Where does belief come from?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by pointwithinacircle2, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

We're on a theme "the greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawkin. It's basically what Mark Twain said when quoted above.

A paradigm can both be a tool and a shackle. What counts is your ability to use a paradigm, to examine an idea, and move in and out of the paradigm to evaluate the idea. In this case, the idea is a belief. So I guess, if you want robust beliefs that have a chance at being correct, the key is critical thought and education to help you shape that thought.

Athena and coachn like this.
  2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Agreed!
    Agreed!

3. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Thomas Kuhn's "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" discusses paradigms extensively. It's one of the most important books of modern philosophy and modern history. Should be on the top 50 reading list of non-fiction books to read during your life.

Your statement is one step beyond his lessons. Thanks!

Bloke and coachn like this.
  4. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

I've often said of Freemasonry (but, really, philosophy in general) that the most important word is 'why'. I believe that it is in constantly challenging our thoughts that we grow. 'Why' is a challenge though not always an argumentative one and in my experience helps to either follow a thought to new places or to discover a flaw in one's beliefs, which requires an adaptation.
    Of course, all of this, as Coach pointed out, is predicated on integrity. I remember going through these exercises with a young man who had requested my help in talking through some ideas. When the idea of 'why' was applied, his original idea started to break down. Rather than accept this and reconsidering his original hypothesis, he began to come up with support for his argument that I highly doubt he himself believed. Therefore, being able to honestly challenge one's own beliefs is paramount.

LK600 and coachn like this.
  5. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

I've heard it said...
    • Religion and Philosophy make every effort to answer "why".
    • Science makes every effort to answer "Who, What, Where, How, When, ...".
    Both seek to do this with the utmost of integrity. However the practitioners are sometimes biased in this. ;-)

dfreybur, Bloke and LK600 like this.
  6. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Thanks - I will put that on my reading list...

7. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Kuhn certainly had a very great impact on my view of science, but I have not abandoned Popper's falsification method in my own process even though it is not sufficient in itself.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/pop-sci/

dfreybur likes this.
  8. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

I acknowledge that this statement is a valid paradigm, and that many (if not most) people agree with it. It is simply not my paradigm. For me philosophy, and Freemasonry, are best summed up as "the search for the best way to think about things".

hanzosbm likes this.
  9. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>Freemasonry, are best summed up as "the search for the best way to think about things".

If Freemasonry is a science then there ought to be some doing after the thinking (speculation)

10. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I have a copy of "The Logic of Scientific Discovery" in my current reading queue. Probably 1-2 years out given my reading rate for printed books. If it comes available as an audio-book before then I'll "read" it sooner.

Bloke likes this.
  11. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

To Know, To Will, To Dare, To Keep Silent

12. Athena

Athena Registered User

As long as you studied and tested your beliefs as true and they are good, then you follow and carry out the belief. I would say we'd be on the right path.
    Most importantly actually believe in that belief do not pretend.

13. Athena

Athena Registered User

Edit: I am unsure if applying it plural is appropriate but I'm against division and recently picked up a book called "the laws of teamwork" one of the laws is one man never does it alone, he's had more than one person help him out to accomplish his dreams, goals, ambitions.

Well instead of editing I quoted myself. I'm so flawed.

Share My Freemasonry