My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attending lodge meetings

zouzoum

As a new mason ( 1year )I havent miss any of our lodge meetings and I always change any plans or trips to suit the meetings dates. However, I see masons who r more involved and r in offices do not attend for some silly reasons and not emergency as it has to be. What do u think ?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

relapse98

I think if you are an elected or appointed lodge officer, you should make it a priority to attend all stated and called meetings at your lodge. Other brothers get a pass from me, but if you agreed to be elected or accept the appointment... show up. And if something else has become a higher priority, don't accept an appointment for the next year (One would hope the WM would have enough sense not to keep moving you through the line if you aren't going to show up and do your job).

rpbrown

Premium Member
I somewhat agree with relapse98 on this. However, there are times when family issues or work keeps you from attending lodge. I am JW of our lodge and also in the A/C business. i make every effort to attend every meeting, however, there are times when I do have to work. I also have a family with grandkids. I will not miss a program that they are involved in.
I can honestly say, I have never missed a Stated Meeting and have made almost all degrees, called meetings, and practice sessions but there are times when life gets involved.

crono782

Premium Member
Thankfully, our WM-to-be has made it a point to state that any officers who wish to take office need to be there for not just stated meetings, but degrees, floor school, etc as well. In fact, our SW-to-be, opted to step down this next year because his business occupied too much of his time and he felt not able to commit enough to his position. Hard decision to make, but it is good to see men making decisions for the lodge and not themselves.

Things will come up from time to time and life does happen, but like you said, it is easy to pick out the brothers who are dedicated to attending and those who are not. I too feel that if you accept an officer position, you are committing your time to always be there during your term. I'd like to see other brothers always attend, but that is another discussion altogether, hah.

relapse98

However, there are times when family issues or work keeps you from attending lodge.

There are, and for those emergencies, I'll let it slide.

But we have some appointed officers that family and work life have prevented them from showing up to 75% of our stated and called meetings. They have other priorities in life, that's fine, I just hope they aren't appointed again next year. Isn't fair to them to put them in such a place that they aren't able to come to meetings and it isn't fair to other brothers that might want to step into the line.

rpbrown

Premium Member
There are, and for those emergencies, I'll let it slide.

But we have some appointed officers that family and work life have prevented them from showing up to 75% of our stated and called meetings. They have other priorities in life, that's fine, I just hope they aren't appointed again next year. Isn't fair to them to put them in such a place that they aren't able to come to meetings and it isn't fair to other brothers that might want to step into the line.

That is where we agree. If they are missing that much time, then yes, they need to step down. Our JD and our Marshall have both done that for next years line.

dfreybur

Premium Member
For a random member they pretty much attend based on how much they value the fellowship - I attend Stated meetings and don't care that they are about paying the bills because I put a high value on the fellowship. Then I do Masonic Education talks because I want Stated meetings to be about more than just the fellowship.

For an officer they pretty much attend based on how dedicated the are to the lodge. Pay attention to how often an officer attends and if he progresses through the line. There is a definite correlation unless a lodge is desperate for line officers.

We're supposed to put church, work and family ahead of lodge. When joining the line we're supposed to arrange our lives so lodge fits. For some officers it takes a few years to make those arrangements and they end up in the east. For other officers they can't manage it and they don't.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I told my mentor that as soon as I was raised an MM I was going to apply to the York Rite. He told me that if I joined the York Rite and neglected my blue lodge that he would kick my rear end. I assured that I will not do this and that I will remember where I come from.