My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Context

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I agree....

....but at the same time my mind says "good luck with that"; when trying to tell if you can rely on the first statement... "if T is "truly" transcendent of P-A coupling"..... at end of the day "approaching zero" ≠ 0 and hence not T. Are you saying T is irrational ? Or T simply transcendent ? Or both :)

Let me take the disconnected approach. I'm not saying it. The argument is.;)

Bloke

Premium Member
Let me take the disconnected approach. I'm not saying it. The argument is.;)
Can we take this any further Coach ? The traditional thing would be to talk happiness.. but I think we both can have that conversation in our heads :)

Or do we look at ideal statements like "all men are equal" .. but we both know where those conversations will end.. (I think)

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Can we take this any further Coach ? The traditional thing would be to talk happiness.. but I think we both can have that conversation in our heads :)
Yes. Agreed.
Or do we look at ideal statements like "all men are equal" .. but we both know where those conversations will end.. (I think)
Is "all men are equal" the original statement or is it merely a truncated version of its source material where it sounds like it's right but it is so abridged that it loses all context and therefor meaning with the original intent?

Bloke

Premium Member
Yes. Agreed.

Is "all men are equal" the original statement or is it merely a truncated version of its source material where it sounds like it's right but it is so abridged that it loses all context and therefor meaning with the original intent?
We can play with it however you like brother ;)

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
... but I think we both can have that conversation in our heads :)...
But doing so would not allow for opportunity to contest, recheck and further refine. Not to mention the tremendous loss of teachable moments.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
OR is the secrect to happiness faith ? ... And if so, faith in the decisions leading to happiness ? Or something else ?
The core of happiness is "chance contentment"; that's where the "hap" in "happy" comes from. It is not contentment alone. It is contentment by chance.

This indicates that seeking happiness is to look for contentment to occur randomly and not by design.

Of course, one can increase the odds in one's favor, but it still by chance and out of one's control.

However, one can improve those odds to 100% by merely choosing to be content with whatever happens. That is in one's control.

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
"happenstance" ?... Pretend happiness ? ...Isn't a decision a selection of a choice ?
Decision: A selection of an option that "cuts off" and discards other options where concern for lose is involved.
Choice: A selection where other options and the ramifications of not selecting them are of no concern whatsoever.

Bloke

Premium Member
Okay.

So I looked happenstance up, having never heard of the word and just also found out about the relationship between the Norse God Hap and the word happiness.

( its probably not a great source but reflects several others
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-definition-and-etymology-of-happiness ).

Etymology is good but at the end of the day we need to make our own informed decisions about what we think about these things and find our own "transcendent of P-A coupling" on happiness. I think happiness is much more reliant on the internal rather than external and think that actually might be a Truth. Perhaps I'm thinking more of happiness as akin to the Buddhist concept of Enlightenment, but they are a simile and not the same.

The problem with the given definition of decision is that it suggested once on is made, it cannot be changed, or would you say a decision requires total commitment? I can hear Glenn chiming in with something about "you've never met my wife" :)

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Okay.

So I looked happenstance up, having never heard of the word and just also found out about the relationship between the Norse God Hap and the word happiness.

( its probably not a great source but reflects several others
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-definition-and-etymology-of-happiness ).

Etymology is good but at the end of the day we need to make our own informed decisions about what we think about these things and find our own "transcendent of P-A coupling" on happiness.
...and choices :D
I think happiness is much more reliant on the internal rather than external ...
Agreed!
...and think that actually might be a Truth.
or a state of being...
Perhaps I'm thinking more of happiness as akin to the Buddhist concept of Enlightenment, but they are a simile and not the same.
Not sure the two equate or at least, not in my mind.
The problem with the given definition of decision is that it suggested once on is made, it cannot be changed, or would you say a decision requires total commitment?
Some decisions can't be reversed. Others upon reversal, mitigate/reverse/change the loss but by their very nature, create new ones. :eek:
I can hear Glenn chiming in with something about "you've never met my wife" :)
LOL! :p

Center

If you have not studied the Trivium, Plato's Works would be over your head. Plato's works are categorically "Philosophy". If you were following the classic scholastic education, you would not be permitted to touch his works until you finished your Quadrivium studies.

Dear coach, I am really fascinated by the reception of Plato in the middle age, could you please confirm me that you are making an hypothesis ( as is likely but not sure from the..context) in the meaning that philosophy was studied after the Trivium and Quadrivium? As far as I know Plato was circulating really underground, if not secretly, during that "scholastic" time, in particular was available to the chosen few a fantastic Latin version of "the Parmenides" one of the most difficult and demanding book I have tried to read in my life, and if I well recall "The Timaeus", for the rest there was a lot of Aristotle going on, that at my really personal advice was not representative to interpret the platonic thought, although was a first class student of the Platonic Academy. I really like Plato, actually is my favorite human being, and would like to understand if you are referring to a particular source in the case was not a supposition to explain the role of the philosophy in the Trivium and Quadrivium. Thank you very much.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Dear coach, I am really fascinated by the reception of Plato in the middle age, could you please confirm me that you are making an hypothesis ( as is likely but not sure from the..context) in the meaning that philosophy was studied after the Trivium and Quadrivium? As far as I know Plato was circulating really underground, if not secretly, during that "scholastic" time, in particular was available to the chosen few a fantastic Latin version of "the Parmenides" one of the most difficult and demanding book I have tried to read in my life, and if I well recall "The Timaeus", for the rest there was a lot of Aristotle going on, that at my really personal advice was not representative to interpret the platonic thought, although was a first class student of the Platonic Academy. I really like Plato, actually is my favorite human being, and would like to understand if you are referring to a particular source in the case was not a supposition to explain the role of the philosophy in the Trivium and Quadrivium. Thank you very much.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholasticism