My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Work?

owls84

Premium Member
Would you be intrested in more of a role in Masonry being a larger Charitable Organization? Such as working at homeless shelters, lending a hand helping elderly keep a house up, adopt a family at Christmas.

I guess I am just wondering what else besides scholarships do we do? I know we do a little here and there but if you really think about it could we not play a little bigger part in a cause and get a bigger reward both publicly and personally, if that makes sense?

Wingnut

Premium Member
My usual answer to these type questions is: To what end do you want to do more charity? We are not a charity organziation but we, as a group, are charitable. If its to get the Masonry in the public eye Im for it. If its just to do charity, not so much. Our job, as a blue lodge, is to make Master Masons. We have to work within our cable tows and if we get too bogged down doing charity work we lose site of our primary goal.

just my thoughts...

owls84

Premium Member
Wow, I could have swore that Charity was our most important tenet in the EA. Well I guess I just needed to look into this a little more.

IRS definition of 501(c)(10).

The Senate Committee on Finance explained the purpose of IRC 501(c)(10) as follows:
[A] new category of exemption for fraternal beneficiary associations is set forth which applies to fraternal organizations operating under the lodge system where the fraternal activities are exclusively religious, charitable, or educational in nature and no insurance is provided for the members. The committee believes that it is appropriate to provide a separate exempt category for those fraternal beneficiary associations (such as the Masons) which do not provide insurance for their members. This more properly describes the different types of fraternal associations. S. Rep. No. 552, 91st Cong., 1st Sess. 72 (1969).
Taken from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicf04.pdf

HKTidwell

Premium Member
First I think we are doing huge things with the hospitals, however I think that one of the things we need to remember is our neighbors. If we are not taking care of our neighbors then are we really better people? We need to find ways to work in our cities, towns, counties and/or parishes. Yes, we have an obligation to help make each other better, take care of each other, but we must never forget that it is our interaction with others that most see and remember. IMHO

Wingnut

Premium Member
Wow, I could have swore that Charity was our most important tenet in the EA. Well I guess I just needed to look into this a little more.

As individuals, not as an organization. In fact Blue Lodge is NOT a 501(c)(3) and is the reason that Grand Lodge has set up a charitable organization to funnel tax deductible donations through. GL Law does lay out how to become one however...

Art. 339a. Formation of Texas Non-Profit Corporations. A Lodge may authorize by a vote of a majority of those of its members present at a Stated meeting, the formation by members of a Texas non-profit corporation for the purpose of establishing (including the acquisition of such real property and personal property from the Lodge and such other persons or entities as will be necessary from time to time), supporting and maintaining a museum and library to preserve the Masonic history and knowledge of its Lodge and other Masonic Lodges and bodies in the surrounding area, for historical research in Masonic history in such area, preservation of the archives of that Lodge and other Masonic Lodges and other Masonic bodies in that area, and provide for a museum to exhibit, display, and interpret Masonic history in that area, and applying to the Internal Revenue for a federal income tax exemption under Section 501 (c) (3) (or other applicable sections) of the Internal Revenue Code for such non-profit corporation and applying to the State of Texas for exemption from franchise tax, sales tax, or ad valorem taxes or any other applicable federal, state, or local taxes.
However, any transfer, sale, or conveyance by that Lodge or any other Masonic Lodge or other Masonic body must be in conformance with the statutes of this Grand Lodge, including, without limitation, Article 340, Permission to Acquire, Sell, or Mortgage Lodge Property: Procedure, and such non-profit corporation at its formation must have a valid, legal and enforceable agreement with the Masonic Grand Lodge Library and Museum of Texas that upon the demise of such non-profit corporation that all of its real and personal property shall be transferred to the Masonic Grand Lodge Library and Museum of Texas.
Should the Lodge so approve certain of its members forming such non-profit corporation for such purposes, then the members of the Lodge may apply, in writing, to the Grand Lodge, or if during its vacation, the Grand Master, for written consent to form such non-profit corporation which will then apply for federal income tax exemption under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and such application to the Grand Lodge shall be accompanied by a full and complete plan for the establishment, support, and maintenance of the proposed library and museum, including, without limitation, the proposed Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws, and the application to Internal Revenue Service for its federal income tax exemption and such other documents or information as may be requested. Upon receipt of such application, the Grand Master shall refer such application to the Committee on Civil Law for examination, report or recommendation thereon; such report being made to the Grand Master in vacation or at the next Annual Grand Communication of the Grand Lodge, as the Grand Master may direct.
If such non-profit corporation is formed upon consent being obtained, it shall not be an entity related to that Lodge but shall be a separate corporation of which its members at all times shall be Masons who are under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas. (Revised 2000)

This may change with the new ad valorem exemption btw...

