My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does you lodge do for the schools?

Nate Riley

Premium Member
I am looking for some fresh ideas to use as suggestions to my lodge. What does your lodge do, with regard to benevolence, in your schools?

We currently give scholarships to 3 or 4 graduates and we give some money during the year for various "programs" (for lack of a better word). Since I am involved with the school, I have discussed with our secretary the best way to insure that that money is been used to benefit the less fortunate (we have many). My thoughts are 1) donating school supplies (which needs to happen now) 2) donating money for a food bank....Let me know yours.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Tarkington Prairie Lodge #498 Boy and Girl of the month (ask for suggestions from the counselor)... have them come to dinner at the stated meeting with their family and present them with a certificate or something (like the Rotary Boy of the Month thing.. something to put on their resume for colleges).

Have an essay contest once a year with a topic of your choice for a 250 scholarship or something.

Nate Riley

Premium Member
Tarkington Prairie Lodge #498 Boy and Girl of the month (ask for suggestions from the counselor)... have them come to dinner at the stated meeting with their family and present them with a certificate or something (like the Rotary Boy of the Month thing.. something to put on their resume for colleges).

Have an essay contest once a year with a topic of your choice for a 250 scholarship or something.

An essay is required for our scholarships. Thanks for the ideas!

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
ah, cool.

is there a university/community college near cleveland, tx? could you get the essays judged by english professors there? i got that done for my optimist club when i was president. was pretty neat.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I would like for more lodges to donate band instruments to the schools. In tight budgets, music and the arts are the first to be cut. Contact the band teacher at your local school, and ask if they could use any new instruments.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
I would like for more lodges to donate band instruments to the schools. In tight budgets, music and the arts are the first to be cut. Contact the band teacher at your local school, and ask if they could use any new instruments.

what a unique idea. that's wonderful! when government fails, brothers (not necessarily even masonic) provide!