at work.

MikeMay

Premium Member
No choice for all of them? When testing my software applications, I need to ensure it works groovy with all the available browsers. I use primarily IE at home & Firefox at work.

I used to use them all for network and server testing, now I use IE for work only...everything else is done on Firefox 4.