My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Affiliation

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
What is the official process for affiliation of another lodge in Texas? I started this process in January and still have not completed it.

Glen Rose # 525

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
To begin with, you get a Certificate of Good Standing from the Secretary of your current Lodge. This permits you to either transfer your membership to another Lodge or to affiliate with another Lodge as a plural member, while maintaining your membership in your current Lodge. You give the CGS, along with a completed Petition for Affiliation by CGS to the Secretary of the Lodge with which you wish to affiliate. He presents your paperwork at a stated meeting, at which time the WM either calls for a vote or, if any member (including himself) desires, will form an investigating committee. If a committee is appointed, they will report their findings to the Lodge at the next stated meeting, at which time a ballot will be conducted. Depending at what point during the month you submit your petition, say, right after their stated meeting, it could take as long as 2 months more before action is completed on it, if they only meet once a month.

dfreybur

Premium Member
To begin with, you get a Certificate of Good Standing from the Secretary of your current Lodge. This permits you to either transfer your membership to another Lodge or to affiliate with another Lodge as a plural member, while maintaining your membership in your current Lodge. You give the CGS, along with a completed Petition for Affiliation by CGS to the Secretary of the Lodge with which you wish to affiliate. He presents your paperwork at a stated meeting, at which time the WM either calls for a vote or, if any member (including himself) desires, will form an investigating committee. If a committee is appointed, they will report their findings to the Lodge at the next stated meeting, at which time a ballot will be conducted. Depending at what point during the month you submit your petition, say, right after their stated meeting, it could take as long as 2 months more before action is completed on it, if they only meet once a month.

Bro Bill,

Is the process for dual affiliation the same as the process for multiple affiliation? I have no idea if my CGS needs to be routed Sec to Gr Sec to Gr Sec to Sec. Is the fact that I can attach it to my petition a way of getting around the routing through two GL offices? For that matter I take it I need a CGS from each lodge I'm a member of.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro Bill,

Is the process for dual affiliation the same as the process for multiple affiliation? I have no idea if my CGS needs to be routed Sec to Gr Sec to Gr Sec to Sec. Is the fact that I can attach it to my petition a way of getting around the routing through two GL offices? For that matter I take it I need a CGS from each lodge I'm a member of.

OK- now we got us a different kettle of fish here. Bro. Bennylee is affiliating from one GLoTX Lodge to another GLoTX Lodge. In your case it's a bit more complicated. For me to answer your question accurately, please advise the following:

1. Which Grand Lodge is your parent Lodge under? (Parent Lodge being the one in which you were raised, if you are still a member there- otherwise the Lodge in which you are currently a member and have been for the longest period of time).

2. Do you intend to affiliate with more than one GLoTX Lodge?

dfreybur

Premium Member
OK- now we got us a different kettle of fish here. Bro. Bennylee is affiliating from one GLoTX Lodge to another GLoTX Lodge. In your case it's a bit more complicated. For me to answer your question accurately, please advise the following:

1. Which Grand Lodge is your parent Lodge under? (Parent Lodge being the one in which you were raised, if you are still a member there- otherwise the Lodge in which you are currently a member and have been for the longest period of time).

My mother lodge is Pasadena 272 California F&AM. My degrees were in 1993. I'm a life member PM 1999 there with no plan to ever demit.

Plus I hold memberships in Illinois AF&AM where I have shorter tenure - One lm/PM the other honorary. Also no plan to ever demit.

2. Do you intend to affiliate with more than one GLoTX Lodge?

One at a time, but it's not unlikely in time. After a decade in Illinois I hold two memberships so that could end up setting my trajectory.

I don't include the Lodge of Research. I do join Lodge of Research in my jurisdictions within a few years. If I read the write-up correctly Tranquility Lodge operates more like a Lodge of Research than like a craft lodge. Being a space buff from way back that's on my list at some point eventually as well.

Thanks for the educational discussion.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
My mother lodge is Pasadena 272 California F&AM. My degrees were in 1993. I'm a life member PM 1999 there with no plan to ever demit.

Plus I hold memberships in Illinois AF&AM where I have shorter tenure - One lm/PM the other honorary. Also no plan to ever demit.

One at a time, but it's not unlikely in time. After a decade in Illinois I hold two memberships so that could end up setting my trajectory.

I don't include the Lodge of Research. I do join Lodge of Research in my jurisdictions within a few years. If I read the write-up correctly Tranquility Lodge operates more like a Lodge of Research than like a craft lodge. Being a space buff from way back that's on my list at some point eventually as well.

Thanks for the educational discussion.

OK. To affiliate with a GLoTX Lodge, you'll need for the Secretary of Pasadena #272 to transmit their equivalent of a Certificate of Good Standing to you. That's the only CGS you'll need. You would then present it, along with our Petition for Affiliation, to the Texas Lodge with which you wish to affiliate. If accepted, the Texas Lodge Secretary will notify the CA & IL GLs via the Texas Grand Secretary. As long as you remain a member of Pasadena #272, any further affiliations in Texas, including TLR, will have to follow the same procedure- you can't short-circuit the process. Sorry 'bout that. :wink:

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
OK. To affiliate with a GLoTX Lodge, you'll need for the Secretary of Pasadena #272 to transmit their equivalent of a Certificate of Good Standing to you. That's the only CGS you'll need. You would then present it, along with our Petition for Affiliation, to the Texas Lodge with which you wish to affiliate. If accepted, the Texas Lodge Secretary will notify the CA & IL GLs via the Texas Grand Secretary. As long as you remain a member of Pasadena #272, any further affiliations in Texas, including TLR, will have to follow the same procedure- you can't short-circuit the process. Sorry 'bout that. :wink:

So the process is very similar to the first time I affiliated with a lodge in another GL, but in Texas I'll need to go through the process for every affiliation not just for the first one. Once a member of one Illinois lodge I could affiliate with others including Lodge of Research using the less paperwork method. Not so in Texas. Okay no problem. Thanks!