My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catholic church

andrew626

Im born a catholic and I did not know they aren't fond with freemasonry.I got shunned ay a local church ive been going to for years.what should i do?

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro Darren

Premium Member
I am faced with similar issues. The thing that I did was to look at the history (not myth) behind why the church forbids its members to even talk with masons.

Freemason for dummies is an awesome book that delves into the history of issue.
On a side note, I refused to read the pages on the degrees and rituals as I want to experience these first hand with out spoilers.

LittleHunter

I am perfectly comfortable being a Catholic and a Freemason. First, I simply don't care about the Vatican's rules. Millions of Catholics practice birth control, get married in other churches, get re-married after divorce without getting an annulment and still go to mass and receive comunion.

Second, I don't talk to other Catholics at my church. They don't know I'm a Mason and it's none of their business.

I'm an American. I practice freedom. I don't care about rules made by old closet queens in Italy. My faith in Christ, the Blessed Mother And the saints is what being a Catholic means to me. The good hard-working clergy who are chafing under the Vatican's yoke are the religious leaders I respect. After what went down in the middle ages the Vatican simply has no moral authority IMO.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro Darren

Premium Member
I am not catholic but here in Australia the church goes out of its way to accuse the fraternity as being an occult. They teach us that with each degree comes further curses on us and our family. There is always a reason for everything and the church 's history is not as perfect as they would like.

I'm not a mason yet, but from what I have learnt thus far, the scare tactics of the church and its teaching will not detour my walk.

To keep the peace, I too will refrain from telling the church when I become one.

widows son

Premium Member
I believe one of the reasons is because Freemasonry welcomes a man of any faith as long as he is in good standing. With that, I think it's fair to day that Freemasonry teaches that any man can discover God in his own way and on his own terms. The church however feels that it is the only way to God and heaven. I greatly disagree with the church.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I have found (through my own investigations and well versed Catholics) that the Church goes out of its way to take a non decisive stance towards Freemasonry. Meaning, each Papal official has chosen his own stance and edict towards the fraternity. The Church has from year to year at times been either pro or con. This is due to the fact that all decisions by the Church are directly tied to Biblical study or research, thus causing no definite official or permanent stance.

A lot of opinion is reflected to the individual Diocese interpretation. For example, the Fort Worth Diocese is against membership while the Dallas Diocese is unbiased.

Just my 2 Cents! Take it or leave it.

Last edited:

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
A lot of opinion is reflected to the individual Diocese interpretation. For example, the Fort Worth Diocese is against membership while the Dallas Diocese is against it.

Just my 2 Cents! Take it or leave it.

Do you mean that one is against it and the other is no?

S&F,
-Bro Vick

brother josh

FREEMASON = FREE MAN my friend GOD grants you liberty not mankind with his tyrannical agenda

Freemason Connect Mobile

jmflores

I am also a Catholic but with my own reasoning I was able to break down all of the arguments that the Vatican has against Freemasonry through logic alone. I am looking forward to joining this grand fraternity.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Courtney Brundege

Hello Brother,

I am also Catholic and have experienced the rub you speak of. Hang in there and you might consider trying another Diocese. When I went to a different Diocese I was welcomed with open arms. I believe being a Mason has made me a better Catholic. I'm hopeful you will find the same!

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
Im born a catholic and I did not know they aren't fond with freemasonry.I got shunned ay a local church ive been going to for years.what should i do?

Andrew,

There are several Catholic families active in Pasadena 272 where you've had contact. On the one hand you can go with the flow of your local church and ask to withdraw. On the other hand you can ask the Pasadena folks which church they attend and switch there. As they have been openly active for generations their church clearly does not have an issue with it.

widows son

Premium Member
I have come across Catholics including my family that have called me a satanist, a worshiper of idols and many more, just because I'm a Mason. I have also met Catholics, my family included, who are warm and welcoming and respect all people as Gods children.

As many brethren have stated, there are many dioceses, choose the one that is right for you.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Roman Catholicism (and at least some other "high" churches, like the "Eastern" Orthodox) has a doctrine that is little known among outsiders. While these churches do stress obedience to the hierarchy and impose sanctions for disobedience to the hierarchy, they also admit that individual conscience can validly (if not always "licitly", to use a term of the Latins) lead someone to act in disagreement with the hierarchy. However, one must be careful that one is actually acting from conscience and not merely rationalizing. In addition, if the hierarchy imposes sanctions, one needs to remember that they are also likely to be acting in good conscience, perhaps on incomplete or erroneous information, but still in good conscience. There is a doctrine known as "invincible ignorance", which is also little-known among many Protestant and allied groups. That is to say, it is possible to be wrong without being damned for it. Thus, someone could be "excommuncted" or "anathemized" and still saved, depending on that person's individual circumstances. Excommunication is the term favored by the Latins, as befits their generally legalistic approach. The East, on the other hand, prefers "anathemized", which is the term actually used by the early Church. "Anathema" literally means "offered over" or "offered up". That is, the Church says "We can't deal with you, so we're leaving you to God to do with as He pleases (but we think He won't like you, either)." However, in the old Tradition, the Church does not arrogate the privilege to actually pronounce damnation on its own authority.

That being said, many modern Christians interprete "excommunicate" or "anathemize" as being consigned to hell on the authority claimed by a Church.

In short, yes, Rome may pronounce against Freemasonry, but there is still a safety valve, and hierarchs will argue vehemently against that valve. Doesn't make it any easier for Roman Catholics when rubber meets the road.

jmflores

The only action the Church can impose on the lay faithful who is involved in Freemasonry is an inderdict, no longer is it excommunication at least not in the U.S. Also the Diocese or Archdiocese may require that the person make a profession of faith or some form of penance to be able to receive Holy Communion. In other countries where the Church 'feels' that Freemasonry is anti-Catholic and or ani-clerical, there exists the full penalty of excommunication.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Freemasonry mobile app

quophiboamah

The church fears freemasonry to be its greatest competition wen it comes to brotherhood... because they wish their knights marshallan and st. johns wer as great as freemasonry

Freemason Connect Mobile

Ashley623

So I am new here but not to the whole freemasonry subject and definitely not new to religion and my views on this matter, for myself I had not ever been given the opportunity to be involved in any religion and this is because my mother raised me and through this came alot of unanswered questions for me. Not just about God but of life itself, now I'm not sure about anyone else but since I was very young I tried so hard to believe in...something, and out of that were my doubts and feelings of lies around me and everything I heard. I want answers and I think that I won't ever get those answers. Once I was older, 14 or so, I started to have faith in Christianity but the more I read deeper into the Bible, the more I was confused, which made me stop and a few years ago I just decided that I have no idea what is reality and what is just propaganda to have everyone have "something" to believe in.....I started reading deep into things like the Catholic church and the people who believe and I am also trying to figure out this whole thing about the Illuminati, which people think I'm crazy, like my mother. But I know there is something that I have always been digging into and searching for and I want to find it and learn to expand my mind and soul. So, with that being said, anyone have some suggestions???

<ASHLEY623>

brother josh

Your on the right path the search for knowledge is a life long journey I find peace and truth threw the Christian doctrines but also find wisdom in other sects and religions threw the liberal arts and sciences we find certain patterns that gives man kind assurance of a creator that Divine Providence that one day we all hope to meet peace in your travels and remember your a free person u choose and have the ability to seek knowledge keep searching

Freemason Connect Mobile