My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Work?

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
To get back on subject:

Masonry teaches you to be charitable, but is by no means a charity.

Masonry teaches you to be religious, but is by no means a religion.

Masonry teaches you to be active in the affairs of men (politics), but is by no means a political party nor does it have any kind of platform.

Masonry is a fraternity that teaches a good man how to become a better man. I would say that if the leaders of the lodge felt that the best way to do that was to encourage people to go out and work together on say, a house for Habitat for Humanity or run a soup kitchen (call it Hiram's Cafe!), they are more than welcome to do any of those things. This has been successful in the past.

I would also say that if they were able to teach masons to go out and find their own charities that fit them best and to be active in them, then that would be a much better goal. Much in the same way we tell people to find their own religion.

Of course, these are only my views, and not representative of anyone else's and they may not even be "politically correct" in terms of masonry, but whatever.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Good timing. I just got home from dropping off a check with a counselor at my local intermediate school. Another brother and I had the privelege of listening to her tell us about how our money would help by shoes and school supplies for a family of 6 who are in destitue circumstances. I had a little lump in the throat the whole time. We are redirecting money that we gave for Project Graduation to be more beneficial to the less fortunate.

I think was should do all we can as masons and masonic lodges to come to the relief of the less fortunate.

That's great. When we set up our scholarship program, we decided that the kids with the high GPA's were already getting most of the money, so we decided to give more weight to "need" than "grades". It's worked out well for us.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There are other forms of charity besides $, which in my opinion, is sometimes the easiest form.
There is giving of time, which is probably the most precious of commodities. Time with an ailing Brother, helping a widow, sending a get well card, driving a Brother to lodge who otherwise couldn't attend, a kind word or sympathetic ear, etc, etc, etc. This is, at least at the Blue Lodge level,taking care of ones own, which is what I believe it is all about.

SMIB. While we are, as Masons, to practice "relief" or charity, our primary focus is to make good men better. Doing things to help others, whether recognition is received or not, is a part of that.

david918

Premium Member
I still remember when I was about 10 or 11 yrs old one of my uncles got real sick.Every time we would come to visit him at home there were men there sitting in the room with him.I remember asking my dad(a mason) who they were and he told me they were his brothers from lodge.Wow I thought I had a bunch of new uncles.I still remember them performing his grave side service this was about 1961 or 62.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Masonry has a splendid and wonderful tradition of serving our fellow man, both within the Masonic community and without. For example, Masonry was behind the establishment of the first public schools in America. Our appendant and concordant bodies support terrific charities, and the benefits go to individuals, including children, who have no masonic connection at all.

Would it be acceptable for Masonry do to more? Even though masonry is primarily concerned with self-improvement, we have in the past, reached out to our communities and fellow man, in many splendid ways.

Could we be doing more with our youth groups? Could we be serving as mentors to "at-risk youth"? Could we be reaching out to single-parent families, and supporting them? Could we be establishing college scholarships for youth?

Does not all mankind have a claim on our good offices? Or are we to just stay in our lodges, and leave the outside world to its own devices?

We have the working tools, but what are we building?

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children. "
Kahlil Gibran

cemab4y

Premium Member
Masonic lodges and masonically-affiliated groups, donate millions of dollars to charitable and humanitarian activities and causes. But I feel that we can do more. And I mean collectively, as an organization.

Of course, any mason is free to donate his own resources and time, to any charitable cause he wishes. No one denies this, in fact, I wish all of us did more.

But, there is so much more we can do collectively, as an organization, than could ever be done individually.

Each of us labors in the quarry, we all have the working tools. Our lodges are erected to God, and dedicated to the Holy Saints John. We are enjoined to improve ourselves in Masonry. But, how we improve ourselves is matter of the individual conscience, and the individual human spirit.

Many lodges around the USA, have adopted one or more charitable causes, often far removed from traditional Masonic charitable work. For example, a lodge in Kansas City supports Public television, a lodge in Seattle, supports the arts in Seattle. See:

Daylight Lodge-Seattle's Masonic Lodge Of The Arts

Our lodges can:

Open up their lodge halls for humanitarian and non-governmental organizations like Alcoholics Anonymous.

