My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amateur Radio

SC Heston

Premium Member
It isn't necessarily a sport or an outdoor activity, unless you partake in T-Hunts, Field Day, or a WX Chaser.

If MoT members currently a holder of a valid Amateur Radio License, list your curent callsign, current class, the date you were first issued a license, and any favorite bands & modes of operation or special activities you do in the service of Amateur Radio.

N5UBL
General
HF SSB

Bogey08

Premium Member
First issued a Novice license on March 3, 1978 as WD6CVG and changed to K6GRY on September 12, 2006. Have a 2 & 440 meter radio, but 440 has been restricted by a local Air Force base. My Yaesu radio is all band, but only have a 40 m dipole in the attic (due to the local cc&r's). You might find me on EchoLink from time to time as well as some Sunday nights on the Masonic Freemason node #83055. I believe the Net Control operator is in Texas.
Thanks for starting the question, maybe we can have a mini net sometime.
Brother Gary Kramer
K6GRY
General
Lincoln, CA (Near Sacramento)

SC Heston

Premium Member
Ol Kev,

Thanks for responding. I travel to New Mexico on occasion and drive through post. I'm not sure if I can hit a repeater in Lubbock from there, but it is possible under the right conditions, I suppose. Maybe we can have a short QSO someday.

SC Heston

Premium Member
Gary,

I recall when I was getting back into the radio hobby and living in Northern California back in the mid 90's that Beale AFB and the AR community were working together to solve the 440 issue.

I'll have to jump on that EchoLink node one Sunday evening to check into the Net. On a side note, I was going through the various bands mid-summer last year and came upon a fellow that was calling a Masonic Fellowship net. I had not yet been considering becoming a Mason at this point, but being curious, I stopped and listened for a bit. The net control op ended up being about 2 miles directly South of my QTH. I have, to this day, never met him personally. I'll have to stop by and introduce myself. What is the name of the NCO of the Echolink Node #83055?

Yes, it would be fun to get a mini-net together. I have some issues with the CC&R's here myself and having a heck of a time getting my station to perform well. I had a simple wire dipole up, but to keep it out of the view of the neighbors it ended up being a cloudwarmer so I took it down. My Hustler 5BTV works well, even without radials, but I'm thinking of making a flagpole antenna soon. We'll have to setup a sked to see if we can get into contact one weekend here soon.

Take care and thanks for the response.

Bogey08

Premium Member
I believe the Net is just called "Freemasons". If you have Echolink setup give me a try every now and then. I'll make sure it is on (even while at work).
73's
Gary

Ol Kev

Ol Kev,

Thanks for responding. I travel to New Mexico on occasion and drive through post. I'm not sure if I can hit a repeater in Lubbock from there, but it is possible under the right conditions, I suppose. Maybe we can have a short QSO someday.
Sounds good. I usually am scanning the local channels. 440 more popular than 2M. But, being in Post 2M might be your best bet. Some of the 440's are linked for weather watches though.

Ol Kev

Gary,

I recall when I was getting back into the radio hobby and living in Northern California back in the mid 90's that Beale AFB and the AR community were working together to solve the 440 issue.

I'll have to jump on that EchoLink node one Sunday evening to check into the Net. On a side note, I was going through the various bands mid-summer last year and came upon a fellow that was calling a Masonic Fellowship net. I had not yet been considering becoming a Mason at this point, but being curious, I stopped and listened for a bit. The net control op ended up being about 2 miles directly South of my QTH. I have, to this day, never met him personally. I'll have to stop by and introduce myself. What is the name of the NCO of the Echolink Node #83055?

Yes, it would be fun to get a mini-net together. I have some issues with the CC&R's here myself and having a heck of a time getting my station to perform well. I had a simple wire dipole up, but to keep it out of the view of the neighbors it ended up being a cloudwarmer so I took it down. My Hustler 5BTV works well, even without radials, but I'm thinking of making a flagpole antenna soon. We'll have to setup a sked to see if we can get into contact one weekend here soon.

Take care and thanks for the response.

I just got through looking this thing up. On EchoLink in the conference list it shows MASONS. The node is 83055 and in the "Freemasons Room" on the eQSO Internet system.
http://masonicgathering.net/

Masonic Gathering Net

Sunday 2130 EST
Net Control is "Wade KC5MGL" in Princeton Texas
usually last for about an hour.

European Masonic Gathering Net
Sunday 1300 CST (USA)
Net Control is Brother "Frank 5P2BA"

Here is another net I discovered:
Masonic Fellowship Mon-Fri 16:30UCT 14,328 mHZ WA6VYO Lee

Last edited:

Txmason

Howdy! I'm Jerry and I've always been interested in Amateur/Ham Radio. How do I get started in this hobby?

Secondly, are there any brothers in Montgomery County, Texas that I could talk to? I started out listening to a Bearcat Scanner (still do) and would like to learn more about Ham radio.

Best,
Jerry

Ol Kev

Howdy! I'm Jerry and I've always been interested in Amateur/Ham Radio. How do I get started in this hobby?

