My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Representing the Craft

Do you think representing the craft as if it were a college frat has a negative or positive impact?

• Total voters

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Yes they are masons, but they are not acting under freemasonry when it comes to dancing. They are doing something their appendent body come up with. I still haven't seen older freemasons, meaning just blue Lodge brothers dancing and acting like a College frat. But it's not a Masonic offense to dance anyways. I saw Shriner's doing a dance for their organization, but I've yet to see PHA masons representing the blue lodge dance in that kind of way.

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

So you are just a freemason when you are in the blue lodge?

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
This is how our next Table Lodge should look. I'm ready to hang with these cats. Nothing wrong with having some fun....

I kinda like it myself. I wonder if I could join both Shrines? Just a rhetorical question.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
So when you say representing the fraternity in a college fraternity like manner do you mean keggers and acting like ass hats while wearing Masonic Symbols? cause if so then yeah thats a terrible idea.
I think talking to young college men is a great idea BUT.....if it results in behavior like described above this would be a bad thing.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
There are many PHA Shriners videos on youtube doing the camel walk. I assume you have to be a PHA mason to be a PHA Shriner. Kinda like stepping.
Oh no... Smh...
I just find it quite ridiculous that they do this "walk" with our fezzes. I think wearing our fezzes to do this somehow may damage the image of Shriners...
I am fine of any people doing anything but they were wearing a fez and got filmed... I don't know how the public says when they watch this(?)
P.S. Sorry for my old school conservative British view.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Oh no... Smh...
I just find it quite ridiculous that they do this "walk" with our fezzes. I think wearing our fezzes to do this somehow may damage the image of Shriners...
I am fine of any people doing anything but they were wearing a fez and got filmed... I don't know how the public says when they watch this(?)

They are wearing their fezzes if I am not mistaken.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Oh no... Smh...

Recognising we are speaking of both Egyptian (PHA) and International Shrine, Shrine has Clowns, Oriental Bands, funny little cars...I assure you, this is relatively modest behaviour and really not offensive in the Shrine context. Placing an "old school British view" on Shrine probably is not the better approach. Now, the video of Masons at a funeral is a different matter.

FYI, I was a member of the European Shrine Club, have performed a ceremonial in London, and take some credit for the UK still being under Aahmes Shrine and not Emirat.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Yes they are masons, but they are not acting under freemasonry when it comes to dancing. They are doing something their appendent body come up with. I still haven't seen older freemasons, meaning just blue Lodge brothers dancing and acting like a College frat. But it's not a Masonic offense to dance anyways. I saw Shriner's doing a dance for their organization, but I've yet to see PHA masons representing the blue lodge dance in that kind of way.

All you have to say is that we do things differently and let it go at that instead of getting defensive.

Last edited:

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I wasn't getting defensive. As a matter of fact, my post wasn't directed to anyone in particular. Just setting the record straight for anyone that thinks this is a custom for PHA blue Lodge masonry. It's not ! This is something the Shriner's do. So no I'm not going to say we do things differently when it comes to masonry because we don't. You posted a video of an appendant body doing a dance. Again, that is not something done in the blue lodges.

Last edited:

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
I wasn't getting defensive. As a matter of fact, my post wasn't directed to anyone in particular. Just setting the record straight for anyone that thinks this is a custom for PHA blue Lodge masonry. It's not ! This is something the Shriner's do. So no I'm not going to say we do things differently when it comes to masonry because we don't. You posted a video of an appendant body doing a dance. Again, that is not something done in the blue lodges.

Sounds defensive to me. Guess you didn't see the last video I posted.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Haven't seen the video. Okay let's say you did find a video of PHA masons dancing, so what. Just because one Lodge does it doesn't make it a custom for PHA masonry as a whole. There is a video online of a member of the Shriner international speaking on Lucifer and it caused controversy. Does his statement alone speak for all Shriner's ?

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Haven't seen the video. Okay let's say you did find a video of PHA masons dancing, so what. Just because one Lodge does it doesn't make it a custom for PHA masonry as a whole. There is a video online of a member of the Shriner international speaking on Lucifer and it caused controversy. Does his statement alone speak for all Shriner's ?

You are the only one that keeps making the custom argument. You stated that you had never seen something before. So I posted a video. You stated that you never saw something else. I posted another video.

Last edited:

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Last time, it's a appendent body custom not blue lodge. Thank you for the conversation brother.