My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is this??

Hippie19950

Premium Member
In the Golden Rule Lodge 361 in Hearne, Texas is a painting on the wall. I have asked many people, and they don't know. I have looked at pictures of our early Brethren who started this Great State, and Masonry in Texas, but have found no one who resembles this painting. I have not looked close enough to see if it is an original or not as yet. We have been fortunate in this small town, to have had many who could do portraits like this, and I have seen some work that were copied from originals that were excellent. The paintings I have seen were not done to try to make one think it was an original, but to practice I guess, or much like we copy pictures now. At any rate, I am going to try to post it with this note. There is another portrait, but much smaller (this one is about4- 5 feet tall), and will post a copy of it in another post later. Any help is greatly appreciated. Brother LJ Linson and I have taken on the personal task of finding out the answers to these questions, as well as some about the other Appendant Bodies Golden Rule "Housed" in the past.
Thanks.

Hmmm, apparently I can't copy it into a post, so I will add it to my pictures. It should be easy to identify, it's NOT a motorcycle :)

Well, I did get an image attached. I had trouble, it appeared there was a problem with the forum, or maintainence was being done.

Last edited:

Hippie19950

Premium Member
In the Golden Rule Lodge 361 in Hearne, Texas is a painting on the wall. I have asked many people, and they don't know. I have looked at pictures of our early Brethren who started this Great State, and Masonry in Texas, but have found no one who resembles this painting. I have not looked close enough to see if it is an original or not as yet. We have been fortunate in this small town, to have had many who could do portraits like this, and I have seen some work that were copied from originals that were excellent. The paintings I have seen were not done to try to make one think it was an original, but to practice I guess, or much like we copy pictures now. At any rate, I am going to try to post it with this note. There is another portrait, but much smaller (this one is about4- 5 feet tall), and will post a copy of it in another post later. Any help is greatly appreciated. Brother LJ Linson and I have taken on the personal task of finding out the answers to these questions, as well as some about the other Appendant Bodies Golden Rule "Housed" in the past.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 15FEB10 018.jpg
    15FEB10 018.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 294

Hippie19950

Premium Member
Bro. Kenneth, I will try to locate that information. And now that you said that, looking at the pose in the portrait, it may well be one one of the early Masters, if not the first. The other picture I want to post may be a sketch, or a reproduction of an old, old photograph. We have talked briefly in the past, and just kind of looked, but have not studied the pictures closely. Bro. LJ and I have discussed some things about the past of this Lodge, and we do this as we are leaving, and never when we have plenty of time to really study things. Our Alter is very old, and looks to be Walnut, or a dark stained Oak. The handiwork on it is all done by hand, and the chairs in the E., W., and S. are all of a much older design, and craftsmanship. I will try to get some photo's of these items as well. The seats around the Lodge Room are from an old theater, and need to have the bottom recovered. We are looking at ways to get this and several other things done in the somewhat near future. Well, this is all for another post later. Again, Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll ask for those records.