My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiccan Masons

How many people here are wiccan?

• I am

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I am not

Votes: 82 92.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Freemasonry requires belief in a Monotheistic God. At least it used to. Hindus were at one time excluded from Freemasonry because of the belief in multiple Gods until it was decided that these "deities" actually represent the several aspects of the same God.

Not much different on the Wiccian end. They do refer to their God in the form of a Trinity which almost all religions have which in the end is connected and are derived from one All Mighty Power. The tree of life best describes this as the ancients believed and passed to us that the one All Mighty Power was incapable of creating on It's own so it divided Itself into three parts, 2 lower parts of wisdom and understanding and the original part of Ultimate Power or Strength thus creating from Itself the trinity responsible for all creation. All religions with multiple gods believed there was a God who was most powerful and ultimately ruled all other gods.
tree_of_life.jpg

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
looks amazingly like something in the scottish rite :)

also, i'm glad that people decided that the trinity was monotheistic. i would hate for me not to be a mason.

dhouseholder

All religions with multiple gods believed there was a God who was most powerful and ultimately ruled all other gods.
Indeed, what this in effect does is open Freemasonry to all sorts of religions, which I am wholeheartedly behind! Nice job in bringing it back to the ToL. Oh how we as Masons owe so much to the early spiritual ideas of men!

looks amazingly like something in the scottish rite :)
I'm almost certain that it IS the same thing as in the SR.

I have always been meaning to go into Scottish Rite. See, I told my wife, "Don't worry honey! As soon as I am a Master Mason I will be spending a whole lot more time at home! I will only go to lodge once a week or so!"

And that was my mistake, because now as J. Steward, well... you can imagine how much time I am up there!

So ultimately if I have any more Freemasonry in my life, I will have ALL the time in the world to go to lodge because I won't have a wife! ;)

also, i'm glad that people decided that the trinity was monotheistic. i would hate for me not to be a mason.
You and a whole lot of brothers!

SSG_Morrison

Not much different on the Wiccian end. They do refer to their God in the form of a Trinity which almost all religions have which in the end is connected and are derived from one All Mighty Power. The tree of life best describes this as the ancients believed and passed to us that the one All Mighty Power was incapable of creating on It's own so it divided Itself into three parts, 2 lower parts of wisdom and understanding and the original part of Ultimate Power or Strength thus creating from Itself the trinity responsible for all creation. All religions with multiple gods believed there was a God who was most powerful and ultimately ruled all other gods.
tree_of_life.jpg

I like the colors...

Dredd17

This is an interesting post with several excellent points of view. We had a bit of a discussion come up like this in our lodge where someone had stated that you should not be able to take your oath on anything but the Holy Bible. Being a Christian, I understand his reasons for saying that, but part of me still had to disagree. From what I understand, you are only required to have a belief in a higher spiritual power or Supreme Architect. Nothing I have seen or read specifically stated that it has to be the Christian God. I will say that those religions that involve multiple deity does not apply. Any reference to a higher power that I have seen was made in the singular sense. We all know as Masons, its hard not to judge what we may or may not understand. As Masons, I think we should strive to keep an open mind and adhere to our traditions as best as possible.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
This is an interesting post with several excellent points of view. We had a bit of a discussion come up like this in our lodge where someone had stated that you should not be able to take your oath on anything but the Holy Bible. Being a Christian, I understand his reasons for saying that, but part of me still had to disagree. From what I understand, you are only required to have a belief in a higher spiritual power or Supreme Architect. Nothing I have seen or read specifically stated that it has to be the Christian God. I will say that those religions that involve multiple deity does not apply. Any reference to a higher power that I have seen was made in the singular sense. We all know as Masons, its hard not to judge what we may or may not understand. As Masons, I think we should strive to keep an open mind and adhere to our traditions as best as possible.

If you look at the old charges you will see it specifically states all religions are welcome and only a belief in a Supreme Being is required so if you believe in many Gods your are covered and can join. The notion that the Bible only is needed or this is a Christian organization is completely and utterly false.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
I also think that our beliefs aren't something one should be out flouting around town either. We live in a society where a good number of the population still believes we are a cult. If you do identify with a religion that is different from the local norm, keep it to yourself; we do not need to give them any more fuel for the fire!

I happen to be of the religion upon which “All wise men agree”; you may ask, what religion may that be? To wit I would answer; wise men do not tell!
It’s time to send the scalawags into the hinterlands, between the apologists and the self righteous religious bigots whom like the Pharisees who were commanded to pray in their closets; it’s time they were told that their ignorance betrays them and they should not be the purveyors of hate but of love as they were so commanded. These individuals such as Dr. Holly (ex SBC) et al. need to be exposed for what they are… Charlatans!

