My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you recommend as a first reference book

Greco

As a new EA, I attended my first full meeting last night. Not so much a blur as last time. I needed a lot of help to understand what was going on as there was voting, a lot of visitors, a member of the Grand Lodge in attendance etc...

I know not much is written down but if you were to such a reference book for someone starting out like me, what would you suggest?

Bro Gary

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
Re: What would you recommend as a first reference

Not sure the experience is supposed to be whittled down to a book... Bit I am surprised you were allowed in the meeting... I'm an EA too, and not allowed in since meetings, especially those where votes are made, are done only when the lodge has been opened on the master mason degree.

Greco

I asked about that, at times I was asked to approach the alter and then asked to leave. Also, I said there was voting but since I am not a master mason, I was not allowed to vote.

I'm not trying to bring the experience down to a book, I'm trying to augment the experience. I hope that explains it better.

Zaden

Here in TX Stated Meetings can be held in EA or FC. The only ones I missed since being initiated were the few that had to be opened in MM, for example, when a GL officer was making an official visit.

As for a reference book, both Freemasonry for Dummies and the Idiots Guide to Freemasonry are common recommendations. The latter I read before being initiated. Lots of history and lodge info without going into anything you shouldn't know.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member

The OP is Canadian and their lodges most likely operate on the 1st when able and raise the lodge to MM when needed.

Having said that, how long does your jurisdiction make you wait before you can be passed?

RyanC

What they did was drop it down to a EA lodge after the opening, than they had you leave to close on the third degree. As a EA in some Grand Lodges they will let you set in on meetings but you can not vote. But to answer your question I read Freemasonry for Dummies.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member

As a new EA, I attended my first full meeting last night. Not so much a blur as last time. I needed a lot of help to understand what was going on as there was voting, a lot of visitors, a member of the Grand Lodge in attendance etc...

I know not much is written down but if you were to such a reference book for someone starting out like me, what would you suggest?

By your description you want an agenda for a Stated meeting not a reference book on Masonry. Your lodge secretary will likely have a printed standard agenda available for any brother. In some jurisdictions it's included in the bylaws (which you may get a complete copy of after being raised). Many lodges print that month's agenda and have copies in the tiler's room for interested brothers. Ask for an agenda. It's lodge private business but not a Masonic secret so trash the sheet on the way out. By the time you've attended a bunch of Stated meetings you'll feel the order of events is so standard you could dance to it.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

My advice is to just listen to the ritual parts and absorb the energy.

Mindovermatter Ace

The craft and it's symbols is a great book for newly made masons. Many bros always recommend this book so I picked it up. It explains the blue lodge in better terms than most books I've read.

JCmasonSquared

I don't know which state you're in, but here in New York the grand lodge library has a reading program for new brothers and continuing education where they send you a book free of charge, you read it, mail it back, and they send you the next book. Once you've completed a level they send a grand lodge rep to present you with a certificate in your lodge. It's an excellent program.

I would suggest you check with your grand jurisdiction, or your lodge secretary, and ask them if there are any similar reading programs.

It's always great to see a brother who wants to learn more. Welcome to the craft, and congratulations.

Part upon the square.

Mac

Premium Member

By your description you want an agenda for a Stated meeting not a reference book on Masonry. Your lodge secretary will likely have a printed standard agenda available for any brother. In some jurisdictions it's included in the bylaws (which you may get a complete copy of after being raised). Many lodges print that month's agenda and have copies in the tiler's room for interested brothers. Ask for an agenda. It's lodge private business but not a Masonic secret so trash the sheet on the way out. By the time you've attended a bunch of Stated meetings you'll feel the order of events is so standard you could dance to it.

I think Bro. Freyburger hit the nail on the head. Aside from that, the only book I can think of that might apply is Masonry and Its Ettiquette, but even that's a bit much. As the brother mentioned, you'll get a feel for the flow of the meetings as you attend.

Aside from that, if you want a general reference, I started out with Mackey's Encyclopedias (obtained off eBay for ~$50). Any time I had a question, I would ask a brother at the meeting, or I would prep for the discussion by reading up on the topic in the encyclopedia first.

rebis

Premium Member

Brother, for now simply attend as many events and stated meetings as you can and try to absorb as much as possible. Meet with your coach and ask many questions. As you advance in the degrees, things will start coming together.

When you become a master mason, you will be given a cypher book which you can study and use as reference on your journey.