What is your favorite Masonic symbol?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by pointwithinacircle2, May 26, 2015.

1. Psalm 133

Psalm 133 Registered User

It's not strictly a Masonic symbol, but the All-Seeing Eye is probably one of my favorites.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  2. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Perhaps the earliest reference to the all-seeing eye is in Sumerian literature where the second ranking god (Second Principal in HRA) has an uplifted eye above his house that searches all the lands.

3. frs225

frs225 Registered User

Bro. Glen Cook -
    I did receive lectures after each degree ritual, but do not recall the mention of tracing board or sides. Each lecturer in the east seemed to focus on the working tools of the degree. There was mention of the liberal arts and architecture at one point, and never explanation of symbols outside of working tools and lodge items. Where can I look to gain insight into the items you mentioned?

Bro. Dfreybur -

I agree with you completely that watching rituals is a much better way of grasping the content than going through them. So far I have watched the EA and FC degrees. We do not cover the ladder lecture in our lodge either. Is it possible that our jurisdiction does not discuss symbols like other lodges do?

4. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

frs225, what jurisdiction do you belong to?

5. frs225

frs225 Registered User

PA 8th district

6. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

Gotcha. I'm not terribly familiar with how things are done in PA, but if you have a monitor/ritual book, I'd start there.

My experience is that not all lodges actually practice the full ritual set forth by their GL. It's understandable. In the KY monitor, I think the EA degree is something like 50 pages long and it is done almost exclusively by the WM. That's a LOT to memorize. It wasn't until I took some time to sit down and really read it that I started to understand the depth of what was being taught.

7. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Not knowing Pennsylvania ritual I can't comment about what has been deleting from it or added to it. I know Texas deleted a vast amount of material that are present in California and Illinois and added only a couple of scenes that are not present in California or Illinois. But that is quotation not discussion.

The only actual discussion I ever see is at Masonic Education presentations and at Table Lodge. So far more of these that I have seen have been by me than by other brothers. Thankfully that's a pattern that is slowly but steadily changing as more lodges do more Masonic Education.

8. Dennis Hurts

Dennis Hurts Registered User

The common gavel

Share My Freemasonry