Expand support to Masonic youth groups, DeMolay/Job's Daughters/Rainbow.

Expand support to other youth groups: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.

Expand support to other non-governmental organizations, like the Big Brothers/Big Sisters, both financially, and with "sweat equity".

Open our lodge halls to educational causes, like adult literacy, and provide financial support

Reach out to single-parent families, offering to mentor fatherless and 'at-risk' youth.

And the list goes on, because, sadly there is an ocean of emptiness in our society, many lives that need to be touched, by the callused hands of Masons. Are we all deaf, to the cries of pain in our midst? Are we only listening to the alarms at the door of the lodge, which are caused by our membership?

Are we not all members of the human family? Do we not believe in the Brotherhood of Man, and the Fatherhood of God?

ALL mankind has a claim upon our good offices. How we answer the call, is up to us.

"You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.â€

"Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself.â€

"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need. "

"It is well to give when asked, but it is better to give unasked, through understanding. "

-Kahlil Gibran, Philosopher

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
As masons, we are to practice charity. However, I believe this should be done more on an individual basis rather than as a group. If you want to help children, join the Shriners or Scottish Rite. If you want to help in other areas, join the Lions, American Cancer Society, Diabetes Association, etc.... All this charitable work is Masonry in action. It is alright even for a Blue Lodge to do these kinds of deeds, but the main objective of of a Lodge should always be mostly concerned with making Master Masons. Most of these organizations have been instituted by Masons in the first place. Remember , we are the first fraternal organization. Most of the ones that followed copy after the teachings of Masonry. They have found their niche. Let us not forget or neglect ours.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Masonry should be concerned with the initiatic experience and if done right will create an army of men who go home and take their wifes and kids to do charity work. It was the mask that saved the craft after the Morgan affair but is now choking it's growth.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Masonry should be concerned with the initiatic experience and if done right will create an army of men who go home and take their wifes and kids to do charity work. It was the mask that saved the craft after the Morgan affair but is now choking it's growth.

we're not in the sanctum sanctorum, please explain more than that.

honestly, i hardly even understood some parts of your post... i understand the term "initiatic experience" to be "initial impression," correct? i guess it's not that i can't understand it, it's just that its somewhat ambiguous...

"the mask" saved the craft after the Morgan affair? in my opinion, the craft will never need saving... it's more of a rejuvenation of interest and the realization of importance BY GOOD MEN that revives masonry.

if it want to get *really* Nietzschic i'll talk about how the lessons of the craft aren't bound by men by any means. they are, however, realized by certain self realized beings in various forms throughout history taught through separate mysteries.

the best realization of the true craft is taught from father to son. it just became apparent in our time and age (within the past 400 years) that sometimes the father needs help teaching the son in an organized way.

if you want to go even deeper than THAT, then you'd say that teaching the lessons that masonry strives in an organized way is the worst possible way to teach the said goals, much the same way that the government run education strives to teach us things that can much better be taught through the controlled chaos method than the "lesson plan." these lessons are naturally realized by all mean by a natural inclination towards them... meaning that they *SHOULD* and *CAN* be realized by asking the simple question, "Why?"

perhaps i've gone too far on too many tangents, and thought too much about it?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
we're not in the sanctum sanctorum, please explain more than that.

honestly, i hardly even understood some parts of your post... i understand the term "initiatic experience" to be "initial impression," correct? i guess it's not that i can't understand it, it's just that its somewhat ambiguous...

"the mask" saved the craft after the Morgan affair? in my opinion, the craft will never need saving... it's more of a rejuvenation of interest and the realization of importance BY GOOD MEN that revives masonry.

No the initiatic experience is very diffrent from first impressions, the initiatic experience is a realization of the truth and wisdom within ones self. It is the moment when all things change and a huge bright light appears on your pathway of life. Which when you have trully had this experience you know quitely doing charity is key to attaining the next level.

