My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etiquette when meeting the Grand Master

rpbrown

Premium Member
I was at the Family Day this weekend and saw that the Grand Master was making stops at various booths. I had an EA working our booth with me when he stopped to greet us. I rose and explained to the new EA he should rise as well. We both shook his hand and exchanged pleasantries and then he continued his journey.

As I watched him stop at various booths, I noticed that some men would stand and others wouldn't. Now, I don't know if it was a case of them not knowing who he was or just, in my opinion, poor etiquette. I also watched these same men not stand to greet any of the DDGM's that were walking around and they were all dressed in white shirts with name badges on.

Is it just me or has our crafts manners gone by the wayside? I was raised to stand to shake anyone's hand, not just a dignitaries. But I think (again, just my .02) that at least stand to shake the hand of the GLoT officers whether you agree with their views or not.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
It is etiquette to stand to great someone regardless of who they are freemason or not.

imho.

My age is mid 30's and that is how I was raised.

crono782

Premium Member
I was there and met him. He caught me unaware and I forgot to stand. >.< I realized it a min or so after, but it was too late by then. First time is met him so it shocked me a bit.

My Freemasonry HD

bupton52

Premium Member
Anyone that is a member of the International Association of Turtles would recognize who is allowed to stand or sit when shaking hands as a familiar question. YBYSAIA

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
I was there and met him. He caught me unaware and I forgot to stand. >.< I realized it a min or so after, but it was too late by then. First time is met him so it shocked me a bit.

A couple of MWGMs I have encountered liked working a crowd. They'd work at encountering brothers unawares so there's no chance to stand.

I prefer standing to greet pretty much anyone new. Some specifically say to not stand. I try to remember who those friends are but often forget in favor of the more general standing.

BroBook

Premium Member
Anyone that is a member of the International Association of Turtles would recognize who is allowed to stand or sit when shaking hands as a familiar question. YBYSAIA

What!!! Anyway excuse my feet my brethren !!!

My Freemasonry HD

KyPastMaster

Since I can only relate to my own jurisdiction this is how I will answer ....... It depends on where you meet them . When not in a lodge setting I greet them by their first name or by "Brother" and if I am seated (in the dining room for instance) when they approach me , I stay seated . I am not in the best of health any longer and getting up and down is a chore .

Thankfully our GMs' (in my jurisdiction) for the most part do not go on power trips and wish to treated like the regular brethren they are and do not expect us to bend over backwards to kiss their butts (though some do break their necks to rub elbows with a GL officer) and i am not saying this is the case when rising to greet the GM . Many are old and infirm and getting up and down to shake hands of those you greet is...... well , you know what I am getting at .

But , as someone else stated , greet them as you would any other brethren . If you prefer to stand and greet your brethren then do so .

JJones

If someone is your senior in any way, be it age, position, etc, it's my opinion you should raise to shake their hand.

KyPastMaster

If someone is your senior in any way, be it age, position, etc, it's my opinion you should raise to shake their hand.

That's easy to say when you can rise . I CAN , but it causes to much pain to do so so I remain seated when I do not have to stand ( Prayers and certain sections of ritual) . Has nothing to do with disrespect and those around me understand this .

JJones

True, I didn't think about that but I don't expect certain brethren to hop up and down if they have difficulty with it. I think the GM would understand. :)

bezobrazan

I always stand when I meet someone because I never know if I have to run for it!

But in all seriousness, I always make an effort to stand, although I have been caught unawares a few times.

My Freemasonry HD

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I also was taught to stand when approached by someone. Masonic protocol dictates that the Grand Master should be properly addressed, whether in a Lodge setting or not. If in the presence of Masons only, he is to be addressed as "Most Worshipful". If in mixed company (Brethren & profane) he should be addressed as "Grand Master". I would only address him by his first name if we were personal friends and were not in any kind of Masonic setting, tyled or otherwise, unless he asked to addressed as such. Remember- you are showing respect for the office, not necessarily the individual.

rpbrown

Premium Member
Although I understand some circumstances such as health that do not allow someone to stand to greet someone. A couple of years ago I had knee surgery and couldn't stand. But even, when approached, I would say something to the nature of "forgive me for not standing but my health won't allow it".

The men that I was talking about in my original post were of all ages, shapes and sizes. Most being quite a bit younger than I am so I don't really see an excuse other than poor manners. As a youngster, I was raised to stand to greet anyone, but especially someone my senior in age or rank (so to speak).

Had this been later in the day I could almost understand it as everyone working the booths were tired. But this was right after the event opened.