My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Entered apprentice

helipilot

I completed my initiation 3 weeks ago. I'm unable to attend evening classes due to my work schedule. I was informed by the lodge officer who teaches the EA degree that I would be placed into a future class in the fall due to my lack of attendance. This was also done with quite a bit off attitude like I was neglecting the class on purpose. I have all intention of completing the class however my job providing my income does come first. Will I be removed from the lodge if I don't complete the EA within a certain period of time. And if so, may I rejoin?

Freemason Connect HD

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I'm not familiar with EAs working in a class, so I have no advice for you. I will parrot Brother Bill in asking which GL you are under, though.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I completed my initiation 3 weeks ago. I'm unable to attend evening classes due to my work schedule. I was informed by the lodge officer who teaches the EA degree that I would be placed into a future class in the fall due to my lack of attendance. This was also done with quite a bit off attitude like I was neglecting the class on purpose. I have all intention of completing the class however my job providing my income does come first.

There are lodges that do so many degrees they conduct their proficiency coaching in groups in the evening. My mother lodge had a brother who conducted first degree proficiency classes in his back yard one evening for a bunch of lodges in the area, second degree the next, then degree degree coaching individually so I recall doing this. If this is what you mean by the word "class".

Often the word "class" is used for groups of candidates all getting degrees in batches which doesn't appear to be what you mean here.

Ask at lodge. Explain that you work nights so you need to be coached during the day. There are generally retired brothers who would be happy to do that with you - Many of these brothers are no longer active at lodge but they would like to contribute somehow. Take this path and it's a win-win for everyone involved.

Will I be removed from the lodge if I don't complete the EA within a certain period of time. And if so, may I rejoin?

That does depend on the jurisdiction so you'll need to ask locally. As long as you are in fact working on your proficiency somehow and attending lodge with some amount of regularity even it is not frequently, you may need to file some paperwork to keep your status active. Get day coaching with some retired brother and this may not be an issue.

California answer - If you show no activity they will remove your name from their active list in 5 years but can be restored to active status with an informal petition to your own lodge. The California timing appears longer than most jurisdictions that have formal timing rules.