My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commandery Uniform Changes

Willaim Perkins

Hand-me-downs can be a blessing. Our Commandery is blessed with some of that to include several swords, a couple of blouses, even my cheapeau is older than I am; however, not every Commandery is so lucky. But in the interest of the salvation and growth of our order I still desire to make a drastic change to our dress in order to make it attractive, comfortable and less expensive.

Willaim Perkins

We wear our uniforms, if you have one, for every meeting and for some other Masonic functions such as the Arch of Steel for installing the DeMolay Master Councilor. But I understand the expensive factor and want to make changes.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
A black suit could be worn in the symbolic lodge, chapter(s), and commandery.
In my jurisdiction in Chapter a crimson jacket is the uniform article. In Council a purple jacket is the uniform article. However, neither is a requirement.
I'm recently a fan of this: I dig the frock style coat with the baldric. IMO if the chapeau were paired w/ this, I'd wear it much more proudly.
In my Commandery the double breasted black jacket, black slacks, sword (silver for Sir knight, Gold for EC) and feathered chapeau is the uniform. Just recently gotten my my uniform and accessories. I very much like the current uniform.
What is the future of drill in the Commandery? Is it to be kept around?
I very much enjoy the drill.
As a former Instructor in the Marine Corps I hope drill never goes away
Same here
Hand-me-downs can be a blessing. Our Commandery is blessed with some of that to include several swords, a couple of blouses, even my cheapeau is older than I am; however, not every Commandery is so lucky.
Our Commandery has some items. Unfortunately, none that I could use.
We wear our uniforms, if you have one, for every meeting and for some other Masonic functions such as the Arch of Steel for installing the DeMolay Master Councilor.
Same in my Commandery. However, if a member does not wish to perform in the drills and ceremonies or hold office a uniform is not required.

I know that this is an old thread but it is one that very much interests me. That is why I am reviving it.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Do you mean the hook close to the hilt of your sword when you have everything on? If so, you can slip the sword a few inches out of the scabbard and put the hand guard in there to keep the sword/scabbard from swinging when you walk. It is primarily for when you are marching in a parade or something.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Do you mean the hook close to the hilt of your sword when you have everything on? If so, you can slip the sword a few inches out of the scabbard and put the hand guard in there to keep the sword/scabbard from swinging when you walk. It is primarily for when you are marching in a parade or something.
Thanks for the explaination Companion.