My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burnt One, Looking for Clearity

Brother Will

Thanks for all the help brothers...

I read an article saying that Mainstream Scottish rite recognizes Prince Hall Scottish Rite in all states...... Why the separation still? And is Ph apart of SR just under a different jurisdiction?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
The Scottish Rite(SR) is a seperate body. You must be a 3° MM in order to join the SR. The SR only works the 4-33°. And yes the Supreme Council of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern Jurisdiction USA(SR, SJ) does in fact recognize its PHA equivalent. The Northen Jurisdiction is also recognized by the Southern and vice versa and they both recognize the others PHA equivilents.

The above mentioned Supreme Councils are National Bodies holding power only over the SR bodies that are broke in to Orients(states) and Valleys(think like counties or regions in a state), however the members of the SR are composed of members of said states GL and the members loyalty is to the GL first as you must be in good standing with your GL in order to join the SR. Even Illustrious Soverign Grand Commander Seale(head of the SR, SJ) must follow the rules of his home GL and is technically subordinate to his GLs Grand Master. SO even though the SR recognizes PHA SR, if are from say Alabama whose GL does not recognize the MWPHGLoAL then you cant attend the PHA SR meetings and vice versa....does this make sense?
I know it can be hard to follow

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
the members of the SR are composed of members of said states GL and the members loyalty is to the GL first as you must be in good standing with your GL in order to join the SR.
Absolutely! Just today I received the periodical covering the Valleys and AASR Clubs in Kentucky. In it the Secretary / Registrar of the Valley of Louisville, David Carter, PGM, 33rd Degree, plainly states, as he has on more than one occasion, that as Scottish Rite Masons our first and foremost priority is to our Blue Lodge.
Even Illustrious Soverign Grand Commander Seale(head of the SR, SJ) must follow the rules of his home GL and is technically subordinate to his GLs Grand Master.
Also agree! Whenever the national head of the AASR or the national leaders of any of the three bodies that make up the York Rite appear with the Grand Master of a state they show deference to the Grand Master.

Bloke

Premium Member
.... Even Illustrious Soverign Grand Commander Seale(head of the SR, SJ) must follow the rules of his home GL and is technically subordinate to his GLs Grand Master. ..

Nothing technical about it. He is. Brother Seale should also comply with requests and directions a Master presiding in the Craft gives him in that craft lodge. Technically, practically and actually a WM "outranks" him in his own lodge . I make the point to eternal readers who think SR is a supreme body over all Freemasons. It's not. You can be Grand Master without having ever having anything to do with SR and if a Craft Sec or bunch of MMs excluded Grand Commander from the Craft, they can. By virtue of that exclusion, he's not longer Grand Commander. (A Grand Master once excluded a Shrine Potentate.. creates a real mess)

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Technically, practically and actually a WM "outranks" him in his own lodge .
Very true!
I make the point to eternal readers who think SR is a supreme body over all Freemasons. It's not.
Also true! AASR is an appendent body of Freemasonry.
You can be Grand Master without having ever having anything to do with SR and if a Craft Sec or bunch of MMs excluded Grand Commander from the Craft, they can. By virtue of that exclusion, he's not longer Grand Commander.
True, since he has to be a Master Mason in good standing in his Blue Lodge in order to belong to the organization that he is the Grand Commander of.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Nothing technical about it. He is. Brother Seale should also comply with requests and directions a Master presiding in the Craft gives him in that craft lodge. Technically, practically and actually a WM "outranks" him in his own lodge . I make the point to eternal readers who think SR is a supreme body over all Freemasons. It's not. You can be Grand Master without having ever having anything to do with SR and if a Craft Sec or bunch of MMs excluded Grand Commander from the Craft, they can. By virtue of that exclusion, he's not longer Grand Commander. (A Grand Master once excluded a Shrine Potentate.. creates a real mess)
Correct!

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Yep. But in some jurisdiction, conformity is required and deviation even in pronunciations will get your ashlar kicked.
our cipher has words in the back with how they are to be said. You said Divested? (Die-vested)

no! It is Duh-vested!

I like messing with my ritual guy though.

Say superfeces and eh-feces instead of superfi(sh)ies and ephesus and he goes crazy.

annddd if I really want to screw with him, I suffer from a trifling defect during rehearsal.

Bloke

Premium Member
our cipher has words in the back with how they are to be said. You said Divested? (Die-vested)

no! It is Duh-vested!

I like messing with my ritual guy though.

Say superfeces and eh-feces instead of superfi(sh)ies and ephesus and he goes crazy.

annddd if I really want to screw with him, I suffer from a trifling defect during rehearsal.

Hehehe... we once had a 3 min conversation on how to say "command". As a mentor I recommend http://howjsay.com/ it's much better to listen than read a pronunciation.

I'm the "ritual guy" and train all in two lodges. Slightly related: "Worshipful mother" "sacred suppository" and similar are amusing the first time you hear them but they get old very quickly...
But if you use them during rehearsal, they can pop out more easily in lodge.. using them and you've just trained yourself to make a mistake. Just like when you use serious but inaccurate ritual in Lodge, your training others to make mistakes.... as I hope at rehearsal "remembers, the kids are always listening to you".

Brother Will

Could take months....but just curious if you arent yet a member why is your handle "brother will"?

Oh wow, but my handle is brother Will because as stated in my initial post, I joined a Scottish Rite lodge a year ago and recently found out that the lodge is a bogus lodge (from my understanding), so I was trying to get a petition for PHA to start my journey the right way.