My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One-Day classes, What do YOU think?

Are you in favor of One-Day Classes?

• Total voters

okielabrat

This may ruffle a feather or two, which is not my intention, but my answer in short is a firm NO!

Our Grand Lodge in Guthrie, OK has this program, and while it may appeal to the later generations who want it all quickly, it makes me think of the phrase "Instant Mason". I learned the work the hard way, and had a patient instructor, and wasn't even the least bit nervous when I turned in my work. I learned a great deal from my initiation, passing and raising ceremonies, as they left a more lasting impression upon my mind and heart than a Readers Digest Condensed Version class ever could. I even held off wearing any Masonic jewelry until I turned in my MM proficiency as a form of motivation- delayed gratification is a sweeter reward than instant gratification, IMO.

I am now attending floor work sessions to participate in degree teams, as well as any future terms as a lodge officer, Lord willing. But then again, I was raised by parents who had the Puritan work ethic, and at the tender young age of 61 I find myself approaching the work more & more like Dad would have in his career.

Could there be special cases? Yes, and they must be examined carefully. Otherwise, time to get your hands dirty.

flameburns623

In Illinois, moving from EA to MM has already been significantly simplified. Very little memory work, more inductive lessons and review of the degree lecture just given. I am told that these strategies are producing Masons just as good as the former mouth-to-ear rote learning generated. If the candidate is diligent, the process can be completed in a relatively few weeks.

One can still do the hard work of memorizing the catechism of each degree and being publicly examined by the WM: but this has reportedly become the exception and not the rule.

Instead, MM's who remain active are eventually promoted "through the chairs", learning as they go.

Since this is how we are raising men to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason, I don't see that this work cannot be performed in One-Day Festivals as easily as over an extended period.

Illinois occasionally has "Grand Master Festivals" to this end--in fact, just had one in June. I had hoped that my son-in-law would prepare himself to attend, but things got in his way. He still has the option to progress using the simplified learning modules which are the standard for Illinois these days.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
This may ruffle a feather or two, which is not my intention, but my answer in short is a firm NO!

Our Grand Lodge in Guthrie, OK has this program, and while it may appeal to the later generations who want it all quickly, it makes me think of the phrase "Instant Mason". I learned the work the hard way, and had a patient instructor, and wasn't even the least bit nervous when I turned in my work. I learned a great deal from my initiation, passing and raising ceremonies, as they left a more lasting impression upon my mind and heart than a Readers Digest Condensed Version class ever could. I even held off wearing any Masonic jewelry until I turned in my MM proficiency as a form of motivation- delayed gratification is a sweeter reward than instant gratification, IMO.

I am now attending floor work sessions to participate in degree teams, as well as any future terms as a lodge officer, Lord willing. But then again, I was raised by parents who had the Puritan work ethic, and at the tender young age of 61 I find myself approaching the work more & more like Dad would have in his career.

Could there be special cases? Yes, and they must be examined carefully. Otherwise, time to get your hands dirty.
And yet, in the early days of Scottish Freemasonry, the two degrees were conferred at once. In English Freemasonry, the proficiency usually consists of about 11 questions, with the deacon there to assist.

Also, I’ve not seen the degrees in an accelerated program to be a Readers Digest condensed version. They are fully performed.

dalinkou

Premium Member

The term "McMason" comes to mind. This practice (in my opinion) is not far removed from turning the craft into a public accommodation, where anyone with the appropriate fee gets in without an investigation or a vote. It won't hurt anyone to actually do "work", so I would suggest that the whole ODC McMason idea is discarded.

okielabrat

ee
Also, I’ve not seen the degrees in an accelerated program to be a Readers Digest condensed version. They are fully performed.

They may be, but I much prefer the degree rituals I participated in as a new Mason, as they left a deep, lasting impression on me. But then again, I like to work for my rewards- that's just my opinion. It wasn't really easy for me to learn my degree work, but I took pride in the proficiencies I turned in. It is my hope that these one-day Masons will get some sense of the teachings of each degree.

Roy_

The idea alone of one day classes or seeing somebody else going through a degree is what surprises European Masons. I don't think there's any organisation here (regular or irregular) that does this. One exception though. When a new order is to be found (like a Le Droit Humain federation in the early 1900's) and MMs are needed to start lodges, some people were rushed through their degrees. I don't think it has happened since. Neither do I see the reason for it. It's all for the lodge, not for the candidate. The lodge needs members, somebody who they can throw the Secretary function at, etc. but what's in it for the candidate?
Over here, the candidate doesn't memorise a catechism (at least, not in all organisations), but has to show (s)he has understood the degree and give a lecture about it and how it applies to every day life. This -of course- wouldn't work in a one day event.
A while ago there was (I believe it was) a Masonic Roundtable with a few people questioning some members of one of the American mixed gender organisations. When one mentioned that it took about 25 years to reach the 33º of the AASR, the rest started to applaud. Where's the fun when you cram 25 years of learning and experience into one day? The title? The possibility of membership of another organisation? Is that all there is to FM?

Bloke

Premium Member
Are Americans Still doing this in many places ?

Is the poll still representative of views ?

Winter

Premium Member
My home jurisdiction ended them and I had thought I had seen the last of this horrible practice of one day classes and Man to Mason programs. Sadly, recent Grand Masters have received the programs and even issued edicts that Brothers are to carry pocket petitions and actively recruit members.

Transmitted via R5 astromech using Tapatalk Galactic

PaulAbernathy

One day classes? No way. IMO, the journey through the blue lodge should take years.
Lord knows it has been taking me years...I started back in 2007 in Virginia and well "Life Happened" so here I am in Texas and now still working through my EA. The memorization seems daunting but I will continue to press on. So yes, my journey thus far has been quite long and I clearly have a long road ahead of me.

Mark Petro

NO!!
A temple is not built in a day, neither can the internal temple. You have to do the work, otherwise the internal temple will not have firm foundations.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
NO!!
A temple is not built in a day, neither can the internal temple. You have to do the work, otherwise the internal temple will not have firm foundations.
But I don’t see an appreciable difference that occurs in the building of that temple in less than a month, as compared to a day. I’ve been building for a number of years using a number of tools. I’m about done with the foundation.

Last edited:

jermy Bell

I have talked with a couple brothers from England about this, and (I) believe they got it right. There is a long space between degrees. Which you have to learn what each degree is about. Here in the states , it's like a drive through at a fast food restaurant. Get them in and passed so they can do (nothing).........

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I have talked with a couple brothers from England about this, and (I) believe they got it right. There is a long space between degrees. Which you have to learn what each degree is about. Here in the states , it's like a drive through at a fast food restaurant. Get them in and passed so they can do (nothing).........
Four weeks under UGLE Rule 72 is actually less than many US GLs which are 30 days between degrees.