My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally attended Lodge

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
After a year or so hiatus, I finally attended a Stated Meeting at my home lodge and what a sweet welcome it was. The Brethren were inviting, the food was great and seeing the "new" guys dressed in suits was nice. That being said, it was the second "Official" DDGM visit to the Lodge. While our R.W. did an excellent job with his presentation, the message was lacking.

It was a generic "be proud of Freemasonry" message that you hear every year, with the exception that we should donate more money to upkeep the Grand Lodge facility in Waco. I love my GL, it served us well during the time when our numbers were significantly higher than now, but it shouldn't become a hindrance for the remaining membership. How much is spent on the building vs. Masonic education?

If I had the option, I would sell the Grand Lodge building, build a new administrative office and cutting edge/informative Texas Masonry museum and simply rent/host GL sessions at various convention centers throughout Texas. Wouldn't this be more cost effective?

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I am glad that you finally made it back inside the door... Too many past masters never come back to Lodge after their year!

JJones

I didn't know you were taking a hiatus but I'm glad to hear everything went so well.

To be honest, the DDGM presentations always seemed pretty generic to me.

I'm in agreement about the GL building...but I do like having grand sessions in Waco since it's only an hour away from me. :laugh:

Mac

Premium Member
Welcome back, brother. I myself am on sort of a hiatus, but I think the lodge will benefit from your fresh perspective.

Sent via mobile app (Freemason Connect HD)

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Welcome back, Blake, sorry it wasn't as fulfilling as it could have been.

I'm presently in limbo myself. There are three Lodges in the area, but only one has peaked my interest, so I'll remain a visitor for now.

cacarter

Premium Member
The second visit of the DDGM was this last Saturday and he gave a good speech about ways to increase the lodge's presence in the community. A lot of the stuff he suggested our lodge already does, and the DDGM is a member of our lodge.

He also brought up the Grand Lodge building and whether we might lose it or not since the renovation bill is in the millions and the money raised only $200,000+. I personally think it's a lost cause. Yes it's a beautiful edifice, but when it was built the membership in Texas was 300,000. Now, we stand at only 85,000. (Numbers provided by the DDGM after looking at the rolls at GLoTX.) So yes, selling and then renting out different convention centers would be more cost effective.

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
The second visit of the DDGM was this last Saturday and he gave a good speech about ways to increase the lodge's presence in the community. A lot of the stuff he suggested our lodge already does, and the DDGM is a member of our lodge.

He also brought up the Grand Lodge building and whether we might lose it or not since the renovation bill is in the millions and the money raised only $200,000+. I personally think it's a lost cause. Yes it's a beautiful edifice, but when it was built the membership in Texas was 300,000. Now, we stand at only 85,000. (Numbers provided by the DDGM after looking at the rolls at GLoTX.) So yes, selling and then renting out different convention centers would be more cost effective.

We also, in my affiliate lodge, had the second official visit from our DDGM, although, he sort of stuttered and stammered his way through his presentation about giving the "gift of life" and reminding us about "Pride, Respect and Communication", and that the Grand Lodge fund was over $200,000, but they needed more from us. I will keep my opinions to myself regarding these matters. Of course, the 1st Tuesday of October, I will get to hear him go through it all again at my Mother Lodge (San Angelo #570).