My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FM a She?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Mother_01.JPG

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
I can not know because in the 15 years that I have been a Mason I have never heard the Lodge referred to as Mother. My question is can I possibly find out why?

dfreybur

Premium Member
I can not know because in the 15 years that I have been a Mason I have never heard the Lodge referred to as Mother. My question is can I possibly find out why?

The term "mother lodge" is very common when dealing with petitions for affiliation and demit requests.

We are all brothers. We are all widow's sons. It adds up but the only gender reference I know of other than posts in this thread is the term "mother lodge".

Canadian Paul

The term 'Mother Lodge' (meaning the lodge in which you were Initiated) is almost an official term in the GL of Scotland. It appears in the EA Obligation in the ritual used by my 'Mother Lodge'. Grand Lodge itself refers to the lodges under it as 'daughter lodges' in 'The Constitution and Laws'. My lodge would refer to other lodges in the area as 'sister lodges'. We refer to the Grand Lodge of Newfoundland and Labrador as our 'sister constitution' or 'sister jurisdiction'. The first lodge on the Roll of the GL of Scotland, Lodge Killwinning No. O, (yes 'zero!) is often referred to as 'Mother Killwinning' as at one time it chartered 'daughter lodges'. The custom of referring to freemasonry as somehow 'feminine' is very old indeed. As to WHY it is so - like a lot in freemasonry, it is just 'because it always has been'!