My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Being Challenged

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
If you don't want anyone to ask questions I suggest that you not wear items that particularly/purposely attract attention, my opinion, if I was not reasonably sure a person was a mason I would not invite him or them to lodge.

No one has the authority to legally question a brother outside of lodge unless it is the grand lodge. If someone wants to wear anything masonic, that is not anyone's else business. You can't stop clandestine brothers from doing so, you sure shouldn't be able to stop a real brother. Thankfully, this is not practiced in my jurisdiction so I don't worry about it.

Peck1988

Hello brethren

My name is Scott, I am a MM from the province of Cheshire, An (my opinion) is I think now and again we should (friendly) challenge any men or women, I've personally seen people saying they are masons to try get work for free or cheap from brothers they know are masons which is not practised or encouraged in my province or any for that matter in Britain, but on seeing this and knowing they wasn't, I challenged him which he gave a blank look then I out right asked them to which he admitted he was not, he tried to use are motto of brotherly love for his self gain but was ousted, the only reason someone would wear let's say a Masonic ring who is not is only after 1 thing self gain, which if he try's to a person who is anti Masonic then that gives them the fuel they need to burn is.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Hello brethren

My name is Scott, I am a MM from the province of Cheshire, An (my opinion) is I think now and again we should (friendly) challenge any men or women, I've personally seen people saying they are masons to try get work for free or cheap from brothers they know are masons which is not practised or encouraged in my province or any for that matter in Britain, but on seeing this and knowing they wasn't, I challenged him which he gave a blank look then I out right asked them to which he admitted he was not, he tried to use are motto of brotherly love for his self gain but was ousted, the only reason someone would wear let's say a Masonic ring who is not is only after 1 thing self gain, which if he try's to a person who is anti Masonic then that gives them the fuel they need to burn is.

That is another matter. The challenges I have a problem with involve physical force and taking another man's property which is against the law (assault & theft) and rather unmasonic.

I wouldn't have a problem with calling out a fraud, cowan, or whatever.

Peck1988

That is another matter. The challenges I have a problem with involve physical force and taking another man's property which is against the law (assault & theft) and rather unmasonic.

I wouldn't have a problem with calling out a fraud, cowan, or whatever.

Yes I agree with you.

anthonybeley

on my opinion we don't need to challenge because with just one friendly grip we could know another in the dark as well as in the light... with all my travels i've met a lot of brothers from different jurisdictions and none challenged me because of that token

Peck1988

on my opinion we don't need to challenge because with just one friendly grip we could know another in the dark as well as in the light... with all my travels i've met a lot of brothers from different jurisdictions and none challenged me because of that token

In this day and age with the Internet a lot of are secrets are now public so even the grip is known, but there's little sayings and depending on your district or province only a mason would pick up on.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The challenges I have a problem with involve physical force and taking another man's property which is against the law (assault & theft) and rather unmasonic.
Agreed, and this was my point in replying to this thread. If someone were to try to take my personal property from me they would have a real problem. Has anyone else been in this situation or know someone who was?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
No one has the authority to legally question a brother outside of lodge unless it is the grand lodge. If someone wants to wear anything masonic, that is not anyone's else business. You can't stop clandestine brothers from doing so, you sure shouldn't be able to stop a real brother. Thankfully, this is not practiced in my jurisdiction so I don't worry about it.
Depending on the jurisdiction

Cootr68

I am an over the road truck driver. I have a S&C on both sides of my truck and 1 one the back of the trailer. I have interacted with many security guards and guys loading /unloading me say are you a mason. It then usually just gets to small talk about offices held, involvement in SR and YR and see that guy there he's a mason also. Have even been asked if I were going to be in town for the night as it was lodge night and they would come and pick me up if I wanted to go. I have never been challenged publicly though.

CLewey44

I have often seen brothers on this forum speaking of being challenged whenever a brother seeing them wearing the masonic S&C ask a question on the subject of masonry . I have news for you brothers ,that is not being challenged , that is simply one man trying to discreetly see if another is the same as he . I wouldn't consider it a challenge if I was walking around a mall wearing a Miami Heat jersey and a stranger stop me and ask if I knew the score of the game last night , he probably assumed I was a fan and was not trying to test my allegiance , now this same man trying to tell me I shouldn't wear my jersey is his opinion , the same man trying to remove the Jersey of my person is now challenging my manhood I guess the point I'm trying to make is being asked a question is not being challenged it's someone trying to be informed on who you are , one thinking another's masonry is less or inferior to another when both taking the same obligation to the same God is a being challenged , I guess the SW of every legally constituted Lodge feels challenged after every stated meeting I hope this has helped someone today Often, Never ,& ,Willing to be tried again Not Challenged ....Sincerely & Fraternally
Bro.Pierce

I think there are situations where people are just being jerks (not always, some are just being friendly), asking "where you come from?" or something to that degree. If a person asks me about a ring, lapel or something, I tell them what it is but I think if the asker is being rhetorical and/or rude, then he's the one with the problem, not the brother who may just walk away or cut the conversation short. Maybe the asker is the PM of his lodge and knows everything about Masonry but he doesn't have the right to stop people in the street and shake another brother down based on what ring or auto decal he has. I've never read anywhere that says you should 'challenge' someone nor have I ever read that I need to provide proof of my fraternal ties to anyone that asks me outside of a lawfully constituted lodge. Especially if they are a stranger to me. I have just as much a right to know if they are MM or not as they do to me.

You bring up good points and interesting conversation...fortunately, I've never been 'challenged' on the street. If someone asked me to give them a grip or where am I traveling etc., I would certainly not oblige.

CLewey44

In these forums and others I have heard of these on the street "challenges" getting to the point that the challenging person states that they will confiscate (i.e. steal) your Masonic ring, pin, etc., if they are not satisfied that you are a Mason.

And that may get a man KO'd lol...If I don't know him to be as such, then he's just another guy as far as I'm concerned.

CLewey44

I agree. If someone wants to wear their deceased father's Masonic ring, so be it. It's not a federal law otherwise. I don't like it or agree with it, but it is what it is. Can someone question you? Sure, but no need to be rude about it.