My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenges on the street

dfreybur

Premium Member
And there are some PH lodges that dont recognize some other PH lodges? Bit confusing!

Clandestine jurisdictions often include the words "Prince Hall" in their names. That's the confusing part.

If I made my own cars and called them "Ford St James Company" I'd get sued by "Ford Motor Company" over trademark infringement but "Prince Hall" is a person's name so it can't be trademarked. Plus Ford has a lot more money to throw lawyers at me than all of the regular Prince Hall regular jurisdictions in the world.

tldubb

Premium Member
I've been on the sight not that long but you sound like a person who is still amongst the profane. Because some of the things that come out your mouth/post "brother" Imeeks357 are really amazing and could only be spoken from someone who is truly...pretending to be a brother.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Why would phs wait a whole year to raise there brothers? I think that's too long

Pha I ment

Because Prince Hall Masonry raises Worthy and Well Qualified Master Masons not microwave brothers I have heard stories of our ancient brethren waiting seven years to be entered passed and raised that would make us all microwave brothers these rules and regulations can differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction it's a Minimum of 120 days in Florida

dfreybur

Premium Member
"Microwave brothers". Instant classic! Crude humor that explains vividly through poetic imagery.

I chose to take multiple months between my degrees knowing most of it are in for life. It was a lesson in patience for me. I have a lot of problems learning patience so I deliberately stretch myself on the issue at times.

In my mother jurisdiction the degree ends with telling the new brother he will need to learn a proficiency before proceeding to his next degree. For each degree I waited until there was another brother taking that degree and I presented my proficiencies those degree nights to show the new brother what the proficiency involved. Then I asked for my next degree to be scheduled.

Inside I was inpatient and chomping at the bit the whole time. When you manage to reign yourself in and "rush slowly", others think that's patience.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
"Microwave brothers". Instant classic! Crude humor that explains vividly through poetic imagery.

I chose to take multiple months between my degrees knowing most of it are in for life. It was a lesson in patience for me. I have a lot of problems learning patience so I deliberately stretch myself on the issue at times.

In my mother jurisdiction the degree ends with telling the new brother he will need to learn a proficiency before proceeding to his next degree. For each degree I waited until there was another brother taking that degree and I presented my proficiencies those degree nights to show the new brother what the proficiency involved. Then I asked for my next degree to be scheduled.

Inside I was inpatient and chomping at the bit the whole time. When you manage to reign yourself in and "rush slowly", others think that's patience.
Very good self discipline.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I should have been in on this discussion. Just had a conversation with a guy that stated the same thing. "You don't need to prove a guy is a mason on the streets."

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I should have been in on this discussion. Just had a conversation with a guy that stated the same thing. "You don't need to prove a guy is a mason on the streets."
I agree there is no such need. Even if he were seeking treatment/benefit as a brother, I would not rely upon unofficial challenge questions, but would contact his Grand Lodge to verify his standing.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I agree there is no such need. Even if he were seeking treatment/benefit as a brother, I would not rely upon unofficial challenge questions, but would contact his Grand Lodge to verify his standing.

That is true, that's why I say verifying membership is important, maybe not for small talk, but any thing else yes.

BroBook

Premium Member
This makes no sense. So regular lodges in florida (for some stupid reason) don't recognize PH.

And there are some PH lodges that dont recognize some other PH lodges?

Bit confusing!
For some stupid reason regular lodges in Florida don't recognize prince hall, what may I ask what is that stupid reason?

Levelhead

Premium Member
Well im from fl and say a few reasons.

Before i start any brother who has been raised in the same manner as me is a brother to me no matter or what ethnic group or color of their skin.

With that said. Here are a couple reasons.

-The "challenges on the street"
-Being stripped of your "light" if you cant prove yourself, or answer upmanning questions.
-BRANDING. Yes i said BRANDING!! I know 2 prince hall members that have brands. One of a S&C and the other from the barrel if a .38 revolver. All done in their lodge as part of "their lodges" ritual.
-difference in ritual. Esoteric and floor work.

The only way we can all try each other is to be somewhat on the same page "literally"

If both grand lodges came together and had one UNIVERSAL FLORIDA monitor, floor work and cetachism book then it would be much easier to be understood from both sides.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Well im from fl and say a few reasons.

Before i start any brother who has been raised in the same manner as me is a brother to me no matter or what ethnic group or color of their skin.

With that said. Here are a couple reasons.

-The "challenges on the street"
-Being stripped of your "light" if you cant prove yourself, or answer upmanning questions.
-BRANDING. Yes i said BRANDING!! I know 2 prince hall members that have brands. One of a S&C and the other from the barrel if a .38 revolver. All done in their lodge as part of "their lodges" ritual.
-difference in ritual. Esoteric and floor work.

The only way we can all try each other is to be somewhat on the same page "literally"

If both grand lodges came together and had one UNIVERSAL FLORIDA monitor, floor work and cetachism book then it would be much easier to be understood from both sides.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.
I don't doubt what you say, but question whether these are members of the MW Union GL..of Florida...

Remember, the shooting in the Fellowcraft Club initiation was in a predominantly white State GL. The Jester criminals were members of historically Caucasian GLs. I attended an MM agree in the mountains of a southern GL. I noticed that the SW column wasn't raised in the second section of the MM degree. After watching the antics, I realized why. Extremes aren't limited to historically black GLs.

I also note that in UGLE I can name eleven different rituals (some will indicate more). My own province--the oldest Masonic province-- has differing rituals. We have no issue determining who is a Mason.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
That is true, that's why I say verifying membership is important, maybe not for small talk, but any thing else yes.
And to belabor the necessity of this, I have seen fakes over the years. There was one fellow who tried to get in saying I could vouch for him.....till it turned out I was there. In a one day class, a Mason who had been refused advancement tried to sneak in to the degrees.

BroBook

Premium Member
I too am from Florida I was entered, passéd and raised, (1984) in a lodge working under the protection of the MWPHGL of Florida, which broke off from the MWUGL of Florida in about 1910, after finding this site ( thanks masons of Texas ) I came to a greater understanding of what it means to be regular, so I went through a process known as healing in Prince hall lingo. As for street challenges my instructor taught me to never challenge anyone, he also insisted that I learn the written work word for word, so I am willing to be tried often. I wear I C&S around my neck almost always visible and from time to people will mention it, some say Prince Hall, I say yes. Some what's that, I say lil something I found in a grave looking for the owner can't find him, what you know about this. That ends it no harm no foul. Branding I have heard of but never seen we call that hazing and it's a masonic offense that will get you expelled. Ritual differences really, I prepared first in my ...,..and then in a ......next...., since coming to this forum I discovered that we ( brothers) are different and alike. I will stop now, rules of order.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The local pipe band had a drum teacher (non-Mason) who was pushing everyone to extremes, trying to make a national competition level crew out of some hobbyists. One of the long-time pipers finally blew up and went off on him. The teacher stormed out belittling Masonry in general and saying how he expected more from such men...
The fact is we are all human, with human frailties. We are not, nor shall we ever be, perfect. People (including ourselves) seem to forget that at times.
Glen, the Asst. Sec. of my English lodge listed nearly fifty variations once, and those just in UGLE. Of course, most have been dormant for decades, but still.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Glen, the Asst. Sec. of my English lodge listed nearly fifty variations once, and those just in UGLE. Of course, most have been dormant for decades, but still.

Right. I was thinking of actively worked. We just lost a Time Immemorial lodge in Cheshire that had its own ritual. Sad.