My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you know about Italian Freemasonry?

Silvio3Magno

I’m currently writing books about the history of Lodges in Italian regions. It is very interesting how single lodged during history have silently contributed to form and shape the society. But today it is very difficult to Freemasonry in Italy to be accountable and transparent in his narrative, due to the dangerous and rooted prejudges against this ancient and noble Institution.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Rifleman1776

The Roman Catholic church contributes much to the distrust of Masonry. About 30 years ago a clandestine but powerful fake lodge killed a member for violating their rules. It was a very gruesome and public event. As I recall, the man was disemboweled then hung from a bridge for all to see. Good luck with your research.

Bloke

Premium Member
...But today it is very difficult to Freemasonry in Italy to be accountable and transparent in his narrative, due to the dangerous and rooted prejudges against this ancient and noble Institution.

Is this a translation or was it written in English ?

When we read "Italy" and Freemasonry, that will generally lead most readers to the relationship between Freemasonry and the Roman Catholic Church which is not a bad paradigm to look at the question - but nuanced in ways many do not know much less understand (me included). The psychology of the Inquisition aside, I think you need to look at Rome's relationship with Freemasonry in the context of the Papal Wars, the Pope Vrs Revolutionaries, Nationalism at different times - but no doubt of you are writing books on this, you know these things.

One thing which would be very interesting would be; was Italian Freemasonry (either Grand Lodge or Grand Orient) exported to other Countries (Ethiopia, Libya, Spain and others ?) via Warrants ? I've never read of that and it might be surprising - for instance to read that Italian Grand Orient Warrants were issued in South America.. In Victoria (Australia) on the Gold fields - one group of Freemasons which were booming were working under the Grand Orient of France, while Canadian Freemasonry was exported here because of Holy Royal Arch... these things leave their mark - I wonder if Italian Freemasonry did that as well - esp in places of Revolution such as France, USA or perhaps even Russia ?

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The biggest issue I know of is the P2 scandal of the ‘80s, that left Italian Masonry in a bigger mess than it might have been in before.

MMM580

Yes, as far as I know the biggest recent scandal of the P2 (Propaganda Duo) lodge in Italy did little to endear the Italian Government and its people to the Craft. But at the time of the Scandal the P2 lodge had already been austricised from Main Stream Freemasonry, and were operating alone. The Scandal was due to a high ranking official of the Vatican bank nicknamed God's Banker leaving Italy on the run after being embroiled in an embezzlement scandal for using the Vatican bank to launder money for the Mafia. And hiding tax accounts from the Italian Government. The P2 lodge also had funds tied up in this, and some of its members were politically active and involved with God's Banker. Later he was Found hanging from London Bridge (not Tower Bridge as some people think) in the City of London on the Themes. His Hanged Body was found to be weighted down with bricks, in a manner the Press claimed was Masonic in nature, but any direct evidence of their involvement was never found, but it turned not only Italian, but also international politics, and public opinion against P2, and Freemasonry in general, especially in Italy. But where the Italian Freemasonry V's the Vatican in Italy is Concerned, yes for Many years the Vatican was against Freemasonry, and other secret groups such as the Templars in General. And in the link that has always existed between the two, when there was a papal bull in existence against the Templars, that was always extended to Freemasonry as well, although Freemasonry was never officially mentioned in the papal bull. But during the reign of Pope John Paul the 1st this papal bull was receded, and the Templars, and by extension Freemasonry, were exonerated and pardoned for their crimes. Officially ending the long war between the Vatican and Freemasonry (Officially at least). But there was still a lingering resentment against Freemasonry in Italy, that did not come from the Vatican, but more from the Fact that during the second world war, Italy as a fascist state, and one of the Axis powers alongside their allies, Nazi Germany, were Socially against all organisations like Freemasonry, who suffered greatly in Nazi Germany at the time being rounded up along side other groups like the Jewish people. And because of this Freemasonry has never really recovered in Italy. There are a few lodges, and even as some legends go a lodge inside the Vatican itself somewhere. But Freemasonry is still socially seen in a bad light publically in Italy, and although Freemasonry is once again on the Rise in Germany, my experience in Italy has taught me that Freemasonry is still viewed as an agency for mistrust and evil by the Italian people. I am pretty sure Italian Freemasonry as it exists today, falls under the jurisdiction of the Grand Orient, but you would have to clarify that one. But be careful in your research, as with the P2 lodge and others, there are more than a few unconstitutional lodges in Italy. Good luck with you research brother.

Sent from my SM-J330F using My Freemasonry mobile app

Silvio3Magno

The biggest issue I know of is the P2 scandal of the ‘80s, that left Italian Masonry in a bigger mess than it might have been in before.

Unfortunately, you’re so right. The difficulty today is to overcome the stereotypes and hindrances connected to that “deviation” of Italian freemasonry, which has always been to intertwined with politics.

Sent from my iPhone