Secondly, are there any brothers in Montgomery County, Texas that I could talk to? I started out listening to a Bearcat Scanner (still do) and would like to learn more about Ham radio.

Best,
Jerry

Here is a place to start: ARRL Getting Licensed

Here is a book to study: Technician Class 2010-2014 by Gordon West
or the manual is online

The Test Question Pool The test is 35 questions. Have to get 26 correct and the pool of the test questions is published!

The technician class license is the first level and the easiest. Not much theory mostly rules and procedures.

Montgomery County Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES)
This group can most likely point you in the right direction for where to go to take your FCC test

Hope this helps - Good luck!

Hippie19950

Premium Member
N5XMV located between Hearne and Franklin, Tx. Seems like I was licensed in 1990 or 1991. Had a Novice ticket in the 60's and gave up on Ham Radio while in the service. Never thought about it anymore until the late 80's. Had a few minor issues with V.N., and just wasn't ready for a lot of things I once found to be fun. Blocked out a lot from that time. Now, I'm enjoying life, and work a little CW on 40 when I can relax and on 2m mostly in this area. Wide Area repeater in Temple Texas on 147.140 w 123.0 tone.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Gary, I recall when I was getting back into the radio hobby and living in Northern California back in the mid 90's that Beale AFB and the AR community were working together to solve the 440 issue. I'll have to jump on that EchoLink node one Sunday evening to check into the Net. On a side note, I was going through the various bands mid-summer last year and came upon a fellow that was calling a Masonic Fellowship net. I had not yet been considering becoming a Mason at this point, but being curious, I stopped and listened for a bit. The net control op ended up being about 2 miles directly South of my QTH. I have, to this day, never met him personally. I'll have to stop by and introduce myself. What is the name of the NCO of the Echolink Node #83055? Yes, it would be fun to get a mini-net together. I have some issues with the CC&R's here myself and having a heck of a time getting my station to perform well. I had a simple wire dipole up, but to keep it out of the view of the neighbors it ended up being a cloudwarmer so I took it down. My Hustler 5BTV works well, even without radials, but I'm thinking of making a flagpole antenna soon. We'll have to setup a sked to see if we can get into contact one weekend here soon.

Oh my goodnes...lol I literally understood nothing of what you guys were talking about...lol I was in the beginning just overlooking this thread as I have only had minimal interest in amateur radios, but was visiting my father this weekend and a I saw a radio contration that he has at the house. He got into that kind of stuff a while back, but hasn't used it in quite a long while. It's not even hooked up.

It reminded me of this thread so I figured I would check it out and see what all the buzz is about and that maybe I could take over my father's stuff, get my lisences of whatever you need and try it out. But you guys really just blew my mind with what all ya'll were talkinga bout..lol Any good reference websites on how to get started in all of this? How far out do the radios typically reach? I mean, is it quite a bit different than using a CB?...lol Sounds like a dumb question, but I really know nothing about all this stuff..lol

Oh, and Bro. Heston, I see that you are in Round Rock. My parents live out in Burnet so I am out there quite a bit..lol

EDIT: I just noticed one of the more recent posts by Ol' Kev with some information on how to get started. Are there any other informational resources about the hobby?

Last edited:

SC Heston

Premium Member
Michael,

It would be awesome for us to meet personally and talk radio, with Burnet being "just up the road a piece". PM me a few days in advance so I can be sure to be available for your visit.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Michael, It would be awesome for us to meet personally and talk radio, with Burnet being "just up the road a piece". PM me a few days in advance so I can be sure to be available for your visit.

Sounds like a plan. I already left Burnet and am back up in Denton. Needed to get home pretty quick, but like I said, I come down there all the time for family. Next time I come to town I'll send you a PM and we can try to set up an opportunity to link up.

Michael, See my post above with the links and it will get you started.

Thanks a lot for those links. I will take a look at them tonight or tomorrow and try to get an idea of what I am looking into...lol

If your in Round Rock, swing by Round Top and go to theRound Top Cafe

What is the Round Top Cafe? Just a good little place to eat like the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls that people come from all around to eat at?...lol

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
An excellent place to eat. Famous for it's pies!

Nice. I will have to try to load up my mother and father and take them up there to check the place out in a couple of weeks when I am down again. I don't eat pies, but my folks do. That is something the Bluebonnet Cafe is famous for as well. It has been there since 1929. People (famous and just us regular folks) have been coming from all over the country to eat at the Bluebonnet for years. To be honest, I have only eaten there three or four times in my life and I really don't know what the big deal is with the place..lol But, there is a lot to do in the Burnet/Marble Falls area and if you like the small town family feel, it really is a good place to go check out. And don't rely too much on my word about the food at Bluebonnet. I am really picky when it comes to food and mostly eat what I cook, and there are thousands of folks that come to town just to eat there, so I may not be the judge...lol Other than my own opinion of not knowing what is so special about it, I have never heard a bad thing about the place, honestly.

http://bluebonnetcafe.net/