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
masonry teaches charity.. i think if you want to be charitable outside of the craft (in the community), it's best to join a charity.

organizing a group to work at habitat for humanity and other charities from within a lodge has never worked for us though.

what you do learn, however, is if you ask some of the older brothers what they do, you'll usually have to pry out of them that they are huge contributors of their church and work in many other charities (Rotary, etc).

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I've seen a lot of lodge histories that show how the lodges helped institute or provide the space for the first public school in a city 100, 150 years ago.

I'm wondering what they'll be saying 100 years from now.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I think that before we get caught up trying to be more "charitable," we may want to try to become a little more "masonic" first. Time spent donating stuff is great, but if you can't open and close your lodge, confer degrees properly, maintain your membership, etc, then adding a bunch of charitable programs is only going to task those already over-tasked, and do nothing but be counter-productive.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I agree with that for sure. I also think that doing a "lot" of charities might be part of the issue. I think if a lodge had one adopted charity, even just to go once a year and do spring cleaning, painting, etc. it would be good.

I think masonry grows and has grown by being present in the community.

Then again, I'm not sure "growth" needs to be a constant focus either. Taking on "enterprises" leads to the requirement of sustaining them and growing them.

Nate Riley

Premium Member
Good timing. I just got home from dropping off a check with a counselor at my local intermediate school. Another brother and I had the privelege of listening to her tell us about how our money would help by shoes and school supplies for a family of 6 who are in destitue circumstances. I had a little lump in the throat the whole time. We are redirecting money that we gave for Project Graduation to be more beneficial to the less fortunate.

I think was should do all we can as masons and masonic lodges to come to the relief of the less fortunate.

Texas Masons have a history of involvement with our schools and we should continue and increase that involvement. I had another thread going with some good ideas (posted by others).

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i dunno, i begin to wonder about some of these things i read... Sam Houston's journals, etc... same for lamar's. did they do that as a lodge project, as masons, or as charitable men?

i know some things they do as masons, of course, but i'm thinking that a lot of times it's just that the same people were involved. aka, if i accomplish something badass at church, will they say that a mason did it, or the church did it?

you could very well say both, depending on who's telling the history.

hey, i'm just voicing my impressions after reading about the works of masonry, then reading other versions of the same thing. i'm not saying it's a bad thing, but again, just that it's that the same people were involved in the school as the lodge (even though that's a bad example of exactly what I'm talking about).

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
JTM, you just hit on part of the problem The whole "who did it" aspect of what we call "charity" drives me nuts. If you are doing something for someone else, and who gets credit for it is an issue, you are no longer giving, you are trading a donation for a pat on the back/ego boost/time in the spotlight. I think that charity should be done anonymously, and the only place it should show up is on our tax forms, if that.

Once they get this ad valorem tax stuff worked out, and we are REQUIRED to give a certain amount, it is no longer charitable IMO. Just like when my paycheck gets taxed and a portion goes to welfare or other social services. That ain't charity, it is a law.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
it's true.

on a side note: i don't personally have a problem for people doing charity solely for the pat on the back. if that's what it takes for people to get out there, then my charity will be professional back patting... some people still need that.

it's somewhat childish, sure, but if the alternative is "not getting it done," we need to start somewhere.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Wow, I could have swore that Charity was our most important tenet in the EA.

Yes, it is in the manner that you should come to a Brother's relief when he needs it, but that is about it. I don't remember anything in the degree or in the charge that says "go forth and donate.":beer:

I think we may need to define charity as the EA degree does.

Zack

There are other forms of charity besides $, which in my opinion, is sometimes the easiest form.
There is giving of time, which is probably the most precious of commodities. Time with an ailing Brother, helping a widow, sending a get well card, driving a Brother to lodge who otherwise couldn't attend, a kind word or sympathetic ear, etc, etc, etc. This is, at least at the Blue Lodge level,taking care of ones own, which is what I believe it is all about.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Yes, it is in the manner that you should come to a Brother's relief when he needs it, but that is about it. I don't remember anything in the degree or in the charge that says "go forth and donate.":beer:

I think we may need to define charity as the EA degree does.

the explanation of the NE corner includes both brothers and not.

Sirius

In the Masonic sense, charity is love in action with no need for recognition or reward. The act is it's own reward with it's own spiritual implications.

Charity is like prayer, it should be done in private and you shouldn't boast about it.