My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Becoming worshipful master of your lodge

jermy Bell

I still see that as a bad idea. From what I see, we want to sell our temples, lodges, consolidate 10 lodges into one, so you don't have to worry about nothing anymore. I see in maybe 20 years, or less that we will meet on a forum like this, and traditional freemasonry with its rituals will be gone like the dodo bird.

Bloke

Premium Member
I was thinking of an Entity or Corporation where the WM, IPM and Three elected Members of the Lodge run the building. From there, the Lodge would pay a nominal fee to rent from the Entity. The "Entity" would then be free to make investments for the building over the long term without fear of the Lodge Membership voting to spend or raid those funds.
Keep the WM out of it. Maybe an IPM - but most of our active building guys were MMs... you don't need dudes who know ritual, You need men who know how to run a commercial enterprise. Turn over and retirements in the board should be as per any other Company or NFP. Our best recent pickup in the last two years was appointed when a FC. The only thing I would have is 75% of the membership of the Committee (or Board) running the building should be Freemasons who meet in the building. We use 100% and co-opt others - but those others voting rights and are often there just as advisors.. nothing stops that group forming a subcommittee of non-Freemasons - they could be wives for instance.. In another (sophisticated and very commercial) Company I am involved in (non-masonic) we have a shadow youth board... there are lots of ways to approach this...

...The "Entity" would then be free to make investments for the building over the long term without fear of the Lodge Membership voting to spend or raid those funds.
A great idea. Another reason why a WM should not be on the Board..

Pointwithinacircle3

I still see that as a bad idea. From what I see, we want to sell our temples, lodges, consolidate 10 lodges into one, so you don't have to worry about nothing anymore. I see in maybe 20 years, or less that we will meet on a forum like this, and traditional freemasonry with its rituals will be gone like the dodo bird.
It seems to me that the rituals serve a purpose that cannot be accomplished by an Internet forum.

jermy Bell

True, but when you can no longer afford dues that are the same price as a landrover payment, and you can't get new members, and everyone trying to sell off their lodge, so they don't have to maintain them, and, and, everything is being on line, I see it inevitable.

Pointwithinacircle3

True, but when you can no longer afford dues that are the same price as a landrover payment, and you can't get new members, and everyone trying to sell off their lodge, so they don't have to maintain them, and, and, everything is being on line, I see it inevitable.
What do you believe the work of the Lodge to be? How can this work be accomplished on an Internet forum?

jermy Bell

I would ask those who are trying to abolish freemasonry from within. The ones who want to raise dues so high no one but a select few can afford. Ask the ones who are desperately trying to sell off our temples and lodges. These are the so called brothers who hold the answers and the future of our craft in their selfish hands. the rituals and obligations are loosing their purpose and meaning. They have become motions and empty words to many anymore, in the past couple of years I see it more and more.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I would ask those who are trying to abolish freemasonry from within. The ones who want to raise dues so high no one but a select few can afford. Ask the ones who are desperately trying to sell off our temples and lodges. These are the so called brothers who hold the answers and the future of our craft in their selfish hands. the rituals and obligations are loosing their purpose and meaning. They have become motions and empty words to many anymore, in the past couple of years I see it more and more.
I would be gentler in my critique. As a rule, we have the same goals for Freemasonry. We often have different methods of getting to those goals. Ad hominem arguments, labeling those who disagree as “so called brothers” and selfish, does not advance us toward the goals, and certainly not toward the brotherhood that is thought to be missing.

Pointwithinacircle3

Brother, I do not wish to seem argumentative, but you did not answer my question. I asked the question for a specific reason. Without the knowledge of what you are searching for no reply I can make will be of much use. I believe it was Seneca who said “Unless one knows to what port one is sailing no wind is favorable”.

A more modern poet put it this way:

Some ships sail east, and some sail west
On the self same wind that blows
Tis the set of the sail, and not the gale
That determines which way she goes

It took me many years to discover that I could set my sail against the winds which batter Freemasonry. Sailing against the wind takes more skill and effort than running with the wind. But it does allow me to reach any destination I choose. Hence my question: What work do you wish to accomplish?

Last edited:

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Where are you a member that costs 700 a year?

As a counter point: My Grand Lodge dues in the 1800's were 22 a year. That translates to 450 a year if you calculate inflation. As of right now, my dues are 65 a year to Grand Lodge and another 105 to my Lodge for a total of 170~

The curve is in my favor ... for now.