My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st step taken in the Scottish Rite

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Okay makes sense. I was informed that if a mason wanted to be a 33° he had to pay a large amount of money. I guess more so buy the degree versus you earn it

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app
There is a significant monetary contribution you must make but you can only receive the 33rd degree by being recommended by a 33rd for your work in the Scottish Rite in my jurisdiction minimum 2 years in and at least 33 years of age and when recommend you have to be approved by the board

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
There is a significant monetary contribution you must make but you can only receive the 33rd degree by being recommended by a 33rd for your work in the Scottish Rite in my jurisdiction minimum 2 years in and at least 33 years of age and when recommend you have to be approved by the board
Interesting, that explains it.

dfreybur

Premium Member
PH caps are so different....

Nicer than mine. My AASR-SJ cap is not as high - About half the height of the one in Bro Roboert's photo. My AASR-SJ cap is made from lower quality material - Mine is soft enough that it almost forms a beanie when compared to the square and crisp one in Br Robert's photo.

I've seen valleys where all the brothers wear caps that are squared off at the top. It looks nice. My mother valley prefers caps that are soft at the top to almost form beanies. When I visited Valley of Chicago in Northern Jurisdiction only line officers wore caps. As I had learned in my mother valley my cap went on as I stepped through the door of the building. Lots of variation in details of types of cap and how to wear them.

mrpierce17

Premium Member
I have a question as to how 32nds are styled from jurisdiction to jurisdiction Sublime Prince , Illustrious or both Sublime Prince Illustrious bro ???

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I have a question as to how 32nds are styled from jurisdiction to jurisdiction Sublime Prince , Illustrious or both Sublime Prince Illustrious bro ???
in both my valleys we are Just Bro., if you are KCCH then you are Honored Bro, and if a 33rd then you are Ill. Bro.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
We ware them most opt to just ware a 32nd though unless opening LOP
What's the "rule" on wearing the 14° ring ? Is it like the blue Lodge were you have to be a master mason before you can wear the ring, or since I am a 14° mason I can wear the ring, or wait till I become a 32° ?

mrpierce17

Premium Member
What's the "rule" on wearing the 14° ring ? Is it like the blue Lodge were you have to be a master mason before you can wear the ring, or since I am a 14° mason I can wear the ring, or wait till I become a 32° ?
Check with your consistory or commander and chief

dfreybur

Premium Member
Since it's a 14th degree ring it never occurred to me that there might be any tradition against wearing it once conferred the 14th degree.

That said my class was two weekends and the Brothers who ordered their rings were issued the rings after getting the 32nd degree. Instead of purchasing an official 14th degree yod ring I chose to wait and get and unofficial 32nd degree double-eagle ring.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
the 14s degree ring I was given is completely encased in a plastic pyramid that I have on my Mantel at home. I would be surprised if the ring inside the plastic was itself plastic. It cool but I wish they would have issued actual rings.

mrpierce17

Premium Member
What is the rules in your jurisdiction ?
I will have to double check but I think we don't wear them until after getting our 32nd I say this because we are not members of the consistory until we reach 32nd but it is a catch because there are 4 houses that make up the Scottish Rite Lodge of Perfection being one of them

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I will have to double check but I think we don't wear them until after getting our 32nd I say this because we are not members of the consistory until we reach 32nd but it is a catch because there are 4 houses that make up the Scottish Rite Lodge of Perfection being one of them
Exactly if a man is already reached the 14th degree he is a member of the Lodge of perfection. Sowhy would he not be entitled to that particular house ?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Trying you in the AASR? Come on.! as talked about before on here...the only time a brother should be getting tried should be when hes trying to sit in a lodge for the first time and no one can vouch for that brother. If you are wearing a 14th degree ring after having received that deg but have not yet completed the AASR and received your membership card just tell some one that.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Trying you in the AASR? Come on.! as talked about before on here...the only time a brother should be getting tried should be when hes trying to sit in a lodge for the first time and no one can vouch for that brother. If you are wearing a 14th degree ring after having received that deg but have not yet completed the AASR and received your membership card just tell some one that.
It was more so a joke. Although I know of a couple of brothers that would actually say it. They've said the same thing about the Shrine. Don't wear this or a brother will try you.