SSG_Morrison

I had also understood it to be that you had to believe in One God, BUT I was thinking in the sense of the Christian God, Muslim God, or Buddha. AFTER I listened to the others here explain how a multi god or goddess belief works, as in there is always one that is the All powerful or over all others. I understand that the multi god belief isn't any different than any of the singular god beliefs. As far as believing that there is One supreme Deity. So I believe that we are following the traditions, we just have to be open minded enough to Hear and learn what we don't understand.

Last edited:

dhouseholder

Every Mason should have a deep understanding of the Tree of Life. It is a complete and very esoteric thought symbology.

What else do we do but understand life? We teach morality! Which is the way to live life, paradigms aside. This method of living [morally] is a concept in which few non-religious thought structures [i.e. Freemasonry] embrace with no reservations.

Really though! We are a "peculiar system of morality, veiled in allegory, and taught through symbols". Morality being a concept in which BETTER life is taught. We can describe existence, which is life (therefore morality), in the ToL.

The ToL exhibits multiple ideas. The Tree, from Kether, which is really a manner in which one describes the limitless aspect of God (or the top circle) to Malkuth (the bottom circle) which is the Kingdom (or Physical Plane of Existence), is a perfect descriptor of reality of life.

Therefore the Tree of Life is one of the reality maps in which one can describe the world that we sense; thus making it a valid icon. Good call.

Last edited:

dhouseholder

I happen to be of the religion upon which “All wise men agreeâ€; you may ask, what religion may that be? To wit I would answer; wise men do not tell!
Nor should they ask! If you answered "in God" then it should not be an issue.

It’s time to send the scalawags into the hinterlands, between the apologists and the self righteous religious bigots whom like the Pharisees who were commanded to pray in their closets; it’s time they were told that their ignorance betrays them and they should not be the purveyors of hate but of love as they were so commanded. These individuals such as Dr. Holly (ex SBC) et al. need to be exposed for what they are… Charlatans!
I think Freemasonry teaches a man to keep one's passions within due bounds. Once they have exceeded that boundary, you must rethink your actions.

I had also understood it to be that you had to believe in One God, BUT I was thinking in the sense of the Christian God, Muslim God, or Buddha. AFTER I listened to the others here explain how a multi god or goddess belief works, as in there is always one that is the All powerful or over all others. I understand that the multi god belief isn't any different than any of the singular god beliefs. As far as believing that there is One supreme Deity. So I believe that we are following the traditions, we just have to be open minded enough to Hear and learn what we don't understand.
So mote it be! Once we can all agree that EQUAL and DUE parts reason and faith lead us to righteousness, we can then be fit for the Builder's use.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
I think Freemasonry teaches a man to keep one's passions within due bounds. Once they have exceeded that boundary, you must rethink your actions.

While indeed it does; it also teaches tolerance and abhors bigotry, but then again you were not witness to Dr. Holly and his ilk writing down license numbers of your lodge members while parked at the lodge during meetings and then excoriating them on Sunday were you? Have you been told that you were no longer welcomed as a member of your religion, or you cannot receive a “proper funeral†because you are a Mason� It would seem that organized religion is suffering enough at it’s own hands (membership issues) and ought not be condemning other organizations by bearing false witness against their neighbors.

Tolerance only goes so far my brother… As you can see this is a two way street. The light of truth needs to be shed on these charlatans, whether it’s the, “I wrote a book exposing Freemasonryâ€, or “they worship the devil†crowd; I think very few of these individuals are doing these things through ignorance but greed, power and control and should be exposed as such. The only thing I can say good about Dr. Holly is that he succeeded in doing the opposite of what he was trying to achieve, he actually drove candidates to our doors and he has been thrown out of the SBC! There is an old saying; “if you don’t take care of politics; politics will take care of you“!

Sirius

you cannot receive a “proper funeral†because you are a Mason�

When My Uncle Jake (pm, Ceder Creek Lodge) passed away the family asked me speak at his funeral in the church my uncle helped build. That day I approached the pastor to ask about funeral logistics, and he asked me what I was going to say form the lectern. And I told him. The word freemasonry was used. 20 minutes later the pastor came back and said I would not be allowed to speak inside the church , a church I used to be a member of. The also did not allow the Masonic funeral in the church, it had to be short formed in the 103 degree heat at graveside.

Status
Not open for further replies.