My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why such lodge names

Ahmed

Dear brothers ,

I need a resource to know why such organisations names and lodge names ?

Best regards,

Freemason Connect Mobile - is it wrong to ask to be free and limitless ?

dfreybur

Premium Member
Are you asking why lodges take they names they do? That's a story to be told by every lodge so you'd have to read their history to find out. Many are named for their location. Many are named for our virtues. Those tend to be obvious at a glance. Many are named for famous Masons. Those tend to require knowledge of local history.

By the way, your profile states that you are not a Mason and you are asking about joining. It is no appropriate in most jurisdictions for people not Master Masons to use the square and compasses. While we have no enforcement on any non-Mason it is not a good idea to use it as a candidate.

One of my lodges recently changed its name from Monitor-Lounsbury to Barrington. We meet in the village of Barrington so its' based on our geography now. A Monitor is a book of partial lectures published by our Grand Lodge. Lounsbury was the name of a Past Grand Master in the late 1800s. It no longer made sense to use the old name. We'd recently absorbed another lodge with members who had no attachment to either word so we voted to change as part of the absorption process. I came in from the lodge being absorbed. Our name had been Arlington Heights which is a nearby village. It made sense to switch to a geographical name. If you pick any lodge in the world you might find a history of this sort when it comes to names changing over time.

Ahmed

Thanks for the reply brothers.

Yes iam asking about the names widow son.

Dfrebur : thank you for the for the answer , and am sorry to use things as a candidate you where meaning on the logo or questions ?

Yes iam seeking potation , maybe am doing things wrong and am sorry for that

Best regards

Tony Uzzell

My Lodge, J.H. Gurley Lodge No. 337 in Waco, Texas, was named after a man in early Waco who was the deceased brother of the founding Master of the Lodge.

On a humorous note, some of our members have taken to referring to our members as "Gurleymen". This has led to a few people showing interest in joining and given our members a unique identity.

TU

dfreybur

Premium Member
Friend Ahmed,

Thanks for changing your avatar. I look forward to a time when we are brothers and it will be time you you to use your previous one appropriately.

Ahmed

Many thanks in advance