My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling Certificate

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Anyone have one?

To all Free and Accepted Masons throughout the Globe – Greetings:

Know ye, that the bearer hereof, Brother ________ has been regu- larly initiated an Entered Apprentice, passed Fellowcraft, and raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason; and having worked among us to our entire satisfaction, as a true, faithful and worthy Brother, we, the Worshipful Master, Wardens and Brethren of ________ Lodge No. _____, A.F. & A.M., recommend that he be received and acknowledged as such by
all Free and Accepted Masons, wherever dispersed.
His dues have been paid to the _______ day of _________, A. D. 20 _____.
After which date this certificate becomes out of date.
In Testimony whereof, we have granted him this certificate, under the
Seal of our Lodge, first causing him to write his name in the margin, that he alone may have the benefit thereof.
Given at _______, Texas, this ___ day of _______, A. D. 20 ___, A.L. 60 __.
(Seal) _____________________________ Secretary. This is to Certify That _______ Lodge No. ____ is a regularly constituted Lodge,
working under a charter granted by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas. In testimony of which, I have hereunto affixed my official signature and the Seal of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas, this _____ day of ___________,
A. D. 20 ____, A.L. 60 ____.
(Seal) _______________________Grand Secretary.

Bro Mike

We had a traveling Brother present one from another state GL while visiting last year. It was nicely printed and a high quality certificate. I was duly impressed.

The Brother laughed and shared that his GL's Grand Secretary is a friend and neighbor and he admitted the certificate had been made a little nicer than normal.:thumbup:

LukeD

That is pretty cool idea. Would it completely replace the need for an examination?

Mac

Premium Member
I have a blank copy of one from the 40's. I believe it's GLoTX-specific, too (as issuing party).

Nate Riley

Premium Member
That is pretty cool idea. Would it completely replace the need for an examination?

Never!

I asked asked for one, when I was going to be visting some lodges last year. I was told I should already have all that I need, in my head and in my wallet. I was also told that some of the brothers at the lodges I intended to visit would not even know what it was (and they might be more suspicious).

I do know the tilers oath. I wonder how many new MMs ever learn it?

Timothy Fleischer

Your Lodge Secretary can provide you with this certificate. It does not relieve you of proving yourself a Mason in other ways (esoterically).

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Your Lodge Secretary can provide you with this certificate. It does not relieve you of proving yourself a Mason in other ways (esoterically).

I can assure you that your dues card and this passport (internationally) mean virtually nothing, while proficency in your memory work in all degrees are the determining factors...As well as a letter of introduction from your G.S.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Tiler's Oath now mandatory. The form of which you speak is in the law book forms section. Looks very nice. I'd love to have one to hang on the wall in the study. But no, I don't think it's going to get you past any tiler and SD worth their salt.

I firmly believe we should all pay more attention to the training of new tilers and SDs than we do. They must guard the West Gate.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Just a quick question about this certificate. Is it just a certificate, or is there some places on the back to have Brothers from the lodge being visited to sign, or even just to write in what lodge was visited and when? Sort of like that whole "passport" thing?

Mac

Premium Member
TravCert.jpg

Here is the certificate I found. The Lodge was about to throw this out (along with a bunch of old stuff). I think my Lodge has been the single biggest patron of my personal library. ;)

Bigmel

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have one from my great grandfather filled out an sealed in 1871 it is on parchment I had it framed by a pro and presented to my son when he was installed as WM in 2010

calo

Just a quick question about this certificate. Is it just a certificate, or is there some places on the back to have Brothers from the lodge being visited to sign, or even just to write in what lodge was visited and when? Sort of like that whole "passport" thing?

The traveling certificate is just a certificate and it's only good for one year. It is blank on the back.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I have seen brethren from a few northern jurisdictions travel through our lodge who have asked for lodge stamps, etc., to be placed in a passport. This is only to show that they have traveled to a particular lodge. It's a very neat idea and I would like to know if such a program exists in Texas. Otherwise, it's becoming difficult for me to remember the various masonic lodges I have attended. Later, it will become impossible.

Would not this be an excellent heirloom to hand down to posterity?

Yo ... Wild Bill, we could carry a few spares to hand down to that same posterity showing all the lodges we were denied entrance or thrown out of when we were able to slip past slumbering tilers. What say ye? :17: