My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millenials in Freemasonry

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Nor in my lodges. I have 0 gauge plugs in my ears, had a braid down to my waist when I petitioned, and have several tattoos. A friend of mine in the Detroit area has enough ink to cover me twice and he recently finished a very successful year in the East.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Tats dont bother me but inwould draw the line at facial tattoos...i think i would drop a black ball/cube if the petitioner had a face tattoo. In that case it doesnt matter how upright of a man you are no one will see past that and will judge the fraternity according to ur face tat

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I read something the other day where the author noted that all Millennials (with the checked shirts and bushy beards) look like deserters from a Civil War re-enactment. I immediately thought of some of our younger members and broke out laughing.

All tats should be covered, and if you are dressed properly, they will be. The one I have is. The gauged earring things are a no-go for me. We have one member that has at least had them. I don't know if he's abandoned them or just knows not to wear them to the lodge.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Tats dont bother me but inwould draw the line at facial tattoos...

To me tattoos are permanent and therefore come with homework. If you're going to get a tattoo do your homework and be able to explain what they are about. My problem with facial tattoos - In tribal cultures they tend to be earned. Badges of earned achievement and/or rank. If you have not earned such a marking it's disrespectful to wear it.

That same principle applies to military gear "stolen honor" and to our symbols. If you want an S&C tattooed on your body and you haven't been raised I say it needs to have "In loving memory..." on it. There's no effective way to do that with earned facial symbols. Who among us has a Grandpa who''s from a tribe and who earned a facial tattoo?

JJones

I'm not a big fan of tattoos or excessive piercings myself. I've come to realize that I'm a bit conservative most of the time though. :)

Ethan W

Premium Member
My tattoos are personal, meaningful, and important to me. They in no way should alter how someone views me. There is a time and a place for showing them. To me (as someone with tattoos) I go through every length I can to make sure that they are as covered as possible during lodge.
I guess I feel that you have no right to judge my "ink" and I have no right to force you to see it.

Sent from my XT1254 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
My tattoos are personal, meaningful, and important to me. They in no way should alter how someone views me. There is a time and a place for showing them. To me (as someone with tattoos) I go through every length I can to make sure that they are as covered as possible during lodge.
I guess I feel that you have no right to judge my "ink" and I have no right to force you to see it.

So.....an individual has a penis tattooed on the back of his head. May I judge that?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Tats dont bother me but inwould draw the line at facial tattoos...i think i would drop a black ball/cube if the petitioner had a face tattoo. In that case it doesnt matter how upright of a man you are no one will see past that and will judge the fraternity according to ur face tat

So this just happened tonight. We had a brother of a member of one of our sister lodges come by and request a petition. He had a neck tattoo and a ZIA(symbol on the Nm flag) under his left eye. I was speaking with our immediate PM after lodge and raised my concerns with him. About 5 min ago i got a text from this PM with a link to this persons mugshot. Looks like my concerns were well founded.

Ethan W

Premium Member
So this just happened tonight. We had a brother of a member of one of our sister lodges come by and request a petition. He had a neck tattoo and a ZIA(symbol on the Nm flag) under his left eye. I was speaking with our immediate PM after lodge and raised my concerns with him. About 5 min ago i got a text from this PM with a link to this persons mugshot. Looks like my concerns were well founded.

In modern society a facial tattoo just seems to be a severe lack of common sense, judgement, and stupidity. And that is coming from someone who likes tattoos.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor

Very good!
In modern society a facial tattoo just seems to be a severe lack of common sense, judgement, and stupidity. And that is coming from someone who likes tattoos.

Totally agree!