My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Your Mark

MaineMason

Got mine, though it has not my mark on the other side, ours goes in the book. Looks, however, like one side of mine.

onthesquare

Although some of the uses of your mark are traditional,others are very practical. Read the reason for the penny that others have mentioned and how the mark relates.

Ed Nelson

I'm in the process of choosing my mark right now.
After the Mark Master degree, the Secretary showed me the book of marks, and I see some brothers have gone waaaaaay overboard with their marks...intricate, stylized designs od pictures and symbols that could never be chiseled into a stone.
I am leaning toward something very traditional and simplistic. If I needed to chisel it, I could do it in 4 strokes.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I am about to enter the YR and wanted to know....do you pick your mark from examples that are shown to you or can you simply make one of your own?

crono782

Premium Member
Mine ended up being a tad intricate, but that's okay. I don't intend on using it to mark much stonework. ;) it is representative of myself and I can reproduce it, that's all that matters to me.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Mine's very simple, horizontals, right-angles, and perpendiculars. I had also used it as an identifier for years before I became a Mason.

Willaim Perkins

At our York Rite meetings, it is mandatory for the members to have their coin on them as we do a "Mark Check" under 'good of the Order'. Failure to have it with you results in a $1 fine.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Mine is my Dad'sbrand, from the old days when he used to run a few cattle. As others have noted, it;s right angles, horizontals and perpendiculars, incorporates our initials, and isn't too hard to carve ;-)