My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the difference between the Scottish Rite & York Rite.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Scottish Rite is a system of further Masonic education, spread out over 29 degrees. It originated in France and came to the States through the Caribbean and into Louisiana, then up through the populated areas. The York "rite" isn't a direct path, but an amalgamation of degrees that Americans lumped together, and includes the Mark and Royal Arch degrees which are normally found in separate paths.

Mel Knight

I'm not sure if you're a mason or not, but keep in mind that 500% of the time you will respectively receive watered down answers. The only true way of answering your question is to follow your gut feeling and join which ever body floats your curiosity the most.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Brethren I know who are members of both bodies say they find the teachings complement each other.
I totally agree with this. There are differences as well as similarities. It is my opinion that to get a really well rounded 'Masonic education" you need to join both. As I said, this is just my personal opinion.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
To me, SR is a survey of philosophy on man's relationship to Deity, to Government, and to his fellow man.

Chapter and Council build on the Hyramic myth and are also worthwhile from an historical viewpoint (as in historical fiction). Though based in Christian scripture, the Mark degree teaches a lesson of humility. KT provides lessons in chivalry based on a romanticised notion of the real Templars.

I urge all Masons to take the Royal Arch degree. It is also a pathway to other appendant orders.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
To me, SR is a survey of philosophy on man's relationship to Deity, to Government, and to his fellow man.

Chapter and Council build on the Hyramic myth and are also worthwhile from an historical viewpoint (as in historical fiction). Though based in Christian scripture, the Mark degree teaches a lesson of humility.
Very good definitions.

R

Ressam

Chapter and Council build on the Hyramic myth and are also worthwhile from an historical viewpoint (as in historical fiction). Though based in Christian scripture, the Mark degree teaches a lesson of humility. KT provides lessons in chivalry based on a romanticised notion of the real Templars.

I urge all Masons to take the Royal Arch degree. It is also a pathway to other appendant orders.

Hi, Mr.Glen!
Hope you are well.
Can I ask somethin'.
As I understood -- "Hyramic Myth" teachs Masons(who are gettin' Masters degree), about -- "Life Shortness".
But, at the same time(if I'm not mistaken) -- Freemasons are bein' taught about -- "Immortality of Soul".
I see some kind of -- contradiction, here.
May be my question'll sound stupid(as always), but, I'll ask:
generally, does Freemasonry teachs his Members sth. like -- "This World (on the Earth) is full of sin, evil, etc. And in "another World"(after death
of physical body) there will be another Good World, where everythin' will be good, everyone will gratify himself eternally.
Could you, please, explain a little bit?
Thank you!

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
It would be easier to read your posts if you spelled words and didn't use so many apostrophes.

The ritual in my symbolic degrees does not teach that the world is full of sin and evil and does not teach everything will be good in heaven and there will be endless gratification.

acjohnson53

I don't want to offend anyone, if you are Scottish Rite you are alright, but when You are on the left side you got to get checked, cuz there is a guy over there with a big Sword. When he swished it around, sacred me to death I said oh no not for me....LOL