Your GL's position on reading Ritual versus reciting Ritual by memory

Discussion in 'The Voting Booth' started by Bloke, Nov 30, 2020.

?

Reading Ritual versus Reciting Ritual by memory ?

1. My Grand Lodge's approach is to allow the Ritual to be read in its subordinate lodges

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. My Grand Lodge's approach is to require that the Ritual be recited by memory in its Lodges

90.9%
  3. My Grand Lodge leaves the decision to read or recite by memory to its lodges to decide

9.1%
  1. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Does your Grand Lodge have a position on if the ceremonial can be read or must be recited - or is it left to individual lodges to decide ?
    Use the comments section to elaborate..

TheThumbPuppy likes this.
  2. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

Nothing should be read here, barring the chaplain's prayers. The IPM and secretary may have a ritual book open to assist prompting the master and everyone else respectively.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

jermy Bell likes this.
  3. TheThumbPuppy

TheThumbPuppy Registered User

I believe that reading is not an option in my Lodge (under the Supervision of GLoS).

In fact during each of my initial interviews and when I first met some of my brethren I was asked if I could recite verses in old-fashioned English with archaic expressions by heart. It seemed to be a pretty strong requirement.

I assume that it's the same rule across the GLoS, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Bloke and jermy Bell like this.
  4. Agent orange

Agent orange Registered User

GL of S - Requires all degree work and ceremonial work to be recited, not read.

Bill McMurdo.
    United Kingdom.

Sent from my iPad using My Freemasonry Mobile

Bloke and TheThumbPuppy like this.

Share My Freemasonry