My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you like/dislike about the AASR?

MarkR

Premium Member
The NMJ and SMJ have been in harmony for awhile. They recognize that it's best to work together. I'm pretty sure PH Scottish Rite is in the same harmony. To me it's a great system. Jurisdictions are drawn out and agreed upon and every one recognizes the others under the same Scottish rite flag.
Allow me to pick a nit. It's NMJ and SJ. Just Southern Jurisdiction.

nixxon2000

Premium Member
Something else comes to mind: there are some differences between the Southern and Northern Jurisdictions of Scottish Rite (I belong to the Northern) in the US. At some point, because I don't want to hijack this thread, that would be an interesting discussion.
Did you ever start this thread? I'd be interested too.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I did the "necessary" SR degrees in a one day class at the Masonic Temple in Boston, in the same place and in the same way that my father had done it. It's a long day (they feed you well though) and of course, not all of the degrees are presented. Subsequent to that, I have helped out with the Valley here in Portland, Maine, where the master of our lodge is involved (33rd degree) and learned a lot from being part of the presentation rather than sitting to watch and am inclined to continue to do so. I fully intend to see or participate in the degrees I have not yet seen.

I have heard "Scottish Rite is Shriner's Lite" but do not subscribe to that theory. There is much wisdom there and joining Scottish Rite was one of the best things I've ever done not to mention becoming somewhat active.

That being said, I am also finding a different kind of journey in Royal Arch Masonry (I'll take my Royal Arch degree in an actual quarry later this month). While I am more inclined to the ethos of the Scottish Rite I have found my journey so far in York to be much more akin to actual appendant degrees to Blue Lodge but I am unlikely to continue past Capitular Masonry or Cryptic Masonry. However, I have found my journey so far in both Rites to be of great value.

My heart, however, remains in Blue Lodge and my largest focus is as a line officer.
I have completed the Chapter and Council of the York Rite and will start the Orders in November and agree with you that it seems a continuation of the Blue Lodge degrees. I am very much enjoying it. Have petitioned the AASR last night and the Reunion will be in November. Very much looking forward to it. I am a relatively new Freemason, having been raised in August of last year. It is one of the best things that I have ever done in my life. I am retired so I can devote time to the Blue Lodge, YR, and AASR.