My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sacred Geometry

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
As we know, Hiram I was a Phoenician King and came from Tyre. Another Phoenician settlement was in Byblos. Byblos was a name given by the Greeks. Prior to that, it was known as Gebal - home of the Giblim, or Ghiblim, or perhaps more familiarly, Giblites. The stone-squarers. They worshipped Baal. What has been suggested as a prototype of Solomon's Temple is Melqart's Temple at Tyre, right down to the twin pillars at the entrance. That makes sense, because as you say, the Hebrews were, at that point in history, a nomadic (and extremely warlike) people, who mostly lived in tents. Gebal, on the other hand, is an ancient city. Really ancient - having Neolithic origins.

Gebal probably means "the well"/"the source" + "God", from "GB" + "El"--"The well of God" or "The Source of God". "Ba'al" is not a name, but a word. It means "lord" or "master". Thus, every Phoenician town worshipped some "Ba'al" or another, but not the same "Ba'al".

widows son

Premium Member
Very true. In fact a lot Canaanite/phoenician rulers attached ba'al to the end of their name to show they were the lord of the domain, usually a city state. Their gods were asherah, el and ba,al

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
A little off topic, but I have been to Byblos and what an extraordinary area. Near by is Baalbek and some of the most extraordinary ruins in the world. The temples there that still remain are to Jupiter and to Bacchus. Local legend and some archaeological evidence suggest in Byblos and throughout the area was a mixture of different monolatristic approaches to Deity.

Godfrey Daniel

I don't eat giblets.

Attachments

• Canaan Map.jpg
    Canaan Map.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

widows son

Premium Member
There are some good BBC documentaries of archeology in the holy land. If you YouTube : BBC archeology Israel you'll find two of them. A good watch, and 100% no conspiracy, just science at its best.

widows son

Premium Member
I think the reference with nimrod and the origins of masonry are due to the area between the Tigris and Euphrates is where most of things civilized emerged, including building. The one movie concerns the legitimacy of biblical archeology and discusses some theories as to how things were when king David ruled. They get into whether David was a regal king or a rural chieftain. The other concerns the history of the Israelites and their links with the Canaanites.

widows son

Premium Member
It's interesting to hear that turkey was home to the earliest civilization, but i think a date 6500BCE is when the earliest date for sumer and akkadian civilizations. I'm not sure the name but the mountainous caves in turkey have been inhabited since 10,000 to 7000 BCE, making it the oldest continually inhabited area on earth. I think looking at Euclidean geometry as an operative geometry is a great point of view. Sacred geometry has been around for 1000's of years asks I don't see it dying out anytime soon.

widows son

Premium Member
I was also reading how trade from the mod east went as far as Gaul before, during and after the roman empire. Tin was mined in Gaul, and many traders from the Levant travelled there to get it. It's always assumed that contact with Europe wasn't as wide spread as it really was.

widows son

Premium Member
I thought the fertile crescent encompassed more area than that. I'm sure contact with other peoples around them was a constant.