My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Representing the Craft

Do you think representing the craft as if it were a college frat has a negative or positive impact?

• Total voters

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Haven't seen the video. Okay let's say you did find a video of PHA masons dancing, so what. Just because one Lodge does it doesn't make it a custom for PHA masonry as a whole. There is a video online of a member of the Shriner international speaking on Lucifer and it caused controversy. Does his statement alone speak for all Shriner's ?
Apologies. Didn't mean to imply it was PHA lodge which many have seen doing a camel walk. I meant to indicate I didn't like it, as compared to the camel walk for Shriners of any fez, which doesn't bother me.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Apologies. Didn't mean to imply it was PHA lodge which many have seen doing a camel walk. I meant to indicate I didn't like it, as compared to the camel walk for Shriners of any fez, which doesn't bother me.
No need for apologies brother cook. I understand what all the brothers are saying regarding dancing and acting like college fraternities. I'm just stating that yes PHA Shriner's do the "Camel Walk" and just because one or two PHA blue lodges do some kind of dance at a ceremony does not speak for PHA masonry as a whole. I have never saw it in person. I can only speak from my personal experiences. When I was a member of the ELKS lodge, they danced at certain ceremonies. I don't know why, but they did.

Last edited:

Derinique Kendrick

I have no problem with it personally, Derinique. I think a lot of people just never think about joining or are so unfamiliar with it that sometimes it may take a simple suggestion like you said. I know some guys that are better "Masons" than some actually MMs and they've never stepped foot in a lodge. I have mentioned it to them but I never press it. I just say you'd make a good Mason and I think you'd enjoy it. They inevitably ask "Well, what do ya'll do?" That's the hardest question to answer without actually answering it lol.
I couldn't have said it any better. In the community where my lodge is, either men really don't know or they really don't care about what Masonry is. Sometimes, if you know a guy would make a good Mason, you have to give them that friendly nudge in hopes that they would inquire more about it. And you are so right, I know some non-masons who carry themselves much better than some brothers, unfortunate, but that's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
Well It is just my opinion to think that "walk" is quite weird and pointed out some potential concerns as Freemasonry in general.
Outsiders won't care you Shriners, Craft, Royal Arch or even fake masons, they just know that these people are (free)masons.
And I am sure some of my closer brethren would have a similar view on it.
I am not putting my rulers up to measure everyone, just expressing my views.
If you get offended, then I am sorry about my poor English as it is not my mother language.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Well It is just my opinion to think that "walk" is quite weird and pointed out some potential concerns as Freemasonry in general.
Outsiders won't care you Shriners, Craft, Royal Arch or even fake masons, they just know that these people are (free)masons.
And I am sure some of my closer brethren would have a similar view on it.
I am not putting my rulers up to measure everyone, just expressing my views.
If you get offended, then I am sorry about my poor English as it is not my mother language.

The people at those events probably love it. That type of dancing is a part of their culture. I am sure that some people don't like certain things of your culture regardless of what it is. They are Shriners and Shriners are known for having fun.

You don't have to like it. There are things in freemasonry that I don't like either. It is what it is

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
I am not forcing people to not like it with me. Apart from that I am also a Shriner, I like to have fun as well.
However I may have a British old school mind like a brother said before.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
I am not forcing people to not like it with me. Apart from that I am also a Shriner, I like to have fun as well.
However I may have a British old school mind like a brother said before.

I am a Shriner as well. Don't see a problem with it.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Move rhythmically to music, typically following a set sequence of steps. Lol okay my own definition, I guess similar to what the PHA shiners did in the video

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Move rhythmically to music, typically following a set sequence of steps. Lol okay my own definition, I guess similar to what the PHA shiners did in the video
I've never seen Shriners International members do a camel walk or the like, though I've not been to every temple.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
All jokes aside, I wonder if this is part of their ritual or just "fun time" for them

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

The Traveling Man

The Camel Walk has been used by PHA Shriners for a long time. They call it Riding, as in "Riding through the desert". I think the song they usually ride to is called "White Horse". Some Clandestine black Lodges also do the camel walk. The walk itself has been around for probably 100 years, and the version that the Shriners use has been around for over 50 years. James Brown used to do the camel walk.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
[QUOTE="The Traveling Man, post: Some Clandestine black Lodges also do the camel walk. [/QUOTE]
Im confused on by what you mean when you say clandestine black lodges because from my understanding any man regardless of race can join any lodge if he is voted on favorably by the brethren that would include GL of state PHA even clandestine lodges I am a Prince Hall mason and I have sat in tiled lodge with many white brothers who where also Prince hall Mason further more I don't see how having a little fun doing a dance is giving away any secrets or violating ones MM oath and obligation

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Not trying to single anyone out but I think it is a low blow for anyone to single a lodge out by one particular race a lodge can be predominantly composed of one particular race but open to all who wish to join

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Im confused on by what you mean when you say clandestine black lodges because from my understanding any man regardless of race can join any lodge if he is voted on favorably by the brethren that would include GL of state PHA even clandestine lodges I am a Prince Hall mason and I have sat in tiled lodge with many white brothers who where also Prince hall Mason further more I don't see how having a little fun doing a dance is giving away any secrets or violating ones MM oath and obligation

PHA is regular regardless if the state grand lodge considers them clandestine in the states where the PHA grand lodge is not recognized. Each grand lodge is sovereign. In some areas like Texas & New York, there are a lot of so called 4 letter clandestine lodges so much so that they greatly outnumber the PHA lodges.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Not trying to single anyone out but I think it is a low blow for anyone to single a lodge out by one particular race a lodge can be predominantly composed of one particular race but open to all who wish to join

Actually it isn't. And it is a big issue for the PHA grand lodges in certain states. I have no idea what criteria a clandestine lodge uses to recruit members.