My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where Exactly Does the SD Chair Go In Texas Lodges?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
What is the length from the east the SD chair should be placed and who can sit in the East up the 3 steps with the WM? As far as GL is concerned anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

owls84

Premium Member
Re: Where Exactly Does the SD Chair Go?

There is a diagram in the monitor of the law book. I will look but I think it one third the way from the east to the west.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

There is a diagram in the monitor of the law book. I will look but I think it one third the way from the east to the west.

Right you are. See either the Monitor or Form #75 in the back of the Law Book. As to who can sit on the 3rd step with the WM, it's up to the WM. Those seats are not assigned.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member

i was under the impression that the SD's chair wasn't an absolute necessity... aka, he could sit in the general seating in that area, as long as he had his rod standing next to him.

owls84

Premium Member

Check out the attachment. I have never heard that Brother.

Attachments

• Form 75.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 354
R

RJS

That's pretty cool. Where did you get that at?

owls84

Premium Member

As Bro. Lins Stated form 75 in the Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member

while neat, that can't be definitive, because i've seen radically different lodges. (checkered pavement, lights being around the altar (not right next to eachother), JW in a diff place, etc)

R

RJS

What does the law book say?

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member

Question, are the pillars supposed to be out at all times, or only during the FC Degree?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
According to form 75 they are out, but a Lodge could choose otherwise if they so please but would have to bring them out for the FC of course.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

while neat, that can't be definitive, because i've seen radically different lodges. (checkered pavement, lights being around the altar (not right next to eachother), JW in a diff place, etc)

Some Lodges, by dispensation, have differences due to their physical layout. For example, Point Isabel #33 has the JD to the left of the SW due to the fact that the only door into the Lodgeroom is on the SW's left. It was real dorky for the JD to have to walk around the SW every time he needed to talk to the Tiler.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member

there's no "wobble room" in that floor plan?

any changes have to be from special dispensation?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
The right way and the way a Lodge does it are about the same thing. I was told by a DI that form 75 is what he uses when grading degrees which is not very often and on his offical visit with DDGMs when he is grading those visits like last year but otherwise he said it is a guidline for a lodge to set up b/c not all Lodges can adhere to it exaclty.
I think a Lodge would be safe to set up convient for them as long as the altar was not in a corner or something! :)

J

JEbeling

look at where the lights are shown.. ! have seen three tall light .. one to the left from the master .. the other two on the right..? grand lodge has the tall tapers..?

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Question, are the pillars supposed to be out at all times, or only during the FC Degree?

look at where the lights are shown.. ! have seen three tall light .. one to the left from the master .. the other two on the right..? grand lodge has the tall tapers..?

both of these bring up the good point as to why we need more members of the Committee on Work from various grand lodges to provide wisdom and guidance on these forums.

i'd like to see 2 members of 2 different Committees on Work to go at on this, because i feel like i would be surprised, as most of us would be.

i DO KNOW that there is one lodge (one single lodge) in Texas that actually has a red staircase of 3, 5, and 7 stairs in it for the fellowcraft degree. that is nowhere in this diagram, and would like to know if they had dispensation for it, or if they just had to clarify whather that was okay before they commissioned that lodge.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
i DO KNOW that there is one lodge (one single lodge) in Texas that actually has a red staircase of 3, 5, and 7 stairs in it for the fellowcraft degree. that is nowhere in this diagram, and would like to know if they had dispensation for it, or if they just had to clarify whather that was okay before they commissioned that lodge.

Actually, there are 2 Lodges with "winding stairways". As to your question, I have no idea.