Being Challenged

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by mrpierce17, Jan 9, 2015.

1. BroBook

BroBook Premium Member

I was told not to let anyone ride him, so I left him at home.

Warrior1256 and mrpierce17 like this.
  2. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Lol....good one.

3. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

No one has the authority to legally question a brother outside of lodge unless it is the grand lodge. If someone wants to wear anything masonic, that is not anyone's else business. You can't stop clandestine brothers from doing so, you sure shouldn't be able to stop a real brother. Thankfully, this is not practiced in my jurisdiction so I don't worry about it.

MBC, mrpierce17 and Bill Lins like this.
  4. Peck1988

Peck1988 Registered User

Hello brethren

My name is Scott, I am a MM from the province of Cheshire, An (my opinion) is I think now and again we should (friendly) challenge any men or women, I've personally seen people saying they are masons to try get work for free or cheap from brothers they know are masons which is not practised or encouraged in my province or any for that matter in Britain, but on seeing this and knowing they wasn't, I challenged him which he gave a blank look then I out right asked them to which he admitted he was not, he tried to use are motto of brotherly love for his self gain but was ousted, the only reason someone would wear let's say a Masonic ring who is not is only after 1 thing self gain, which if he try's to a person who is anti Masonic then that gives them the fuel they need to burn is.

MBC, mrpierce17 and Warrior1256 like this.
  5. MRichard

That is another matter. The challenges I have a problem with involve physical force and taking another man's property which is against the law (assault & theft) and rather unmasonic.

I wouldn't have a problem with calling out a fraud, cowan, or whatever.

6. Peck1988

Peck1988 Registered User

Yes I agree with you.

7. anthonybeley

anthonybeley Registered User

on my opinion we don't need to challenge because with just one friendly grip we could know another in the dark as well as in the light... with all my travels i've met a lot of brothers from different jurisdictions and none challenged me because of that token

8. Peck1988

Peck1988 Registered User

In this day and age with the Internet a lot of are secrets are now public so even the grip is known, but there's little sayings and depending on your district or province only a mason would pick up on.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. anthonybeley

anthonybeley Registered User

i agree with the power of the internet my brother but only a mason would know how to use it

Peck1988 likes this.
  10. Warrior1256

Agreed, and this was my point in replying to this thread. If someone were to try to take my personal property from me they would have a real problem. Has anyone else been in this situation or know someone who was?

Levelhead and Peck1988 like this.
  11. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Depending on the jurisdiction

12. MRichard

Please elaborate. What part depends on the jurisdiction?

13. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

The authority to question.

14. Warrior1256

This is the way that I see it.

15. Warrior1256

Exactly!

Travelling Man91 likes this.
  16. Cootr68

Cootr68 Registered User

I am an over the road truck driver. I have a S&C on both sides of my truck and 1 one the back of the trailer. I have interacted with many security guards and guys loading /unloading me say are you a mason. It then usually just gets to small talk about offices held, involvement in SR and YR and see that guy there he's a mason also. Have even been asked if I were going to be in town for the night as it was lodge night and they would come and pick me up if I wanted to go. I have never been challenged publicly though.

dfreybur and CLewey44 like this.
  17. Warrior1256

This is good, the way that these interactions should be.

Cootr68 and CLewey44 like this.
  18. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

I think there are situations where people are just being jerks (not always, some are just being friendly), asking "where you come from?" or something to that degree. If a person asks me about a ring, lapel or something, I tell them what it is but I think if the asker is being rhetorical and/or rude, then he's the one with the problem, not the brother who may just walk away or cut the conversation short. Maybe the asker is the PM of his lodge and knows everything about Masonry but he doesn't have the right to stop people in the street and shake another brother down based on what ring or auto decal he has. I've never read anywhere that says you should 'challenge' someone nor have I ever read that I need to provide proof of my fraternal ties to anyone that asks me outside of a lawfully constituted lodge. Especially if they are a stranger to me. I have just as much a right to know if they are MM or not as they do to me.

You bring up good points and interesting conversation...fortunately, I've never been 'challenged' on the street. If someone asked me to give them a grip or where am I traveling etc., I would certainly not oblige.

Warrior1256 and mrpierce17 like this.
  19. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

And that may get a man KO'd lol...If I don't know him to be as such, then he's just another guy as far as I'm concerned.

Cootr68 and Warrior1256 like this.
  20. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

I agree. If someone wants to wear their deceased father's Masonic ring, so be it. It's not a federal law otherwise. I don't like it or agree with it, but it is what it is. Can someone question you? Sure, but no need to be rude about it.

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry