My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assisting the WM

Plustax

Many years ago when I became a Mason in Georgia (now transferred to Tx), I recall a "Director of Works" would sit next to WM (on his right) & would assist when necessary if the WM forgot certain steps or words. This was done so that others in the Lodge would not call out loud words or steps when the WM stumbled (which I'm sure happens at times with anyone). This reduced in confusion, interruption & at times embarrasment. If on occaision someone did call out a word or step it was made clear that the Director of Works (advisor) was the final say in the matter & any discussion would be held AFTER the lodge meeting. All this actually worked very well and has always stayed & impressed me. I have suggested this in our local Tx lodge & some like the idea & some say " it's not our tradition". I've heard reasons like "the right side chair next to WM is for visiting dignataries, & other reasons/excuses. I guess this bothers me because all I'm trying to do is suggest a more professional decorum, less interruption, less embarrassment & less tension for the WM because we know that even though the A/C is turned down, it still gets "warm" in the East at times. LOL I just wonder if any lodges in Texas have or use this present method in assisting the WM. Names & titles of the "assistant" don't matter as long as it's just ONE person designated and everyone in Lodge knows this & which itself becomes tradition eventually. When our WM finishes in East he moves to Tiler the following year. Why not move to this Assistant position while everything is still fresh in his mind? Just wondering & sometimes a little frustrating when I see something that can be put to use and have seen it work (& probably STILL working in Georgia). Also, reason the person sits next to WM is so assistance is provided at low breath next to him to cause less distraction to Lodge members or candidate. IF a dignatary visits then the "assistant" moves to Left side of WM.... No muss no fuss... Simple as that.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Interesting. I have never heard of such an "assisitant".

I suppose that in Texas we rely on our secretaries to be the W.:M.:'s assistant...

chrmc

Out our lodge we've instituted such an assistant this year. We call him the Lodge Instructor. He's a former PM, and has been an A certificate holder as long as anyone can remember.
It is the intention that he'll both be the sole prompter during degrees and meetings, but also that he'll help brethren in general become better at the work.

Plustax

I'm curious as to where this Lodge Instructor sits brother?

Out our lodge we've instituted such an assistant this year. We call him the Lodge Instructor. He's a former PM, and has been an A certificate holder as long as anyone can remember.
It is the intention that he'll both be the sole prompter during degrees and meetings, but also that he'll help brethren in general become better at the work.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Why don't we utilize the role of Marshal for this role I wonder - isn't it part of the job? Maybe I am misunderstanding it.

I'm thinking it might be easier to give weight to an existing role, one which has a jewel, an apron, and a mandate than it may be to carve out a new one. Especially where the older members of the lodge are concerned, who are often the principal folks who have a tough time resisting the urge to make corrections, and who because of hearing impairments sometimes utilize a jarring volume to do so.

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
Why don't we utilize the role of Marshal for this role I wonder - isn't it part of the job? Maybe I am misunderstanding it.

I agree. I remain confused as to what the marshal does. The descriptions I have read allude to the Marshal as being a master of ceremonies, which would enable the lodge to also make him an assistant in ritual, however, at least at my lodge, the Marshal just sits in the Marshal's chair...for being an officer position it just does not seem like much, at least not from what I have seen so far anyways.

Plustax

I agree that the Marshall doesn't do much. At least I didn't for this past year. Vacuum the lodge, help clean kitchen, get ice. Kinda disappointing as there is no real function in our lodge for the Marshal. Told it was just to get used to being an oficer in a chair, but personally I can't see that as any type of learning experience. I participated in some degrees on my own, but that had nothing to do with being in the chair. I feel that someone else could be turned off while in that chair & decide to drop out. Our lodge also has another chair for MC. Is this in all lodges... Marshal & MC? Next is JS for me so I know I'll be busy for at least next 2 years. Is there a "standard" progression thru the chairs in Tx lodges?

I agree. I remain confused as to what the marshal does. The descriptions I have read allude to the Marshal as being a master of ceremonies, which would enable the lodge to also make him an assistant in ritual, however, at least at my lodge, the Marshal just sits in the Marshal's chair...for being an officer position it just does not seem like much, at least not from what I have seen so far anyways.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I agree that the Marshall doesn't do much. At least I didn't for this past year. Vacuum the lodge, help clean kitchen, get ice. Kinda disappointing as there is no real function in our lodge for the Marshal.

You might read that section of the Installation of Officers in your Monitor- it specifies the duties of both the Marshal & MC. Both are often underutilized in our Lodges.

bkoerner

Our Marshall sits by the secretary and carries communications from the sec to the WM so neither are walking around.

Plustax

Believe me I've read the Monitor however....... Well, it is what it is. I've said that the Marshal needs more responsibility and volunteered to take on keeping the book on maintaining/consolidating the time, hours for events done by the lodge brethren. This is needed at end of the year to be turned in to GLoT to maintain non profit status. I am just used to maintaining, organizing, managing things as I do this for a living. I manage between 5-7 projects around the world for HP at any given time and am used to staying busy & multi tasking continuously. Since I do this, I'm always looking for ways to streamline work, events & processes which I see our lodge could use some of. However, I also understand authority & can be an "indian" as well as a "chief". So I sit and bide my time while waiting patiently..... :39:

chrmc

I'm curious as to where this Lodge Instructor sits brother?

We've stuck him to the left of the WM. Kinda between the WM and secretary for stated meetings.
But for certain degrees he might take another place if the person do a certain part isn't that familiar with it. No need sitting him next to the WM if it for instance is the SW that may require the assistance.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Our Marshall is a Certified Public Accountant and comes in quite handy about this time of year. Keeps us straight with GLoTx.

Just a thought. Now we're looking for another very good certified plumber. They, too, are quite handy to have about the lodge.

:sneaky2: