(Over)dressing the part?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by TheReturning, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

We can wear just suit but many wear tails out of respect.
    We can also wear top hat from III wich we dont use in Sweden.

2. SørenSweR(I)

SørenSweR(I) Registered User

-----

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  3. tldubb

tldubb Premium Member

Same on Prince Hall side in Pennsylvania, tails only required at Grand Lodge session for all GL officers. It’s in our constitution Black, or Dark suit, white dress shirt, black tie and black shoes for all communications. Usually, PM’s wear neckties and typically bow ties for the rest, but it only says Neckties in our constitution.

Yes, it’s been told to me by our DDGM, I had my shrine pin on while visiting a lodge(raising)in my jurisdiction and was told politely by him to remove shrine lapel pin.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

4. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Ive understood it as being requierd from III in Denmark but its not used here in Sweden.
    Btw, Ämbetsmän translates to officers, not brothers on duty.

5. SørenSweR(I)

SørenSweR(I) Registered User

-----

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  6. Cootr68

Cootr68 Registered User

I didn't even own a suit before I became a MM. The lodges in my area are 90% farmers, factory workers, truck drivers and construction workers. All we ask is not filthy dirty or smelly also no a/c and we don't go dark during the summer months so it's pretty casual as long as you're dressed nice enough to go out in the public that's good enough. (Very few wear shorts though) If we are having degree work or other special engagements most wear dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bill Lins likes this.
  7. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

From our installation last night. I wanted to get a group picture of all of the officers, but between the various congratulations, attending to wives, and brothers wanting to get home after a long night, it was like herding cats.
    Also, my apologies for my shirt showing above my trousers. We have just finished running around removing the furniture and I hadn't noticed. I shall have to sack my valet for allowing such an oversight.
    [​IMG]

Bloke, Scoops and MWS like this.
  8. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

It is so hard to find a decent gentleman’s gentleman

Scoops and hanzosbm like this.
  9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I have column envy....

The best way to get a photo is to ask the WM to announce it from the Chair and that all brothers are to come back after closing for a group photo.

Ripcord22A and CLewey44 like this.
  10. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Lolol, good one. That a Freudian theory?

Bloke likes this.
  11. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

LOL... no, just one of our past tenant lodges owned our column and took them when they vacated - and I would like another two.. if I wanted one, it might be Freudian, but wanting two is a whole new level !

CLewey44 likes this.
  12. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

I don't know if I should go with the joke about you wanting two columns (giggity!) or the Masonic pun about a new level.

13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Take a bunch of posts from this forum. They'll add up to two columns very quickly. Bazinga.

14. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Well that escalated quickly.....‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

15. Thomas Stright

Thomas Stright Premium Member

We're laid back in our lodge... Anything from Suits to Overalls...

Come as You are.....(just no shorts/Tanks)

Warrior1256 likes this.
  16. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Agreed!

17. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

Honestly, that just boggles my brain. Even though I am a "young Mason" I am still very old school and wouldn't consider going to Lodge, Church, a business dinner, a wedding, or a funeral in anything other than a suit and tie.

I am not criticizing, just speaking from the perspective of how I was brought up. And if you think I came from a 'hoity toidy" background, my Dad was an auto mechanic and he is the one that drilled that into me. He would always say "Make some effort, show respect and dress like it matters to you."

Brother JC, MWS, Warrior1256 and 2 others like this.
  18. David612

David612 Registered User

A lot of people then argue that they would rather have the brethren there in the wrong attire than not have them there at all.
    Personally I feel that attitude is incorrect.

19. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

The main argument you're going to get is A. What if just got off work and cant change? B. I have medical issues and cant wear anything other than certain comfortable shoes, ie diabetic shoes or tennis shoes etc.

Answer, you can nearly always change when you arrive. If you cant on a regular basis you may be taking on more than you can handle. They make comfortable, medical "dress shoes". But even then, anything medical is excusable to me.

Thats a much stronger argument then I just dont want to. Suits are not that uncomfortable. Its not like a straight jacket and if it is, may be time to get it tailored. Cost, you can get full suit under 100 bucks. Good investment. I think alm this ties into retention and gaining new members.

Warrior1256 and David612 like this.
  20. David612

David612 Registered User

Honestly I bought my tux at the local Salvation Army;
    A) money goes to help the needy in my area
    B) your money typically buys you a better quality suit.
    C) you can buy several and rotate them.
    D) you can discard them when they get trashed.

I understand some may not fit an off the rack suit well but as someone who wears a 40L well I take advantage.

dfreybur and Bloke like this.

Share My Freemasonry