The craft no dought did not need saving as it will survive no matter the tragedy that strikes it but that was for lack of better term, b/c it was saved in a way from the dark cave we where being thrown in b/c of some crazy rumnors. Masonry becam very unaccepted in those times and was all but gone when they decided to turn it into a vast money making charity machine which we are today.

owls84

Premium Member
I am so taking over my thread again, this weekend I attended the Grand Secretary's School of Lodge Administration and the Grand Secretary kept calling us "a charitable organization." After about the 5th time I heard this I asked, "According to the IRS, a 501(c)(10) we are a Fraternal Org. that is set up by a Lodge System. What requires us, lodges, to do charitable work?" R.W. Guest really didn't have an answer other then "we are charitable in nature," and R.W. Brummit informed me I need to read the law book, and even did me a favor and pulled one out and slammed it down infront of me to the article that stated how the GL system is set up.

What I was getting at was, if my Lodge does absolutly NO charity work, as a lodge, and we don't turn any activities in can we loose our property tax exemption, and even more our tax exempt status? After a group in the back answered my actual question the answer is no. Grand Lodge as a whole is the one that has these exemption and for me to loose my exemptions would mean GL would have lost their exemptions. All we have to do is show that we are "charitable in nature" not that we are a "charitable organization".

I was just glad that some people in the room could laugh at me and think I was a punk kid.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I was just glad that some people in the room could laugh at me and think I was a punk kid.

Man, I am still laughing. That was the funniest thing I'd seen in months. Brummit definitely showed you...:biggrin::beer:

Wingnut

Premium Member
Not sure what to make of this... seems there is some conflict in opinions on the legalities and the reality...

Is he saying we are a charitable organization? Is he saying Masonry as a Whole (ie shrine, SR, YR and Blue Lodge)? Just Blue Lodge? If yes, then why cant someone donate the work and supplies to rebuild a lodge? We were told that they couldnt because we are not a charity and therefore didnt qualify for the giver to get a tax credit...

owls84

Premium Member
I think it boils down to usage of words and that is why I origanally posted this. I keep hearing GL officials use the term "charitable organization" when in fact that is so far from the truth. Constituent Lodges are NOT charitable organizations and should not be called such. I think this sends a message to the public that we give our profits to charity. Also we are called "Non-Profit" when infact we CAN make a profit and do not lose our tax exemption status. By being a 501(C)(10) it allows us as lodges to be exempt from taxes because we are "fraternal activities are exclusively religious, charitable, or educational in nature and no insurance is provided for the members." In other words the confusion is because we keep using the wrong terms and that is what I was asking when some people that shall remain nameless got defensive and actually called me out later for my questions. But hey I'm the jackass for not accepting a BS answer.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
In the Masonic sense, charity is love in action with no need for recognition or reward. The act is it's own reward with it's own spiritual implications.

Charity is like prayer, it should be done in private and you shouldn't boast about it.

My brother, I must admit I agree with you, however, the new law that will go into effect January 1,2010, regarding relief for the lodges from paying property taxes will require all of us to report our charitable activities to prove that our fraternity is charitable in nature. I don't see most of our lodges having any problem proving this to be so. It will however take some discipline that we are not used to. I for one believe that someone or someones other than the Secretary should be responsible for this as most of our secretaries have enough work do do as it is.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
...to prove that our fraternity is charitable in nature.

Yeah, those are the key words. This is what the Grand Secretary was saying Saturday. They weren't saying we are a charitable organization, but that we were charitable in nature.

owls84

Premium Member
Here in lies a catch 22. With the tax exemption it is for Charitable Organizations and we have to show proof of such as part of our requirements which will eventually, in my opinion, make it mandatory for our Lodges to record and document ALL of the charitable works of the members. Problem is we are not a Charitable Organization nor are we required to be by the IRS. So if they make these charitable records mandatory what is an acceptable level of required charity? (Not really looking for an answer I just see potential issues coming from this property tax exemption)

Title of House Bill 2555 declairing we have property that is used "for charitable purposes"
"AN ACT
relating to the exemption from ad valorem taxation of certain
property acquired to provide low-income housing or used for
charitable purposes."

Just seems to be a stretch from what everyone is saying here.

Veiw the Bill Here

owls84

Premium Member
I think it is safe to say lets just sit and wait. There are probably going to be tons of issues or answers to these in the coming months. If anything, I hope that everyone gets that according to the IRS we are NOT a charitable organization and we can make a profit as long as our NET income goes to the fraternity use. We are charitable in nature.