My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Texas Masonry is not surviving in the 21st century

cemab4y

Premium Member
Re: Why Texas Masonry is not surviving in the 21st

I visit lodges in Maryland frequently. Maryland has a tradition of having exciting and informative programs at their stated meetings. They might have someone come in and talk about the Civil War, or how we got our flag, or how to select a nursing home, or UFOs, etc. Their meetings are terrific!

A decent meal, will also increase your attendance.

Bro. Michael

EXACTLY!!!! There are so many resources available on this site and others. Share videos from our Media Library or print out an article from the Education Library. During meals, why not entertain the Brethren by sharing some humor or poetry? Make meetings worthwhile.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I would advise caution. In some places (I have been a victim of this personally) a Brother can be tried and convicted of unmasonic conduct for even possessing poetry (or anything else) that alludes to masonry if it is in a form that can be proven (there are some places where it is claimed that such things violate our obligations by alluding to Masonry even if they don't reveal anything). I am not complaining or looking for sympathy, but I must warn my Brothers of potential danger.

otherstar

My lodge must be an exception to the rule.

We regularly have around 30-35 at our stated meetings and almost every Monday and/or Tuesday night you can pop into the lodge and find a few brothers sitting around chatting, and a few of our EAs and FCs learning their work. Sometimes brothers will use the lodge room to practice. We invite all EAs and FCs to come to dinner on stated meeting nights for the fellowship. Wives and families are also welcome to come to dinner on stated meeting nights (some do, some don't), and some even stay downstairs while the meeting is going on upstairs. It's also very clear that EAs and FCs are welcome to all non-tiled lodge activities as well. The Lodge is having our Christmas party this Saturday and there is a good chance that the turnout will be around 60 people of all ages.

I think what lodges need to do to thrive is to be welcoming of all members and guests and be a place where the brothers want to go. There are no set answers for what programs will work because every lodge is different because their members are different and their interests are different.

Dow Mathis

Premium Member

My thoughts exactly, Jeff. Our lodge has a good meal each stated meeting night, and EAs and FCs are encouraged to attend as are men who are interested in learning more about the craft. There's usually a fair number of families there as well. Granted, I'd like to see the number of brethren at the meetings rise to the point where the PM's were in the minority, but it's the nature of the beast that those who invest their time most tend to move through the chairs. With that said, there's usually between 25-30 at our stated meetings, and changes are being made. This masonic year, our WM began inviting speakers to give talks on subjects of interest to the community during the meal. We've had a detective talk about crime in Boerne, the fire chief, an MD who talked about insurance issues, a representative of Blessing in a backpack, and others. It's been a great addition. In addition, we've also been having more brothers present Masonic talks during the stated meeting proper. All this takes is someone committing to lining up the speakers. Our meetings have become much more interesting, and we've been seeing attendance improve. It is my hope that this practice of having speakers in for the meal and meeting will continue.

Additionally, we have practice on Monday nights, where you can come and work on ritual or floorwork. OES meets in our lodge as do the Daughters of the Nile, DeMolay, Rainbow Girls, and Commandery (I think that's everybody).

Honestly, I read the words of my grumbling brethren here and all I can think is, "Well, why the Dickens don't they DO something about it instead of sitting there complaining?" If you don't like the way that your lodge meetings are going, then find an article that you like and give a talk on it. If you start, then others may follow. To my way of thinking, if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

otherstar

Very nice! We also invite potential candidates, men who've submitted petitions (what a great way to get to know who you are voting on), etc. Our SW gives a short masonic talk every stated meeting, and a JW presents a portion of the law as well. We have several different community events we sponsor, so there is often quite of business to do at stated meetings beyond paying bills that we don't always have time for speakers. (though I've been to lodges that have had speakers and that was always nice too--again, what works, works!)

Dow Mathis

Premium Member

Pretty much all of our potential candidates come for meals. That's actually the recommendation that we give when someone asks about the fraternity. Come to our meals and get to know the guys. Oh, and they're encouraged to bring their families as well. I know that I went to two dinners before submitting my petition, and then every stated meeting meal after that. Monday nights pretty much belong to the lodge now, and will for the foreseeable future. After all, what am I giving up? Football? Nah, we turned the dish off about three or four years ago. It just stole too much of our time. I'd much rather spend time with people than the idiot tube anyway. :)

Zaden

Jmflores and I have been welcomed to all of the stated meetings since we were first initiated. The WM and Officers have happily opened in EA specifically so that we could attend. The most recent SM, the JW even read the section from the Law book stipulating the allowance of EA and FC Stated Meetings. There are also practice nights on all other weeks except the monthly Family Night (the latter being the most densely attended event other than Installation and Service Award presentations that I have seen since July). There was also a FC lecture that from what I saw of the parking lot was heavily attended.

otherstar

Jmflores and I have been welcomed to all of the stated meetings since we were first initiated. The WM and Officers have happily opened in EA specifically so that we could attend. The most recent SM, the JW even read the section from the Law book stipulating the allowance of EA and FC Stated Meetings. There are also practice nights on all other weeks except the monthly Family Night (the latter being the most densely attended event other than Installation and Service Award presentations that I have seen since July). There was also a FC lecture that from what I saw of the parking lot was heavily attended.

Zaden, very nice! I'm glad to see that Oak Forest Lodge in Houston is doing so well! I was Raised there in 1997 and I'm still friends with your Secretary and Chaplain (Robert and Bill), and John Artz! I was out of the Craft from 2004, until 2013, and Robert (the Secretary) helped me re-affiliate in Humble (which is closer to where I live now).